TX102 w/CD & Tuner: switch gain and input together?

SteveC

'd be nice (maybe imperative) to use 0dB for CD & +6dB with the tuner, without adding another switch (almost omitted tuner, but...).  Selector switch to basically toggle gain with source.  It looks like I can do this.  Can anyone confirm or deny?  'ppreciate it.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2004, 02:21 pm »
Hello!

It is a good goal to do this and it can be done - but you'd need a 4 deck switch (or a 4 pole toggle if only 2 sources) per channel to do it. Uou do end up with a switch contact in there that would otherwise not be there if you hardwired for +6 or 0db though.... It is still a bit ahead contact wise to the second toggle normally used for gain select.  

Basically in 0db mode the -- and the + lines of the primary have to connect to each other. In + 6 mode -- goes to the input ground (along with the - primary wire) and + to the input hot (along with ++ primary wire).  To make all there connections work out you need a pole of the switch for each of the 4 primary leads.

If you want to go for it I have a few 4 pole toggles here that could be used. If you have more than 2 sources then I am afraid we'd have to get the switch in special as I don't stock 4 deck source select rotary switches.

Thansk!

John

SteveC

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:13 pm »
Hi, John

I would actually prefer to toggle, since the two sources are all I'll ever use.  One switch, or one per channel?  Email the particulars, and I'll mail ya another money-order for it/them.

Thanx,
Steve Connors

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:25 pm »
Hello!

It is one per channel - to do it with one switch would need an 8 pole toggle - something I have never seen! I will e-mail to sort out details.

Thanks!

John

SteveC

All-righty-then!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2004, 04:37 pm »
I'll mount the two toggles on the back, and build a lever that'll switch 'em both together.  Havin' some fun now!

Cameron Brook

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2004, 12:49 pm »
Quote from: John Chapman
Hello!

It is one per channel - to do it with one switch would need an 8 pole toggle - something I have never seen! I will e-mail to sort out details.

Thanks!

John

An alternative would be to use a rotary switch such as the Elma 04 series, which can be fitted with as many wafers as you want.
 These wafers are available with:-
1 pole x 24 position
2 pole x 11 position
3 pole x 7 position
4 pole x 5 position
6 pole x 3 position

Or you could use relays :-)

Cam

SteveC

What a freakin' hobby!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2004, 05:23 pm »
I decided to just build a pair of mini-monitors for the tuner, and buy a little integrated for it.  CD-only for the TVC/DIY quad-amp setup.  Two systems otter be better 'an one.