SSR MTM

obiwan11

SSR MTM
« on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:04 am »
Hi Rick and others,

With the SSR pictured on the website, with the size of that cabinet how would an MTM version go? Or are you of the opinion (except for your line arrays) that you are better off with one driver covering each range to help avoid lobing/comb filtering issues.

Just curious,

Trevor

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: SSR MTM
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2007, 03:08 am »
Hi Rick and others,

With the SSR pictured on the website, with the size of that cabinet how would an MTM version go? Or are you of the opinion (except for your line arrays) that you are better off with one driver covering each range to help avoid lobing/comb filtering issues.

Just curious,

Trevor

That particular cabinet doesn't have enough internal volume to support a second woofer. With a 7" MTM the crossover point would shift lower making a 1" dome a better alternative for the tweeter.

obiwan11

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2007, 03:31 am »
Thanks Rick. 

klh

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:18 pm »
Rick

Interesting... is that why you don't do many MTMs (and that you've used the larger ribbon when you have done them)?

obiwan11

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2007, 09:51 pm »
Rick, when you say the internal volume is not sufficient for 2 woofers, does that still apply if the intent is to cross them to subs at say 80 or 100Hz. The main reason to use 2 woofers being to reduce distortion and have more headroom.

drmike

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2007, 12:25 am »
obiwan,
the ssr is about distortion free as you can get. i have my sub coming in at 85 hertz, these speakers are amazing!
drmike

DSK

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2007, 01:33 am »
obiwan,
the ssr is about distortion free as you can get. i have my sub coming in at 85 hertz, these speakers are amazing!
drmike
I agree totally. My sealed SSR's cross over to my sealed directservo sub at approx 63hz and the SSR's don't seem to struggle in my large-ish room, even when the volume is cranked up. I've had the ACI 65hz and 85 hz HP filters in my drawer since last year but haven't felt compelled to dig them out and try them yet. When I have some time I will try them, using ETF5 measurement software to fine tune the subwoofer settings for optimal crossover, but I'll be surprised if they make much difference.

The subwoofer has a 24db/octave LP filter whiilst the sealed SSR's have an acoustic 12db/octave rolloff. The ACI HP filters are 6db/octave and wlil provide an 18db/octave rolloff on the SSR's. IF listening suggests that these little HP filters DO make a difference, I will investigate high quality 12db/octave HP filters that will provide a 24db/octave rolloff on the SSR's and theoretically a better match to the 24db/octave LP filter on the subwoofer.

My only hesitance is that I hear no signs of struggle from the SSR's running full range and am therefore not overly motivated to put additional circuitry in the signal path to them. Still, nothing like trying it for yourself, so I will get around to it one day.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 02:01 am by DSK »

Kris

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2007, 01:34 am »
I cross them at 120hz with two 84 db passive tower subs, and the result is spectacular. Of course positioning is key. The SSR is a real monitor. What more do you want?

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 03:22 am by Kris »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2007, 01:40 am »
Rick

Interesting... is that why you don't do many MTMs (and that you've used the larger ribbon when you have done them)?

Actually I just finished a custom 3-way design with a MTM in the upper section using the smaller ribbon  :D

If I ever get the time to build it I have a few ideas in mind  :wink:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2007, 01:46 am »
Rick, when you say the internal volume is not sufficient for 2 woofers, does that still apply if the intent is to cross them to subs at say 80 or 100Hz. The main reason to use 2 woofers being to reduce distortion and have more headroom.

It's a matter of tuning the cabinet correctly so that there's no peaking in the 50-150hz range.