I have heard these make a difference
20 (23.3%)
I am offended by such writing
4 (4.7%)
I want to know more about their ability to protect my equipment
12 (14%)
I like the idea of making my own
3 (3.5%)
I have heard from users that these make a difference, but I don't believe it.
16 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Tuning Fuses

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Tuning Fuses
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2012, 01:53 pm »
Bob Cordell in his new book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" touches on fuses at least 3 times.  On page 269, he measures low frequency speaker fuse distortion at about 0.0033%.

JakeJ

« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2012, 12:51 am »
Roger, I don't think your post got past the Audiogon censors. At least I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I will try to point that thread back over here one more time or copy your post here and see if I can get it through.

Gee, that's not surprising.  Maybe they are getting kickbacks from HiFi Tuning (or whatever the mfr is named).

dsrviola

• Professional musician. Amatuer auidiophile.
    • My DIY speaker projects
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2012, 12:05 pm »
Different fuses can alter the sound. No, I've never used any of these expensive tweeky fuses. I'm betting not all of the various manufacturers of fuses are as described by the OP. There is more than one manufacturer. Are they all of lower quality construction? I don't know. I do know that switching between a stock slo blow to a fast blow of the same rating changed the sound, as did switching to one of the same ratings with a different body construction (glass v.s. ceramic? not sure what the body was, but it was opaque) Sometimes the change in sound is subtle, sometimes dramatic. YMMV.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:57 am »
Roger, I don't think your post got past the Audiogon censors. At least I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I will try to point that thread back over here one more time or copy your post here and see if I can get it through.

Oh it got there and some thankful commentary. Here is my post http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1335381323&openflup&121&4#121

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:05 am »
Are we audiophiles anally retentive?  I think a pretty good case can be made for yes.  Some of us, anyway.  Speaking of the subject, I have an aversion to that word, audiophile.  Anybody else?

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:21 am »
Part of the problem is that it is human nature to deny one has been conned or swindled for the fear of embarrassment, especially when money is involved.  If one just spent several hundreds of dollars on tuning fuses, they will hear an improvement to not feel like a fool. 

It would be interesting to have those who say they can hear a difference to be subject to a blind a/b test and see if they actually can.

Much of it is common sense that they will not alter the tone/sound, but we as part of the human race are emotional creatures, some more than others.

Jim

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:22 am »
I would like to thank the op for the effort put into writing about what is the problem with aftermarket fuses.
I confess I use some aftermarket fuses on the midrange and treble fuse slots in my Magnepan speakers.. but would not put them in any electronics for the reasons so aptly given.

On the other hand I have to say it is possible some of those fuses may make a hearable difference. But whether that is worth the risk? is up to the owner.
(it is not worth the risk to me)
I agree fuses are very carefully designed and made by the major companies who produce them.

But those 'audiophile' creations may or may not be anything at all like what is called for. None of the Audiophile fuses have much info about them.
Other than directionality.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jun 2012, 06:39 am »
medium jim. just the name cracks me up.  too cool for school.  keep em coming.

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jun 2012, 09:13 am »
Speaking of the subject, I have an aversion to that word, audiophile.

Well, since you ask... ;) I don't, in fact I think it's a perfectly good word.

cab

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jun 2012, 01:15 pm »
It is also human nature to denigrate that which is unknown or unfamiliar, that which is not understood, or that which is seemingly at odds with one's preconceptions.....

Just like power cords, line conditioners, or any other tweek, your mileage may vary. All have their advocates and detractors. If one doesn't believe in them, fine, don't buy them. It doesn't make you better, smarter, or bigger to dump on those that do....

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #30 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:02 pm »
Thanks for your sage comments Roger.

Frank Van Alstine

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jun 2012, 05:38 pm »
Thanks for your sage comments Roger.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, thanks for saying hi and your support for what is real.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:06 pm »
Well, since you ask... ;) I don't, in fact I think it's a perfectly good word.
It literally means loving if I looked it up correctly, not obsessive/compulsive as I had thought :o

medium jim

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:18 pm »
Just to keep it real, my anger is not directed towards anyone who buys or enjoys tuning fuses, but is towards the makers who knowingly sell them as being something they're not.  It is the ugly side of audiofidelity, e.g., to profit at the expense of others. 

If I came off as being arrogant, I sincerely apologize as that was never my intent or desire.  The best thing that can happen is that common sense kicks in and the scoundrels that are making these so called Hi-Fi Fuses get exposed for what they are. 

So again, I apologize to anyone that I have offended for my posts regarding them.

Sincerely,

Jim

IkeH

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jun 2012, 02:16 pm »
Interesting...

I must admit that I do use them and to my ears they do make a difference.  However, if they do not adequately protect the equipment, then that is a different story and I am quite shocked!

In the past, my experience with the HiFi Tuning Fuses were that they do blow very easily to the point that the importer actually recommended me to use a slightly higher rated fuse.   I am wondering if something had changed...  Thinking about it, they do not not blow as easily as they used to... bit fishy...  May be I should stop using them...

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jul 2012, 09:28 pm »
Interesting...

I must admit that I do use them and to my ears they do make a difference.  However, if they do not adequately protect the equipment, then that is a different story and I am quite shocked!

In the past, my experience with the HiFi Tuning Fuses were that they do blow very easily to the point that the importer actually recommended me to use a slightly higher rated fuse.   I am wondering if something had changed...  Thinking about it, they do not not blow as easily as they used to... bit fishy...  May be I should stop using them...

That is interesting and perhaps a good reason to stop using them. From the ones I took apart they show a lack of knowledge of how a fuse is made and how one works. For instance, the element is housed in a small diameter Teflon sleeve which actually contains the vaporized element thus making it the opposite of what a high breaking fuse is intended to do. This is why they are totally unsuitable for DC circuits, particularly as tube fuse.

I am shocked that these fuses are even made available to the unsuspecting public.