My Orpheus Speakers

advanced101

Re: My Orpheus Speakers
« Reply #40 on: 23 Dec 2020, 06:57 pm »
Thats a good question. I will experiment with them but I have a feeling they may go up for sale. We will see.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 24 Dec 2020, 01:08 am »
Congratulations on the move to the Zeus!  :thumb:

I'll look forward to your new thread.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #42 on: 19 Feb 2021, 03:24 am »
Advanced

Congrats on your Zeus speakers

Judging from my Apollo 11’s and Lou having fun playing a primal Clarence Clemons track at the shop on the Zeus - I would think you would have plenty of low end.

Just Curious - what is the size of your room? Are your speakers on the long wall or short wall?

advanced101

« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2021, 02:25 pm »
Room is 36'ish long, 14' wide, 9' high.  Speakers on the short wall firing down the room.

Bass wise, very good room, especially for a non-dedicated build.  I don't have any prominent bass modes except for a vertical mode, slight null at 50 Hz in the seated position. 

I have spent a lot of time experimenting with different treatments at the side walls and have begun building my own with what I have learned at each position. 

I am still working on the builds but here is where it is at right now.  By the time the speakers arrive I should be closer to completion.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2021, 04:10 pm »
Can you describe what you’ve done on the ceiling?

My listening room’s dimensions are nearly the same as yours - 29’L x 14’W x 9’H. My speakers are pulled ~5’ from the front wall. There’s precious little acoustic treatment in my room thanks to WAF issues. 

advanced101

« Reply #45 on: 19 Feb 2021, 06:53 pm »
The ceiling has a 2" Vicoustic absorber above the speaker and two GIK Gridfusors per speaker.

I am procrastinating ceiling trials.  One, because it will be a pain in the butt.  Two, because until I can mount a panel properly up there, anything I put above my head must be able to fall off the ceiling and not kill me.

I know from my trials on the sidewalls that a pure 2" absorber and the EPS (polystyrene) Gridfusors are not optimal, for me.  I have found that at first reflection points I prefer a mix of absorption and scattering/ reflection.  On top of that, I prefer maple and walnut as materials to build the panels.  My favorite panels are the Stillpoints Apertures.  I have used that design as inspiration for my panels, but I changes some things around.  Among the changes, each position has an increase or decrease in absorption/ reflection.  I also use maple to build them.

So someday, I plan to build the right solution for the ceiling.  If you aren't willing to build your own, the GIK alpha traps are pretty good for the money.