RS5 Driver is ready

Louis O

RS5 Driver is ready
« on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:40 pm »
Hi All,

The all new RS5 driver is ready. This is the driver that will replace the MQ5 Hempcone.

I will have 2 versions of the driver. One is the OEM that will be used in the all new Super 3 series and the other is the DIY version.

Lots of new stuff coming and I will be posting previews of the new Super 3 series.

Thanks again,
Louis

richidoo

Re: RS5 Driver is ready
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:01 pm »
Looks beautiful Louis! Congratulations.  I like the all black look of the cone, no wizzer cone, inverted surround, the high sensitivity, and not made in china.  :thumb:

What's the usable frequency range?

I hope to hear it sometime.

Will you be updating the speaker designs to complement the new drivers?
Thanks
Rich

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:24 am »
Nice, I will post my impressions after I get the new drivers in my XRS cabinets. I'll take some pics of the changeover too... Thanks Louis!

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2012, 07:03 pm »
Hi richidoo,

Many thanks and I do too. They look a lot better than before. These are a true single cone full range driver. I hope you have a chance to hear it as well.

I have the specs posted on the super 3 page.

I will have the DIY version up soon with the specs as well.

The Super 3 series is up now and available.

Hi DaveC113,

Many thanks and sounds great. Great idea too and please post pics and your comments. They will transform the XRS's.

Thanks,
Louis

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:14 am »
Louis, I hope you are OK from the storm?

Is the DIY version RS5 available yet? Specs? Price? How do they differ from your speaker version?

Will the 6" eventually be available for DIY also?
Thanks
Rich

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:59 am »

Hi Louis and all Audio Circle members.

Your drivers are made in USA !
That's great, more manufacturers should do like you.

In a near future, will you offer extended range drivers similar to the Dayton PS220-8?

Guy 13

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm »
Hi Guy 13,

Many thanks and all my drivers are made here in the USA.

Working on that right now. It will be a lot better as well.

I'm actually working on at least 8 new  drivers for DIY.

Thanks,
Louis

ejfud

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:56 am »
Dang Louis, stop teasing us with all this talk of DIY drivers. The waiting is killing me.

Maybe we need to do a group build up in the single driver forum. :thumb:

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm »
Hi ejfud,

I know and you're right. I will have more details soon, but I have these prototypes done with the engineering:

The 4.5" which is like the RS5 with differences in the VC, dustcap and cone.
The 6.5" Ferrite full range with cast basket
The 6.5" mid-bass version of this driver

Working on these now. DIY version of the 6.5" alnico mid-bass and full range, an all new ferrite 8" full range and mid-bass version.

2 Subwoofers and some really nice pro 12's. One of them will be set up for OB

Thanks,
Louis

therookie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:23 am »
Hi everybody!
This is my first post here, although I have been reading many of the exciting threads that can be found here for some time. I have a pair of the original superhemps and I have really enjoyed them for some years now, although my set up is far from being ideal due to room restrictions (hence no deep hemp option for me). I am thinking of replacing my ferrite drivers with the alnicos or an improved ferrite version maybe, mostly to get a little more bass extension for orchestral music, or overall improvement. I was wondering if this is possible or even worth it now, as the 8 inch speakers have been discontinued.  If it is possible, what is the pricing?
For amplification I use 300b monoblocks (TSAKIRIDIS DEVICES, Achilles) or the integrated RWA 30.2.

Thank you in advance.

Kostas

P.S I live in Athens (Greece) and there is no (more) reseller here for OMEGA products as far as I know...
P.S I found a pair of max hemps at a very good price, almost new. Their gorgeous alpine gold finish makes me drool!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:46 pm »
Hello Kostas,
The Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 or Type 1.5 is a no brainer for your 300B mono blocks.  The Type 1 sounds incredible with the 2w/ch Decware SE84 Select,
so your 8w/ch 300B's should be a dream with either the Type 1 or 1.5.  One of the target audiences for the Hoyt-Bedford line of speakers is people with flea powered amps.  The Hoyts are so efficient they bring out the incredible dynamics a well designed flea powered single ended triode amp is capable of.
Also, Hoyt-Bedford (part of Omega) will ship to Greece.

therookie

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2012, 12:08 am »
Thank you for your reply, Canada Rob! Do you know what in way the the drivers you are suggesting differ (Type 1 and Type 1.5) and if they are better than the alnico version, apart from being more efficient? I tend to use my RWA 30.2 a little more lately because I think that my speakers benefit from the extra power. What type is better for complex music and which one has a better low end? ( (sorry about my grammar) .

