Robbie Robertson:"Contact From Underworld of Red Boy

Tonto Yoder

Gordy and I were talking about this CD earlier today.  Thought others might find this brief article with various links interesting.  There's a Japanese version of the CD that I think is sonically superior (though expensive?) that's mentioned in one of the links.

Gordy

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2005, 05:25 am »
Thanks once again TY!  That must be the tenth time you've rec'd for me!!!

I found an inexpensive copy here....  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/B00000634T/qid=1104556882/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2a//002-2757249-5956823?condition=all   :D

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2005, 10:56 am »
Hope you end up liking it as much as I do.  "Sacrifice" is interesting since it incorporates the spoken narrative of Leonard Peltier telling the events leading to his imprisonment, but Robertson gives it such instrumental/ rhythmic accompaniment that it ends up being very musical.

Thump553

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:09 pm »
This album is a very unexpected pleasure.  I'm a pretty big Band fan, but previous Robertson solo efforts left me unimpressed.  I ran across this album in a library and grabbed it, expecting the worst.  It's well worth hearing and quite moving, and not the vanity project I feared it might be.  It is nothing like the Band, of course, but the music is surprisingly moving.

randog

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2005, 01:57 pm »
I have to agree with everything Thump says about Robertson and The Band tho I haven't heard Robertson's new effort.

This Wheel's on Fire, a book by Levon Helm about The Band days speaks a lot about Robertson and how the record label coined him the band leader (because they felt a band needed one) and had him as author or co-author of all the songs (even though they were all collaborative efforts)... all this because he played lead guitar. This all quickly went to Robertson's head and is the main reason for the band's demise (according to the book).

It's also interesting to note that things started falling apart for the band after Big Pink which falls in line with what I believe: their first 2 albums are far superior to the rest. The rest of the albums were pushed out based on commitments to the label. In reality, those albums are not bad especially considering the chaos going through the group at that time.

Robertson's arrogance towards the rest of The Band exists to this day and that alone makes it hard for me to listen to him (besides the fact that I think his solo stuff bites). Good on him if he's made a worthwhile effort on this album.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2005, 12:29 am »
Quote from: Thump553
This album is a very unexpected pleasure.

There's also a similar CD "Music for Native Americans". I personally prefer "Redboy" but others may well like the Red Road Ensemble work more.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: Gordy
Thanks once again TY!  That must be the tenth time you've rec'd for me!!!

When you've had a chance to listen, let me know whether you thought my comparison to the Dead Can Dance genre was a valid one (not that Robertson sounds similar, but I thought the music would appeal to DCD fans).

Gordy

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2005, 03:22 am »
I just receive it Monday, along with a few others!  Most folks who enjoy multi/alt cultural music should enjoy this one.  Where I hear DCD drawing on Eastern, Celtic and NA influences Robbie's is, obviously, NA centric  with big dollops of R&B, rock and Blues   8)    Good call Tonto!