Has anyone heard these speakers at the shows yet?  :scratch:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZHsENBRMk

Here's their Face Book page...  :o
https://www.facebook.com/Ryan.Speakers.LLC

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: All New...RYAN R630 Speakers???...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2015, 09:39 pm »
I haven't heard them yet, but Echo HiFi in Portland, OR carries the R-610, R-620, and R-630. I've got to go listen soon.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2015, 11:58 pm »
I vaguely recall stepping into their room at Axpona, but with 100's of rooms it's hard to impress unless you have something really special and one day (which happened to be the most crowded day) was not nearly enough to do more than stand in the corner and gain an impression.  I like how they sounded on the Newport you tube video sounded through my speakers.   :roll:

From reviewing their site, I'd lean towards the stand-mounts the most.  The specifications for the three only range from F3 38 - 44 Hz and efficiencies from 86 - 88 dB/w/m (which I've seen before and still don't fully understand), so why spend more on a more complicated design (I'm a purist)?  Overall the stand-mounts seem to be a thoughtful, quality, and (for audiophiles) practical offering.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2015, 04:23 pm »
Steve Lefkowicz of Positive-Feedback thought that the Ryan R620 speakers with Aurelic electronics were one of the very best systems he heard at the 2014 Newport Show... "Regardless of PRICE!.."

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue73/newport20141.htm

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2015, 04:43 pm »
I was at RMAF last year, and they had almost the same setup to the Newport show (just based on the description - I didn't attend Newport).  All Auralic stack of electronics, but the Ryan speakers were I think the next size up from what was at Newport.  They retailed for $5K if I remember correctly, and I think had one more midbass driver.  I would concur completely with Lefkowicz's assessment of the sound.  Easily one of my top-5, and maybe top-3 of RMAF.  Regardless of price.  I was speaker shopping at RMAF in the <$10K range, and if I wasn't wedded to lower power amplification, I would have bought those Ryan speakers.  The best imaging of the show of the rooms that I was able to play my own test tracks in - and a wonderfully balanced and resolved sound, but very natural and non-analytical sound - which is a really difficult thing to balance, as we all know.  The bass was impressive, full, and resolved - with no desire for extra support down low.  But the mids were very engaging, especially for an all-solid state electronics stack.  And the highs were resolved, but sweet. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2015, 06:24 pm »
genjamon and Crossoverless,

Thanks for your commentary. I had forgotten about this thread.

I did get out to Echo HiFi in Portland about a month ago. I listened to three songs on the R-620 speakers. I do not recall which songs nor do I recall the electronics. In any event, I do recall enjoying the clarity of the low end on up to the upper midrange. Somewhere in the range above upper midrange, I detected a slight brightness that I did not care for.

I did not write anything down, so I can't tell you what it was that I heard/when I heard it. I do know that when I hear that coming from a speaker, I mentally write that speaker off my list of gotta hear speakers. Of course, I know enough to keep an open mind because the only way to really know if they sound great is to audition them in my room with my equipment.

My two bits.

Michael

garyalex

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2015, 09:45 pm »
I own a pair of the 620s.  I purchased them after hearing spending some time in the Ryan room at RMAF last year.  I don't hear that brightness you describe at all.  I do hear a very listenable, well-balanced speaker.  In my opinion these are great speakers.  They stood out for me at RMAF as something special, speakers that invite long listening sessions, with no special regard for music genre.  What was surprising for me is how well they image.  For me, this isn't the most important quality of a loudspeaker but it does have value when it's done well, as is the case with the 620s.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2015, 10:48 pm »
The Ryan brothers know what they are doing. They make wonderful speakers and I am confident that the brightness that Michael heard was an aberration. They made speakers under the Ryan Acoustics name many moons ago and I had a pair of their entry level speakers. Garyalex has hit the nail when he says they image well. I know that is an aspect of the Ryan Brothers that will always be near the top of performance design characteristics. Mine were very listenable and absolutely disappeared in the room. In fact I could get as close as two or three feet from the speaker and still not detect that the sound was coming from the speaker.

There is lots of competition out there but I would encourage you to spend time with this speaker if you have the opportunity.

garyalex

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2015, 02:24 am »
Absolutely agreed.  The Ryan guys have really come up with something special in this series.  A few weeks ago I emailed Todd Ryan to ask if they'd be at RMAF this year, as I wanted to thank them personally.  He said not only would they be there but that they might have something new to exhibit.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2015, 04:25 pm »
I see that Ryan makes all their own speaker drivers, I wonder if they are using AlNiCo Magnets to get SUCH GOOD SOUND from their speakers? I also wonder if they have all their parts and speaker cabinets cryogenic treated to get better sound?  :scratch: