ctviggen

Music Map?
« on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:55 pm »
Do you agree or disagree with this map:

http://www.music-map.com/

Tonto Yoder

Music Map?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2005, 03:48 pm »
I've done the gnoosic search before, but this is a slightly different format.
Many of the related artists made sense, but some of the choices were bizarre. I entered alt-country Gillian Welch, but George Clinton & Pere Ubu both came up as distantly related; I don't think they're even in the same universe.

ctviggen

Music Map?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:02 pm »
I did the same thing -- Radiohead was nowhere to be found around Muse, there was no one near Big Head Todd and the Monsters, and Wilco found people like Lucinda Williams near them.  I think it's interesting, but I'm not sure that the musicsians are really that related.  I wouldn't want to do this type of thing, though.

R_burke

Music Map?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:04 pm »
Opinions are like ?X!holes, we all have one.   8)

This is just one person's opinion and each of us agree/disagree based on our own.

Interesting though.

Tonto Yoder

Music Map?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:13 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
This is just one person's opinion and each of us agree/disagree based on our own.

I think the concept is that it's based on online input from visitors: if you go to the Gnoosic site (on which the map is based), you can enter three bands' names, it'll suggest related artists and you can enter "Like Them," "Don't Like" or "Don't Know Them."

mcgsxr

Music Map?
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:53 pm »
Worked very well for me, for the following

Bjork
Stone Roses
Massive Attack

I found that the listed bands were also of interest to me, somewhere on the order of 80-90% of the time.

Now, whether or not that proves that I am simply the target market for all those associated bands, or that many others who have frequented that site have taste similar to my own, or nothing - remains to be seen.

Neat site though, thanks for the link.

corwin99

Music Map?
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2005, 06:15 pm »
That link doesn't work for me :(

is it kind of like this site? this one is neat...

http://www.musicplasma.com/

R_burke

Music Map?
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2005, 07:20 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Quote from: R_burke

I think the concept is that it's based on online input from visitors: if you go to the Gnoosic site (on which the map is based), you can enter three bands' names, it'll suggest related artists and you can enter "Like Them," "Don't Like" or "Don't Know Them."

I stand corrected, it is more than one person's opinion, it's many peoples opinions .... still just opinions  

Not saying I don't like the site, it's an interesting way to pursue new listening.  

Several music selling sites make "recommendations" for other music when you select a release.  I'm guessing that there recommendation is based on what people bought at the same time, but just a guess.  Anyone know how they do it?