DIY Open Baffle project underway.

RoadTripper

DIY Open Baffle project underway.
« on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm »
I'm putting together an OB speaker pair using my Visaton B200s that have been sitting unused. It's all pretty straightforward but there is one thing puzzling me. What is the standard way of setting up the wiring between the little metal tabs on the back of the Visatons and something that speaker cable spades can connect to?

And since there is no back to the OBs, whatever this part is, it will just be hanging in space, not attached to anything. Amirite?

Bumpy

Re: DIY Open Baffle project underway.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:00 pm »
Hi

Can you post a picture of the rear of the driver?

RolandButcher

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:13 pm »
In order to use those speaker cables, you will need to get a pair of binding posts that accommodate your spades and then wire the binding posts to the tabs on the Visatons.

I'm putting together an OB speaker pair using my Visaton B200s that have been sitting unused. It's all pretty straightforward but there is one thing puzzling me. What is the standard way of setting up the wiring between the little metal tabs on the back of the Visatons and something that speaker cable spades can connect to?

And since there is no back to the OBs, whatever this part is, it will just be hanging in space, not attached to anything. Amirite?

RoadTripper

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:15 pm »
No picture. Can't successfully upload one.

Thanks,

and

All the binding posts I can find seem to be intended to be used on the back of box speaker. What about ones that are made for OB speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:24 pm »

The larger spade is positive, the thin is negative.
For less electrical loss and cost down dont use connectors, solder the speaker cable direct in the B200 spades as in this image below.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:44 pm »
The B200 will have no bass, it suited to above 300Hz, for bass you will need an 15'' woofer as Alpha 15A as in this image or an PAP15Neo.
Note that the woofer must be placed near the floor as in this image below for better bass results.

You can run the drivers connected direct to the amp, but in this image Richard is using just an toroidal 4.7mH inductor to cut around 270-300Hz first order.

I was lucky to get an Alpha Core 12 AWG 4.70mH air core with Jeff at Sonic Craft, but now Madisound have it:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/goertz-12-awg/goertz-cf4.7-12-awg-copper-foil-inductor/

Bumpy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2019, 01:11 pm »

All the binding posts I can find seem to be intended to be used on the back of box speaker. What about ones that are made for OB speakers.

Not sure where these were bought from, but may give you some idea how to mount the binding posts.