Vandersteen 2CE

macattack963

Vandersteen 2CE
« on: 21 Jan 2019, 03:37 pm »
Hello, can these speakers be powered by a regular 100w/ch a/v integrated amp set up in stereo mode. Could you point me to Area with good advice on setup. Also, has anyone done any DIY improvements on these speakers. Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Vandersteen 2CE
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:03 pm »
Welcome Macattack :thumb:
With this low efficiency:
Sensitivity: 86dB/W/m. Impedance: 7 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum
You will have no shaking windows.
Vandersteen 2Ce Signature loudspeaker Specifications
Description: Three-way, floorstanding loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" dual-chamber ScanSpeak metal-alloy-dome tweeter with ferrofluid cooling, 4½" ScanSpeak polycone midrange unit with diecast basket and ferrofluid cooling, 8" Vifa polycone woofer with diecast basket and 1½" two-layer voice-coil, 10" critically damped long-fiber-cone Active Acoustic Coupler. Frequency response: 29Hz-29kHz, ±3dB, 32Hz-21kHz, ±1.5dB. Crossover frequencies: 600Hz and 5kHz, first-order, 6dB/octave. Sensitivity: 86dB/W/m. Impedance: 7 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum. Recommended amplification: 40-160Wpc into 8 ohms.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:08 pm »
Hello, can these speakers be powered by a regular 100w/ch a/v integrated amp set up in stereo mode. Could you point me to Area with good advice on setup. Also, has anyone done any DIY improvements on these speakers. Thanks

Yes to the amp question. Set up/positioning information is available on Vandersteen website, it's easy to follow. Sound anchors or the equivalent under the speakers are a must to obtain the best performance.

Great speakers, welcome and enjoy.

NB

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:12 pm »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:24 pm »
As stated, best source to start is the manual on the Vandersteen web page.

No diy, and you will bi-wire them ending in banana plugs. And if you didn't get the Sound Anchor stands then find a pair, or something similar.

Most fans use Audioquest bi-wires, but they're pricey, I'm still using my Supra Rondo bi wires while I look for a deal on Audioquest.

I just went from 2Ci to 3A Signatures, welcome to the family.

Gene

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:38 pm »
Welcome!

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2019, 06:22 pm »
I have the 2CE Sig II. It has bi-wire posts and I use analysis plus cables. I think the speakers are not that fussy about how much power you give them. But yes, lower power (current) amps or receivers could get overworked, taxed and even go into protection mode. I think these speakers will surprise you with great sound if you do 3 things.
1 Run the best source you can.
2 Use as much high quality power (current) you can. Think Parasound, Pass Labs, or even a quality higher watt tube amp.
3 Placement according to Richards manual and/or advice. The speakers need to be put out and away from walls.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2019, 06:35 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC macattack     :thumb: 

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2019, 10:07 pm »
Welcome Big macattack963 details details details are needed about your stereo system to answer your DIY question.

example: a DIY mod for you to try on your 2ce is ; If you find your 2ce too bass heavy then use a solid core flat wire cable to reduce the bass and emphasize the midrange and treble for example

macattack963

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2019, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for inputs. My setup is marantz sr6008, jlaudio e112 sub. I got everything setup per the inputs(bi-amping, placement, stands etc). I thought the base & mid sounded good, but the high was a bit harsh. Any suggestions on this ( lack of power, old tweeter) ? Thanks

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2019, 04:38 pm »
You can dial down the treble output using the dial on the rear, near the speaker wire inputs.

NB

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2019, 09:42 pm »
macattack963 what speaker cables are you using maybe. if you are biwiring "Thinner wire has better skin effect properties for higher frequencies"

macattack963

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2019, 06:59 am »
Hi I tried dialing down the treble on rear of speaker, but didn’t like the result. I’m using std 14awg wire, nothing special. Would appreciate a recommendation. I wanted to ask, whether high frequency tweeters  degrade over time,  or if placement or other setup techniques can make the tweeters sound less harsh. Thank you.

geowak

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2019, 12:31 pm »
1 What is the history of the speakers? If old, they may have been worked on or need new tweeters. I have never heard someone who thought the higher end seemed harsh.
2 What is your source? Do you have a quality source with quality higher frequency signal?
3 Consider that this speaker is better suited to a dedicated quality amp, like a stereo power amp, mono amp or integrated amp. If you are bi-wiring and bi-amping from your Marantz, the speakers might be trying to draw too much power from the amp section of your receiver. I know someone who tried to use two sets of speaker terminals from their AV receiver to the speakers to bi-wire them, which did not work and drove the AV receiver into protection mode. You could try to NOT biwire, just one pair of wires to speaker and compare results.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2019, 03:06 pm »
macattack963 wrote "using std 14awg wire"..are you using a Jumper to connect your single cable run macattack963?

geowak

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2019, 04:27 pm »
Two more things... I agree with the previous post (mgsboedmisodoc2) you must have a jumper plate or wire on the posts if running one set of speaker cable. Also I know some AV receivers have funky speaker settings, especially to accommodate 5.1, 7.1 or subwoofer configurations. Just make sure whatever speaker setting you use that the Vandersteen speakers get a full range signal. If not, you may be really inhibiting their full sonic potential. Food for thought...

macattack963

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2019, 08:40 am »
Thanks geowak and mgsboed...for your inputs. I am using  these with 2 sets of cables to each speaker.  I will try suggestion of 1 cable per speaker and a jumper plate.   

Geowak, you asked about the history of speakers, I bought them a few months ago from a guy on Craigslist m, I believe they were cared for and are in very good condition. I’ve wanted to get into higher end audio, and this was an inexpensive way to test the waters and learn/experiment a bit.

A few questions..
What’s a not too expensive cable?
I’m open to buying a new amplifier, any suggestions for this specific speaker
I see mention of people sending this speaker back to vandersteen for upgrades, is this something worth considering, or just migrate to something newer?

Anyway, thanks for feedback.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2019, 12:44 pm »
Macattack, if possible could you provide a picture of the back plate showing the model number and serial number so that the model of speaker can be clearly defined e.g.
a) 2ce,
b) 2ce signature,
c) 2ce Signature 2,
d) 2ce Signature 2 with model 5 midrange and pleated/dimpled midrange cone.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2019, 03:47 pm »
Provide room dimensions as well.

macattack963

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2019, 11:10 pm »