Which tubes to damp first?

roscoeiii

Which tubes to damp first?
« on: 6 May 2010, 02:43 am »

I am a total newbie in the tube world, and just got a SET 45 amp. Having had great experience with Herbie's tenderfeet and big dots, my thoughts immediately went to the highly recommended tube dampers. But being on a tight budget right now and not able to get dampers for all my tubes right away I wanted to ask which tubes does it make the greatest difference to use dampers with? Input? Output? Rectifier?

Or is it more dependent on the actual tube type? In my case the types would be a 6SL7, 45 and 1-5Y3.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Which tubes to damp first?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2010, 03:42 am »
Generally, all tubes are susceptible to distortions caused by micro-vibrations and microphonics. This will vary amongst individual tubes and components. For each person that we've had report that damping the input tubes made the greatest difference, another has indicated that damping output tubes made the most difference.

With all factors equal, I recommend damping the rectifier tube first. Damping the rectifier is usually significant and often influences an improvement with the other tubes as well. Next the input, then the output if you feel your system still needs a further nudge in the direction it's going.

Because tubes work together in a complementary manner, sometimes you don't realize the full potential of damping say, just the input tubes. Though reducing grunge significantly at the input, some grunge is put right back again at the output. And vice-versa; if you're amplifying a grungy pre-amplified signal, it will be grungy no matter how pure the amplification itself is at the power tubes.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:01 am by Herbie »