Cornet 2 up and running

nimrod

Cornet 2 up and running
« on: 7 May 2008, 08:35 pm »
Just fired up my Cornet 2. No fire, no smoke, just glorious music! The only problem, if you can call it that, was the LED. I had a 50/50 shot at getting it right, and, of course, got it backwards. No real way to tell which way it's supposed to go. Mine, at least, didn't have any kind of 'tab'. Heck, I'll take that kind of 'problem' any day. I listen only thru headphones, and get a tiny, and I do mean tiny, bit of hum in the left channel, but only at idle. I'm running Solen signal caps (Auricaps are little too pricey right now), as well as upgraded RCA jacks, in the Lansing case, and so far am very pleased. This is a great project. Thanks, Jim, for helping this DIY junkie out.

taskerc

Re: Cornet 2 up and running
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2008, 12:07 am »
Congrats Nimroy!

Finished my recently as well and it is sooo nice.  The hum could be related to a tube so let it settle in for a bit.

I really like my Cornet2 ...

taskerc

Theo

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2008, 04:58 pm »
Congrats Nimroy!

Finished my recently as well and it is sooo nice.  The hum could be related to a tube so let it settle in for a bit.

I really like my Cornet2 ...

taskerc

Yes agree.  Tubes do make a difference.  I heard slight hum with a pair of JJ 12AX7, but after replacing with a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPS it's dead silent and sounds sweeter to boot.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2008, 05:11 pm by Theo »

amandarae

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2008, 08:36 pm »
Just fired up my Cornet 2. No fire, no smoke, just glorious music! The only problem, if you can call it that, was the LED. I had a 50/50 shot at getting it right, and, of course, got it backwards. No real way to tell which way it's supposed to go. Mine, at least, didn't have any kind of 'tab'. Heck, I'll take that kind of 'problem' any day. I listen only thru headphones, and get a tiny, and I do mean tiny, bit of hum in the left channel, but only at idle. I'm running Solen signal caps (Auricaps are little too pricey right now), as well as upgraded RCA jacks, in the Lansing case, and so far am very pleased. This is a great project. Thanks, Jim, for helping this DIY junkie out.

Congrats!  You will enjoy the Cornet 2 for a long long time!

regards,

Abe

frankford1

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2008, 12:15 am »
I just finished my coronet II this week aswell, It sounded pretty bad when I fired it up. I ended up turning down the gain on my amp and running a reel to reel thru it non stop for two days. I swapt the tt back in today and it is starting to come around. I am waiting on parts and the board for the clarinet and I will be in buisness.

Big Jim

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2008, 04:55 am »
I like the Solen and Axon caps a ton. I have tried Auricaps before and was totally unimpressed for the money spent. I guess it comes down to personal preference and what floats your boat.   :thumb: