Welcome to GAS

sturgus

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #240 on: 3 May 2013, 03:11 am »
Welcome aboard Bob. Glad to see you made it here. We have a great group of guys and you should fit right in.
The fact that you like vinyl will get you some brownie points around here. Word of warning watch out for a guy named Blackmoore and a fellow named Scott. :nono: They can cause you some serious financial problems. Also be quite aware of a guy that goes buy the name  Catastrophe. All I will say is you will see. :green:
Sturgus

Blackmore

« Reply #241 on: 3 May 2013, 03:06 pm »
Sturgus; how can you say that?  I'm mainly harmless...........really............al most completely...........psst!........wanna' buy a tube amp?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MRL_Audio

« Reply #242 on: 3 May 2013, 03:19 pm »
New member here.  Thanks to Dave for the heads up on the circle.  Was not aware it existed.  Spend most of my time on AK where Dave has been very helpful on the local STL audio scene.  A bit about me and my gear.  Going back a few years so bear with me.  Got really interested in music and audio gear back in high school.  Has an uncle that was loaded with hi end gear.  McIntosh and the like.  That really lit my passion for the equipment.  Couldn't afford that but got what I could.  I recall some of that early gear.  Yamaha amp, pre, small Infinity speakers.  Can't recall any of the models.  Getting ready to go off to college at Michigan State and upgraded to the Onkyo 4500 MKII, Technics SL-1600 table, Cerwin Vega speakers, Akai tape deck and about 1,500 LP's.  You know, a party set up.  Still have most of this in my collection of gear.  Although I thinned the LP herd pretty hard to buy essentials like beer and food.  They have served me well but sat idle on the sidelines post graduation.  Life happened.  Got married.  Moved to St. Louis.  Had kids, etc.  About 5 years ago my kids got me an MP3 player as  gift.  Downloaded some tunes and thought... hey wait I have all those LP's boxed up in the basement.  I should work on converting those to MP3.  Started that project and realized how much I missed the analog sound.  Things spiraled out of control from there.  A list of my gear is listed below.  Looking forward to spending some of my time here and hopefully meeting some of you in the near future.

-Mike

Amp-Pre-Tuner
Citation I, II and III-X
Citation 11, 12 and 14
Dynaco ST70, PAS2 and FM1-X
Onkyo 4500 MK-II

Reel to Reels
(2) Akai GXC-635D's
(2) Akai GX-77's

Cassette Decks
(2) Akai GXC-570's
(1) Akai GXC-750
(1) Akai GXC0760
(1) Nakamichi RX-505
(1) Pioneer CT-M6R

Turntables
Empire 598 II
Elac 50H
Elac 750H
Fairchild 412 / SME 3009 II
HK T-45C
Pioneer PL-88

Marantz SLT-12U
Technics SL-M3
(3) Mitsubishi LT-30
(3) HK ST-7
(2) Yamaha PX-3
Revox B790
Revox B795

Vertical Turntables
Mitsubishi LT-5V
Technics SL-V5

Speakers
Klipsch Chorus I
Infinity RS-IIIa
Altec Lansing Model 14
Hegeman 1a
Dynaco A25
Ohm Walsh 2
Cerwin Vega 3a

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #243 on: 3 May 2013, 03:36 pm »
Oh, no!  Not another Bob! :duh:

Bob

daves

« Reply #244 on: 3 May 2013, 06:28 pm »
Welcome, Mike and Bob. BTW, guess what the two most common names on GAS are? Mike and Bob! :thumb: :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #245 on: 3 May 2013, 07:35 pm »
At least it's not "Neal and Bob".  :duh:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #246 on: 3 May 2013, 09:27 pm »
At least it's not "Neal and Bob".  :duh:

:lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #247 on: 3 May 2013, 10:27 pm »
Word of warning watch out for a guy named Blackmoore and a fellow named Scott. :nono: They can cause you some serious financial problems. Also be quite aware of a guy that goes buy the name  Catastrophe. All I will say is you will see. :green:
Sturgus

Naa...I'm no bother. I've completely converted to all solid state, digital sources and speakers with 7 1/2" woofers and soft dome tweeters. Toobs are gone, vinyl is gone, high sensitivity speakers....pffft! I can't be bothered. I only listen to little girl with guitar music anymore...(does wendy o. williams count as a little girl w/guitar?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jnm4rJeuJI

Welcome New Guys :thumb:

Batsong

« Reply #248 on: 3 May 2013, 10:49 pm »
Scott.  You ought to warn people before posting that link...that it's going to be awesome.

sturgus

« Reply #249 on: 4 May 2013, 01:18 am »
Welcome Mike, glad to have you aboard. I see you have all sorts of goodies. Would love to hear some of those tape machines.
Sturgus

Scott F.

« Reply #250 on: 4 May 2013, 03:53 am »
Scott.  You ought to warn people before posting that link...that it's going to be awesome.

Gotta love the darts :lol: Besides, I thought the name Wendy O. Williams would have been warning enough  :rotflmao: Then again, for some of the young whipper snappers 'round here I suppose punk from the late 70's were a little before their time.

....LAURA...where's my walker!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #251 on: 4 May 2013, 01:35 pm »
Welcome aboard Bob. Glad to see you made it here. We have a great group of guys and you should fit right in.
The fact that you like vinyl will get you some brownie points around here. Word of warning watch out for a guy named Blackmoore and a fellow named Scott. :nono: They can cause you some serious financial problems. Also be quite aware of a guy that goes buy the name  Catastrophe. All I will say is you will see. :green:
Sturgus

Hey now, if you're going to throw me under a bus at least spell my moniker correctly!   :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #252 on: 4 May 2013, 02:53 pm »
We're all Bozos on the GAS bus! :thumb:

Bob in St. Charles

« Reply #253 on: 4 May 2013, 03:12 pm »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Scott, that video is crazy.    :lol:

Bob (iSC)

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 4 May 2013, 03:29 pm »
We're all Bozos on the GAS bus! :thumb:
There's booze on the bus. What?

MRL_Audio

« Reply #255 on: 5 May 2013, 12:05 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.  Looking forward to being part of the "circle" and meeting some of you in person at any of the upcoming events.

reako

« Reply #256 on: 27 Aug 2013, 05:13 am »
Hello, My name is Rick and I am interested in joining the group.  I am a friend of Sturgus and have been to a couple listening sessions, had a great experience and look forward to attending more in the future.  I will drop you a PM with my info and hope to meet you all in person sometime soon.  Growing up in STL my family was in radio and we also had some nice pro sound gear which served as the foundation for my interest in audio.  I have a very modest system and a tight budget, but I really enjoy hearing the quality systems of the group members.  I have a rather eclectic mix of gear and in listening to other group member systems I hope to refine my interests and expectations in what the next stage of my system should be. Look forward to meeting you all sometime soon.

Home Theater
Onkyo TX-SR603X(B)
Klipsch RF-35
Klipsch RC-35
Klipsch SS.5's
A/D/S HT10PS

Car Audio
Hertz Energy ESK 6.5" component
JL Audio 12W0v2-4 sub
Zapco i-Force i-2100 amp (x2)

Pro Audio
18" JBL 2241H
Crown CE-2000

Headphones
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's, in custom molds
Monster Turbine's
Klipsch Image S4's

PC Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX

So I am thinking the next step would be a dedicated 2.1 setup for intimate listening sessions.  The Klipsch are a bit bright and can be fatiguing so I'm looking for a warmer sound and a nice tube amp, and possibly getting into vinyl. Talk soon all, take care.

Rick

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #257 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:53 pm »
Welcome to GAS Rick!  :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #258 on: 27 Aug 2013, 07:07 pm »
Welcome Rick  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #259 on: 27 Aug 2013, 07:12 pm »
Hi Rick!  Watch these guys - they'll have you spending all kinds of money....  :icon_twisted:

Bryan