Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...

Chops

Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...
« on: 7 May 2018, 06:22 pm »
Just as the title says, I'm thinking about using a pair of these on OB's.

Has anyone here used these on OB's and what are your thoughts? Maybe stepping up to the 12's?

Bass won't be an issue as I'll be building H-frame subs using eight 12's, four per channel.

Should the AN's just be played fullrange, or should I run them through the dbx Venu 360 and have them crossed at 100+ Hz or something?

I'll write more later this evening as I'm on my lunch break and need to head back now.

Many thanks in advance!

Chops

Re: Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2018, 10:37 pm »
Okay, so a little bit more about the future system plans...

H-Frame OB bass will be handled by a total of EIGHT 12" Eminence Acoustinator N2012 guitar speakers with neodymium magnets. They will be crossed over and EQ'ed by a dbx Driverack Venu 360 and will be powered by a Carver M-500t MkII amplifier (MkII means full upgrades and mods performed). It produces a very solid 390 watts per channel into 8 ohms. More than enough for these drivers. The H-Frames will be cloned to those of Danny Richie's design/size H-Frames.

The Audio Nirvana Super 10/12 Ferrite fullrange drivers will be on narrow OB panels with maybe one or two asymmetrical "wings". They will sit atop one of the two H-Frames per channel as the H-Frames will be sitting side-by-side. The Audio Nirvana drivers will also be crossed over and EQ'ed by the same dbx Driverack Venu 360 and will be powered by yet another modded and updated Carver M-500t MkII amplifier.

Of course, if I can get by without using any crossover or EQ in the signal chain going to the fullrange drivers, that will be even better. And while being rated at 99 dB efficient, I may even end up going with a totally different amplifier to power them later down the road.

If this project turns out performing really well, they may end up totally replacing my current setup which includes a pair of mint AV123 X-Statik OB hybrid speakers with fully upgraded crossovers and a pair of mint, nearly new JL Audio e110 powered subwoofers which are some of the best sounding little subs I have had the pleasure of owning. They're very impressive.

Current setup...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2018, 11:13 pm »
The Super10CF had a nice review here as OB direct full band, no woofer:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/audionirvana.html
But for some reason he change the text and review format to various AN drivers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2018, 11:52 pm »
Bass won't be an issue as I'll be building H-frame subs using eight 12's, four per channel.
I could use just 1 Alpha15A in OB or 1 Deltalite 2515 in a big BR box 130L (99dB).
Should the AN's just be played fullrange, or should I run them through the dbx Venu 360 and have them crossed at 100+ Hz or something?
I prefer things simple, this FR not need EQ when used to mid/treble range.

Chops

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2018, 01:17 am »
The Super10CF had a nice review here as OB direct full band, no woofer:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/audionirvana.html
But for some reason he change the text and review format to various AN drivers.

Thanks for the link. I'll go check it out!

Chops

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2018, 01:24 am »
I could use just 1 Alpha15A in OB or 1 Deltalite 2515 in a big BR box 130L (99dB).
I prefer things simple, this FR not need EQ when used to mid/treble range.

Well I already had 4 of those N2012 drivers that I bought new from Danny years ago. The package was never opened. And since these Carver amps can play down into a 4 ohm load, they really prefer an 8 ohm load, and I'm always one for overkill, so I bought two more from a member here, and am going to buy two more for a total of eight and so I can wire them series/parallel for an 8 ohm load per channel. Plus, that makes them super efficient and having to move a lot less. Not to mention I like plenty of "oomph", especially when listening to pipe organ music, which I do a lot of.

I too prefer simple. Definitely when it comes to the most critical hearing range. Still thinking I want to go with the Super 12's though as I think I read somewhere that they tend to be a little smoother or refined on the top end.

Chops

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 10:56 pm »
A little update...

I ordered a pair of the Super 12's the other day from David Dicks. They'll be here this Wednesday.

I also have a friend here in town that has a CNC machine at his disposal, so I'll be getting all of the 0.75" MDF and 0.75" BB plywood for this project cut on that.

I also have a question if anyone knows... I'll be giving the Super 12's a fullrange signal straight out of the preamp (no dbx in the path at all), though will not be attempting to get fullrange sound from them in room. As long as I can get them somewhat flat down to 100 - 150 Hz is fine with me. So roughly how large will the baffle for the Super 12's have to be?

I'd like for them to be a small as possible to be honest. I'm still trying to find out how high up I can cross the H-frame drivers without degrading sound quality. I think I've read somewhere before something like 200 Hz, but I'd like to keep them lower than that if possible. I asked Danny Richie in this forum, but need to wait for a response as I just posted it right before this post here.