Thanks,
Kostas

therookie

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2012, 12:19 am »
Sorry, Canada Rob! I have just found out that you were talking about loudspeakers (correct me if I am wrong). My question was about replacing the drivers of my Superhemps.

Thanks,

Kostas

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:06 am »
Hi  Kostas,
Yes, I was talking about complete speakers.  I don't know if Omega is coming out with an 8" DIY driver, and the 8" hemp cone driver he was putting in his speakers is discontinued.  The reason I mentioned the Hoyt-Bedford speakers is that they are 97db efficient and would be a wonderful mate for your 300B SET.  Your 300B should sound far better than your RWA on an efficient speaker like the Hoyt-Bedfords.  The Type 1 and 1.5 use the same driver.
I have heard the Decware SET on several Omega speakers and the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 and have yet to hear a solid state amp sound as good.  Done right, the SET/single driver combo is about as good as I have heard in my many years in audio.

CR

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2012, 02:33 am »
Sorry, Canada Rob! I have just found out that you were talking about loudspeakers (correct me if I am wrong). My question was about replacing the drivers of my Superhemps.

Thanks,

Kostas

There's a good chance the HB drivers will fit into your Superhemps, they are probably an updated version of the same driver. You could always call Louis at Omega and ask if he has more 8" Alnico drivers as well.

I think the Alnicos (if available) would be a better match with the RWA amp, but are probably much more expensive.

therookie

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2012, 11:27 am »
Thank you both for your replies!

I would love to get the loudspeakers you are referring to, Canada Rob, but I think the shipping costs (for loudspeakers) to Greece would be too high for me. I ll'  have to wait for the Omega-HB website to be updated and will probably contact Louis, but I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks again,

Kostas

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2012, 08:28 pm »
There's a good chance the HB drivers will fit into your Superhemps, they are probably an updated version of the same driver. You could always call Louis at Omega and ask if he has more 8" Alnico drivers as well.

I think the Alnicos (if available) would be a better match with the RWA amp, but are probably much more expensive.
Kostas,
The Hoyt driver is a completely different unit than the driver in your Superhemps.  For one, it is 4db more efficient than the Superhemp driver and really able to show off a flea powered SET - better than a 92db speaker will.
You can't just throw a different driver into an existing cabinet without taking into account port and cabinet tuning.  The cabinets the Hoyt drivers are in are totally different than your Superhemp cabinets.

Maybe my fixation with your 300B amp is throwing me off, because if it is a well designed amp, with the right speakers (like the Hoyts) I believe it would be in a completely different league than your RWA.  If you favour your RWA, any Omega or Hoyt speaker will work in which case Davec113's suggestion of the Alnico 8" driver is a good one and worth looking into as I believe the basket is the same.

As far as shipping complete speakers to Greece goes, it probably cost little more than shipping to some destinations in North America.

therookie

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2012, 12:21 am »
That' s juicy information, thank you! I like both my amps for different reasons. The 300B monos have attributes I can't live without and I don't think I will ever give them up. However, the RWA gives me that extra grip I sometimes need and it has an overall good performance. Besides, I am a little eco friendly (- naive!) and I appreciate the battery powered amp's low power consumption. My audio system is active many hours a day (and night) in different volume levels.

Thanks again,

Kostas

therookie

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2012, 01:15 am »
I understand your fixation with the 300b amp, Canada Rob! I sometimes regard it as an indispensable artifact. It's like a fortune teller's crystal ball. Considering my audio experiences with this amp and the Superhemps, I think the Superhemps (rated at 96db) do justice to this amp and vice versa!   

therookie

« Reply #19 on: 23 Nov 2012, 08:55 pm »
In this case, my only option is replacing my current drivers with the alnicos, as the latter are also suitable for the superhemp cabinets. I can still use my 8W 300b amp with this driver (93db sensitivity) for most occasions (chamber music, Jazz, soundtracks), I guess. I wish I knew about their availability or any other options. As I mentioned before my primal goal is getting closer to the feeling of a concert hall, for a little more extended low end and better layering for large scale orchestral music . I feel somehow puzzled. I am also worried about the process of replacing the drivers (without relatively accurate instructions) in the cabinets, because I want to avoid any clumsy drilling. Besides, I didn't mention that one of the the whizzers is a little damaged. Isn't this servicable (by replacing the drivers I mean)? I ll' try not to contact Louis, unless I get a little more info.