Daphile CD rip + DSD upsample vs good transports

envydd

Daphile CD rip + DSD upsample vs good transports
« on: 21 Sep 2018, 04:03 am »
Has anyone compared the new Daphile version which has DSD upsampler with good transports from Oppo, PSA, Nuprime etc. I have an Oppo and I might get a NuPrime if I have to deal with spinning media. Also I would be running Daphile on a NUC like device without any fancy LPS etc.

Phil A

Re: Daphile CD rip + DSD upsample vs good transports
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2018, 12:05 am »
I finally had a bit of time lat night and am now able to use the Bubble UPNP app with my Hegel H190 integrated amp/DAC with my Synology NAS. I just use the Bubble UPNP app (not the server) on an old cheapie Android tablet and can see the same folders I see with my Luminous app for the Lumin U1 I have in the main system. The Hegel just does up to 192kHz and the app transcodes DSD and everything higher than 192kHz.

envydd

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2018, 01:00 am »
Thx Phil. By any chance did you compare the sound with your transport? Curious to know how they compare.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:21 pm »
Thx Phil. By any chance did you compare the sound with your transport? Curious to know how they compare.

Just have an old Integra DPS 6.9 universal DVD player in that secondary system connected via coax digital to the Hegel H190.  When I moved the Integra in there (from another secondary system) a couple weeks back I listened to just a few things.  At that point, I had a Windows 10 Music Server running JRiver (which required downsampling since the Hegel USB input only will do 24/96) along with a Teac UD-501 DAC (I just moved the music server and DAC to another secondary system last night).  No question the Teac DAC was better than disc spinning (playing back from memory with the music server) and I also had Synology's DS Audio App running (and playing over the network) and that was better than the disc spinning as was using JRiver via DLNA (using the Hegel as a DAC and it can do 192kHz via the network connection).  I had initial trouble with Bubble UPNP App on the old Android tablet but figured that out.  Using Apps other than Bubble UPNP meant no (sound from) DSD files (the App converts them as I specify the maximum sampling frequency of the DLNA renderer - not sure to what but it sound good and for a secondary system that sees really limited use it is fine).  Hegel has a model above the H190 that can do double DSD.  I traded my old main system amp for the Hegel (which was a dealer demo) and thus am now selling the amp, preamp and DAC I had in that secondary system.

The only transports I've personally heard that can rival file playback are the PerfectWave transports from PS Audio which stores the files in memory like a computer - http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first-listen-ps-audio-perfectwave-memory-player-transport/   I have a friend who has that model.  The newer model I believe can read SACD discs too.  I don't spend much time with transports other than to verify they work and they basically only get used if someone comes over with a disc.  I've owned expensive disc spinners in the past and at this point I don't have much use for them.  I know people who still use disc spinners and like it but lots of times when I'm over they spend time looking for a particular CD that gets buried somewhere (been there done that) and sometimes don't find it for days.  I don't think I can personally go back to disc spinners.

envydd

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2018, 05:40 pm »
Hi Phil

Thanks for the detailed reply. I spent some time over the weekend to tweak a Daphile setup on an old computer. Unfortunately one cant use it as a pure CD player just yet but one can set it up to auto rip upon install.

Thx for the PSA tip. The new model does SACD (and uses an Oppo transport!), and costs quite a bit more! The only other reasonably priced transport is the NuPrime CDT8 that reads into memory and then decodes (like the PSA transports). These maybe useful when someone doesnt want to rip the CD e.g. borrowed CDs. Other than that,

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2018, 06:13 pm »
Hi Phil

Thanks for the detailed reply. I spent some time over the weekend to tweak a Daphile setup on an old computer. Unfortunately one cant use it as a pure CD player just yet but one can set it up to auto rip upon install.

Thx for the PSA tip. The new model does SACD (and uses an Oppo transport!), and costs quite a bit more! The only other reasonably priced transport is the NuPrime CDT8 that reads into memory and then decodes (like the PSA transports). These maybe useful when someone doesnt want to rip the CD e.g. borrowed CDs. Other than that,

Good info - heard about the NuPrime.  Didn't realize the NuPrime did that too.  I'd guess with a Bryston digital file player, the Bryston BOT would do that as well.  For regular CD transports, the best one I've had in one of my systems many moons ago was a Proceed PMDT (no longer made or supported).  The second best was an old Marantz DV9600 I owned at one point.  I've heard the old Cambridge Audio transport (my friend who now has the PS Audio had one) and that was pretty good too but not nearly as good as the PS Audio.