NX-Otica MTM only vs. NX-Otica, both w/ OB Subs - Sound Differences?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
It would be nice if these variants were on the Gr website so people could easily see what they are instead of having to search around Audio Circle to figure out what's what.

Rocket Ronny

Danny Richie

It would be nice if these variants were on the Gr website so people could easily see what they are instead of having to search around Audio Circle to figure out what's what.

Rocket Ronny

I'll get it all up. I'm going as fast as I can.

morganc

Rocket Ronny

If in your searching around, or anyone's for that matter, would you mind starting a new thread for each :)).  I can't find them either ( I only had a few minutes spare to look). 

Captainhemo

Did a quick search  of the GR forum,  here  yo u guys go
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153434.new#new

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Yeah, I appreciate all the ideas, but money is kind of tight right now. I'm still paying off the partial basement finish these guys will go in. 1st step might be just one dual OB sub with the A370. Plop it down in between my existing speakers and see how it sounds. If funds become available, then I can add another dual OB sub and amp. Then, if still not content, maybe sell the Mini's and Ref3's and get into the NX-Otica's.
Now if someone has some used NX-Oticas (one t) or OB subs they are wanting to get rid of I could go that route too! I may not be able to resist a modestly priced pair of Super V's either.  :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151617.msg1621320#msg1621320

gaelen5

I totally agree with what Jay said earlier in this thread. Here's my additional 2 cents.

I've heard the NX-Otica without subs, and I was impressed at how low they went. Even in Don's big open room they were pretty solid, so I could see some people could happily using them without subs. I have a pair of MTM's, and I would not recommend using them without subs. However, I've heard both the NX-Otica and the NX-Treme, and I'm completely happy with my MTMs and subs. 

The subs are insanely good though, and really easy to integrate. So, +1 for getting subs first.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Danny, 
So it’s probably been a while since you heard the Strata Minis.  Do you think the MTM would be a worthy improvement over the Minis? (not using the built in subs, using OB subs)

I’m really enjoying the minis right now but when I see all of these new designs I get the upgradeitus itch.  :lol:

Danny Richie

Danny, 
So it’s probably been a while since you heard the Strata Minis.  Do you think the MTM would be a worthy improvement over the Minis? (not using the built in subs, using OB subs)

I’m really enjoying the minis right now but when I see all of these new designs I get the upgradeitus itch.  :lol:

That would be a significant upgrade.

VinceT

I had been lstening to a  pair of  MTM's with  upgraded networks for quite some time ( about  2 or 3 months I  guess).  We were pretty impressed with them, they were paired with a pair of dual 12" servo subs.
Recently   we finished off a pair of NX-Tremes and they are now up at Don's place so the Ottica's  came back down Here.  I've got them paired wit ghe same pair of  dual 12" servos. 
 Now that the Otticas are back in the loop, I honestly feel they are  just simply better.... the trade off would be the   NQ's are not high passed  in the  MTm's but that really doesn't seem to make a big diff, it really ends up being in the mid bass  region.  The pair of Otticas  just does the those frequencies  much better, those extra 4 woofers that ease the workload of the NQ's   make  a  bigger difference.than the NQ's not being high pased in the MTM's.   Clarity and definition in the  lower mid bass reginon is impotnat and although I didn't really feel it was missing / lacking with the MTM's,  clearly  the Ottica's  do a better  job of reproducing it.
If you don't have the space for the Ottica's and subs, the MTM's are an exeleent alternative,  you  won't even   know what you are missing.  But if you have the room ,  really consider the  Otica's.

If you  have a  large room and  love huge sound stages,    ,  the  NX-Tremes will  be right up your ally.   The Ottica's  up ast Don;'s  paired with the set of  triple servo subs was killer  but  now that the  NX-Tremes are in there, the     stage they  throw is truely impressive and I fully expect them to get better with some time. 

All the NX speakers have a similar sound which  is to be expected being they share the same  tweeter and mid  range  drivers.  All have great off axis response, not a big  changes  whether  one is  in the chair  or standing.  You've also got a pretty narrow baffle width so imaging  is very good throughout  the  lineup

jay

I have been seraching on the forums and came across this older post regarding the NX-Otica MTM vs NX-Otica in regards to comparing the mid bass region of the two speakers. In my living area I cannot have the NX-Otica with servo subs, I simply do not have the room for 4 speaker positions in my home layout. Since the servo subs go up to 200hz, would using a tiple servo sub with the NX-MTM stacked on top get you closer to the low mid fullness of the standard NX-Otica?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
The issue with using the triple servo stack as stands is that they're likely going to be too tall for use as stands. At least not without tilting the MTMs downwards towards the listening position, or raising your seat to a high enough position to reach the tweeter.

Plus the mids above the 200Hz range are still gunna be a little thin
by comparison since they're reliant on just the two NQ drivers for everything from 200 to ~1500Hz rather than the NQ drivers & 4 M165 woofers, splitting that workload which will take over for the upper range of the subs and lower range of the NQs.

But if you're working in a more nearfield environment, thanks to a smaller room setup, it's likely going to be less of an issue, than if they were in a bigger room.

VinceT

This configuration puts the tweeter at about 56 inches, so yes it would be a little tall.

I thought about too maybe using the dual servo subs and doubling the NQ drivers. You could cross over at 100 or so hz while lowering the tweeter roughly 10 inches to roughly 46-47 inches from the ground. But again how much are you gaining by adding two more NQ drivers to the mid bass region?

I keep thinking back to all your renderings in the "Fun with Speaker Design" thread working on this same issue with trying to get the most out of two speaker positions fpr people with possible space limitations.

corndog71

The dual OB servo subs are still extremely effective.

VinceT

Right now looking at the Wedgie or NX-otica MTM stacked on a dual servo sub at some point in the future. Of course hearing the NX-otica and NX-treme clips if there is anyway to get closer to the that utilizing 2 speaker positions I am all for it.  Also to me its' fun thinking about this stuff.

jn316

I am wrapping up my build of dual OB subs and plan on either using the NX-Otica MTM or, as a stretch goal, the Super 7 MTM (pending Neo 10 drivers) on top of it. Would the NX-Otica be a little better than the MTM version? Yes. Would the NX-Treme be a little better still? Yes. But if I go the duals w/ Otica MTM route, I am convinced that I won't regret it one bit once they are up and running! A lot of that depends on what you are used to hearing in your system. For me, it will be a significant upgrade.

Gary

VinceT

There would be no regrets either way. I am not saying I would not be happy with the Otica MTMs or Wedgies on top of a dual servo sub. It would most definitely be a huge upgrade to anything I have ever owned and I know I would be very happy with the result. I think it will be a fantastic speaker.

For me I am newer to the hobby and most of you can probably tell. I really enjoy the process of learning about this hobby. I love researching this stuff and of course if I spend the money if there are other potential options I want to explore them all. I am convinced the GR Research products will be my next upgrade. Just have to see how all the Corona stuff and how the economy holds up with everything going on. It seems I have a little time to learn more and see what else Danny has in the development pipeline before I make my final decision.

corndog71

That’s the best way.  I always research and read as much as I can before buying.

morganc

There would be no regrets either way. I am not saying I would not be happy with the Otica MTMs or Wedgies on top of a dual servo sub. It would most definitely be a huge upgrade to anything I have ever owned and I know I would be very happy with the result. I think it will be a fantastic speaker.

For me I am newer to the hobby and most of you can probably tell. I really enjoy the process of learning about this hobby. I love researching this stuff and of course if I spend the money if there are other potential options I want to explore them all. I am convinced the GR Research products will be my next upgrade. Just have to see how all the Corona stuff and how the economy holds up with everything going on. It seems I have a little time to learn more and see what else Danny has in the development pipeline before I make my final decision.

If you're patient there are always things available used in due time.