Do you consider acoustic treatment in physical measurments?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I have OB speakers with 2'x4'x4" absorption panels straddling the corners behind the speakers. The panels extend part way behind the speakers. The inside edge of the baffles are 38" from the front wall. The outside edge are 29" from the absorption panel.

The question is, are my speakers 38" from the wall, 29" from the wall, or something else?

Thanks,

Mike

Big Red Machine

Re: Do you consider acoustic treatment in physical measurments?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2018, 10:31 pm »
The wall is the wall and the panels will not "stop" everything. And then the wall may not as well unless there is a poured concrete wall behind them! And then it will still bounce some frequencies back.

38"

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2018, 12:23 am »
Timely question for me as I just finished tweaking the placement of my speakers. I removed the acoustic panels behind the speakers before measuring so my answer is no.

youngho

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2018, 03:44 pm »
It sounds like you must have the speakers toed-in, so you could measure from the center of the speaker to the wall (don't include the panels) and  then refer to approximate number of degrees toed in, i.e. "I pulled the speakers out 35 inches from the wall behind them and then toed them in 30 degrees, then added absorption to the corners behind them"

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2018, 07:04 pm »
It sounds like you must have the speakers toed-in, so you could measure from the center of the speaker to the wall (don't include the panels) and  then refer to approximate number of degrees toed in, i.e. "I pulled the speakers out 35 inches from the wall behind them and then toed them in 30 degrees, then added absorption to the corners behind them"

Not toed in much at all. Center of drivers are 2 feet from thr side wall. The 2ft wide acoustic panels straddle the corner (there is an air gap behind the panel). This results in the acoustic panels extending part way behind the speaker cabinets. The inside of the cabinet (side closest to the center of the room) has only wall behind it while the outside of the cabinet (side closest to the side wall) has the acoustic panel behind it.