Joined the family, just bought 3A Signatures

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Joined the family, just bought 3A Signatures
« on: 30 Dec 2018, 04:13 pm »
I had been using a pair of 2Ci since Fall in place of my Onix Reference 3s which I have for sale after 7 years.

The 2Ci were very nice for rock and jazz, but came up a wee bit short on Symphonic work. They just got listed in the marketplace.

So bought a 6 year old pair of 3A Signatures, very, very pleased after 2 sessions. Hate to trot out the cliches but I'm definitely hearing further into the music, hearing things I never heard before in music I'm familiar with.

Mostly vinyl, lots of Jazz, with rock and Classical mixed in. A VPI SuperScoutMaster to EAR834 phono-pre with Telefunkens for tubes, a Purity One pre also with Telefunkens for tubes, and an old Classe 25 amp.

Pretty happy so far.  :thumb:

geowak

Re: Joined the family, just bought 3A Signatures
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2018, 05:40 pm »
Although I do not have the 3a Sigs, I do have the 2CE Sig II which are the latest version. My impressions that the speaker excels when you do three things.

1. Drive then with good clean power, the more the better. When you do so..the better they will sound.
2. Make sure your source is very good, they tend to reveal the quality of your source and if it’s better you will be rewarded by better sound from your Vandersteen speakers.
3. Place them out away from walls (as indicated with proper setup) and spend the time to dial in placement to the listening chair. This makes a huge improvement. I have noticed that when I lifted them up an inch and spread them apart more than recommended I really like the soundstage and separation of instruments.

Enjoy your upgrade to the max. I cannot disagree with your choice! Although if I find a windfall bag of cash, I might get the Quatro Wood CT.