Many thanks in advance!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 11:36 pm »
I also have a question if anyone knows... I'll be giving the Super 12's a fullrange signal straight out of the preamp (no dbx in the path at all), though will not be attempting to get fullrange sound from them in room. As long as I can get them somewhat flat down to 100 - 150 Hz is fine with me. So roughly how large will the baffle for the Super 12's have to be?
I would suggest not drive the Super12 with an preamp, instead with a proper power amp or integrated.

I dont see why you should use noise reductors as dbx.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 11:46 pm »
I would suggest not drive the Super12 with an preamp, instead with a proper power amp or integrated.

He plans to run them full range without a high pass crossover before the amp.

Chops

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 12:27 am »

Definitely not what I meant. Also, dbx make a lot more than just noise reduction units.

Chops

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2018, 12:27 am »
He plans to run them full range without a high pass crossover before the amp.

Exactly.

Chops

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2018, 12:41 am »
Well... Something happened today, and it sounds a LOT better than I was expecting! This is only a temp setup to break in the AN drivers.

The AN's are running fullrange, the N2012's are boosted 11 dB and rolling off after 165 Hz. And no, the JL's are NOT being used and no EQ being used.

Chops

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2018, 06:30 pm »
Wow... Nothing in here?... Hmm. Anyway...

Finally able to sit and relax for once in over a month, and just listen to some music. And it's really the first to sit and listen to these new OB speakers. They have been breaking in almost non-stop since Wednesday evening, but only at moderate to whisper volumes. Today however, I have been ripping them some, and these Audio Nirvana drivers have been smoothing out a little in the upper midrange and opening up. They have a total of about 60 hours on them so far which means about another 240 hours to go.

As the AN drivers have been "loosening" up a bit, I have had to tweak the crossover settings on the bass drivers a little. They are now boosted to +13 dB and crossed over at 200 Hz @ 36 dB. 

Crystal clear, extremely dynamic (something I have missed for years now), incredibly crisp and fast, pin-point imaging, vocals and certain instruments locked down dead center where they should be, with no drift between the speakers, a large, wide and deep sound stage. And the bass...

This isn't even close to what I'm eventually going to have running, and I'm already amazed at the bass performance. The AN drives aren't contributing much below 150 Hz or so on these baffles, but they sure as heck make up for it in everything else they're doing. But the amazing about the bass is that it's just a single Eminence Acoustinator N2012 driver mounted at the bottom of the baffle, which in itself is a somewhat small baffle. These drivers are digging deep into the 30's with ease. The bass is effortless, stress free, very tight, agile, dynamic, detailed and tactile! I can't believe that in the end, there's going to be a total of FOUR of these bass drivers per channel! One of my brothers thought I had turned the JL subs back on... That is until he noticed later that the subs aren't even in the room anymore, much less connected to the system and running!

I must admit, this has to be one of the easiest and best loudspeaker projects I have done yet. And it's only going to get better from here!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2018, 11:49 pm »
Avoid run these speakers around the clock not to mention 24/7, the VC former is paper not kapton, aluminium or copper as in pro audio speakers and the magnet is barely open.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 12:51 am by FullRangeMan »

Chops

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2018, 11:00 pm »
Avoid run these speakers around the clock not to mention 24/7, the VC former is paper not kapton, aluminium or copper as in pro audio speakers and the magnet is barely open.

???  :o

You do know these speakers are only seeing about a half watt at max, right? Not to mention that the VC is wide open in the front where the phase plug is.  :duh:

I don't abuse my equipment, so I have no worries at all about drivers not having vented VC's.  :roll:

Chops

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2018, 05:41 am »
Okay, so this thread isn't really taking off at all. But anyway, here's the current plan on what I'll probably be starting on this weekend as I finally have all four pairs of woofers finally. Throwing around a couple of ideas for the fullrange baffle design.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2018, 05:57 am »
An compact WAF idea:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2018, 05:58 am »
Chops,

I'm lurking and not participating because I have no experience with what you're doing. I'm interested, but I can't offer much more than some oohs and ahhs, and "Hey. That must sound awesome!"

Picture me as.... :popcorn:

Michael

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2018, 06:35 am »
I think this can be fun if you know what you're doing and you've got a sense of adventure.

Of those two proposed designs as illustrated above, the first one looks like the better bet as far as WAF goes. 

BTW, your X-Statik's look very nice! :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2018, 06:56 am »
This placement is old used in bass/guitars cabinets 4x10/4x12,
very suited to ''small'' rooms: