cvictorg

http://www.marshallchoong.co.uk/products.htm

If you have I need your opinion of the company and the products

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Anybody in this forum hear of Marshall Choong loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:32 am »
cvictorg and I have been PM'ing back and forth a bit so I thought I'd share some of it with everyone and see what your thoughts are.

cvictorg is intrigued with the product line because of the extensive experience of the founders, I thought the experience a little thin and would like to see more work with a major name brand, or at least well known boutique brand.  Feeling speakers are more of an art than science, one wants a more seasoned chef in the kitchen.  I'll quote their web site blurb, do you think I'm too much of a ninny here?

"Marshall Choong was founded by Phil Marshall and John Choong in 2003 with a combined experience in the audio industry of over 60 years.

Phil's life long interest in electronics and audio began as a career at Dolby Laboratories in the early '70's, at an exciting time for the industry.

John is an industrial designer with a strong interest in audio. He has worked as a consultant for companies such as NAD Electronics and Tag McLaren."

I've haven't heard of the brand previously, nor heard them in person obviously.  Don't know if cvictorg has or not, perhaps he can reply here. 

cvictorg

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:35 pm »
My point is this - a great many speakers these days are either sold ID only or are not available for in store audition.  Going on boards like this and AVS one sees that the vast majority of posts are about a very small number of speaker brands.

My point is that unless you've actually heard the speakers in person - which would then be dependent on the room, room treatments, electronics, recording used, etc - or you believe the reviews in various publications (assuming the brand has been reviewed) - how is one to decide whether or not to take a chance on something.

I'm sure people like Salk, Selah and other designer/builders faced this same problem in the beginning

So - the question remains - how does one decide whether or not a speaker company is worth taking a chance on?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:08 pm »
I'd be reluctant to buy anything that I hadn't heard in a setting conducive to evaluation. I have made purchases based on recommendation, but usually when the vendor offers a trial period.  If Marshall Choong wants to create a market for their products, they probably need to get to the various audio shows and create a buzz.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2011, 09:25 pm »
Since it is a UK operation, how about posting on some of the UK audio discussion boards and forums, for example, Pink Fish Media.

You might have better luck with real feedback from those that might have taken a chance.

There is a ton of gear overseas that never generates even a mention stateside. And some gear from major players overseas that doesn't get distributed in the US, and as a result, minimal exposure and feedback in the US.

The lack of press, feedback, owner reviews, etc. does not necessarily mean that a given product is not good.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2011, 11:38 pm »
Good point, I saw some web statistics about AC and the overwhelming majority of posters and viewers were USA/North America, with Australia bringing the next batch in, then a very small percentage for England and Germany. 

Now we don't want to scare new members away, nor would we be saying the MC speakers are in any way a bad product, they may be a gem in hiding (I like the look of the designs).  But it would be difficult for a small English manufacturer to develop a US or Australian dealer network, or even a show presence, in today's business climate.  Therefore it may be hard for AC members to comment.  Many British and Euro brands have a strong presence in the US, but these are usually either long established brand names, or ultra high dollar products that have the margins to cover these costs.   

David is also correct that the standard internet sales practice is a 30 day money back trial period, I didn't notice if MC had that policy, I would assume so.  How brave are you cvictorg, care to be the first and report back?  Oh, and a belated welcome aboard.       

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2011, 12:10 am »

So - the question remains - how does one decide whether or not a speaker company is worth taking a chance on?

I'd recommend taking a "know thyself" approach and asking yourself some questions along these lines:

Are you or have you been comfortable taking a risk with other audio products or other products (in general)?

Are you someone who is open to 'experiencing' vs. someone who likes being more certain about the 'experience' or venture?

ETC., etc.

If your personality and preferences fit a more 'risk open' &  'enjoy new experiences' profile, and you take possible 'downsides' in stride, then it will be easier to "go for it."

I personally believe the only way to truly evaluate gear is in your room, within your system, and with your ears. So, though I do value professional reviews and owner experience, I have purchased almost all of my gear without audition or demo, or show exposure.

Over the past two years, I have evaluated 11 different pairs of enclosures. All good in their own ways. All with some weaknesses. All enjoyable. And the learning along the way has been well worth it.

- David.

cvictorg

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:22 am »
Good point, I saw some web statistics about AC and the overwhelming majority of posters and viewers were USA/North America, with Australia bringing the next batch in, then a very small percentage for England and Germany. 

Now we don't want to scare new members away, nor would we be saying the MC speakers are in any way a bad product, they may be a gem in hiding (I like the look of the designs).  But it would be difficult for a small English manufacturer to develop a US or Australian dealer network, or even a show presence, in today's business climate.  Therefore it may be hard for AC members to comment.  Many British and Euro brands have a strong presence in the US, but these are usually either long established brand names, or ultra high dollar products that have the margins to cover these costs.   

David is also correct that the standard internet sales practice is a 30 day money back trial period, I didn't notice if MC had that policy, I would assume so.  How brave are you cvictorg, care to be the first and report back?  Oh, and a belated welcome aboard.     

Can the Aussies here give an opinion of Osborn speakers

http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/indexa.html

Or

Redgum speakers and electronics

http://www.redgumaudio.com/store/Loudspeakers.html
http://www.redgumaudio.com/store/Amplifiers.html