"American Epic", Blu-ray discs

RPM123

"American Epic", Blu-ray discs
« on: 20 Jan 2019, 05:40 pm »
I recently discovered this release that was originally broadcast on PBS. It's a fascinating and in-depth look at how music was recorded in the 1920's and the various genres and associated artists that were discovered and made known to the public during this time period. Music from Appalachia, the Mississippi Delta, Louisiana, Hawaiian and even native American music are explored. It's a two disc set, with disc 1 examining the history of American music, and disc 2 has current artists playing early and original music and recorded on a vintage 1920's recording machine. The recording machine was painstakingly restored over a 10 year period (by one engineer!) from spare parts and is the only one of its kind left in the world. The detailing of how the machine was restored and how it operates (amazing) should satisfy your inner techno geek. And talk about vintage tubes! The only thing that was unfortunately left out were the inner workings of the early microphone box. I would have loved to see what tubes were inside.

One of the more fascinating aspects was how the advent of radio cut into record sales and compelled record companies to go throughout the country looking for new talent to record. And the "rest is history", as they say.

The series was produced by T Bone Burnett and Jack White, and narrated by Robert Redford. Most highly recommended and a real treasure!  :thumb:

I purchased mine through Amazon.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: "American Epic", Blu-ray discs
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2019, 08:18 pm »
Great, just my cup of tea.
I’ll get this. Thanks!
Lester

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2019, 08:27 pm »
There’s also a 279 pg companion book to flesh-out topics not fully covered on the dvd. I’ll get that as well.
Cheers,
Lester

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2019, 09:10 pm »
You are welcome and thanks for the tip about the companion book! I will get that as well.