Strange lists, strange prices

rmihai0

Strange lists, strange prices
« on: 21 Dec 2004, 03:39 pm »
Dear classical music lovers,

I am very surprised to see strange things happening. I tried to buy couple of old LPs. Some of them were hugely overpriced. And when I asked the sellers why is that they said: because is on the TAS list, or because is on the www.high-endaudio.com list.
After, I tried to buy other LPs on EBay - the same problem - the LPs that are appearing in any of this lists are grossly overpriced.

So. I studied the lists - nothing special - more than that - I can say that the authors do not have much of idea about classical music. For instance most of the recordings from TAS lists are conducted by Andre Previn.The other famous conductors - most of them unexistent.

My wonder, and question to you: why is everybody looking to these lists, as long as, other than maybe 2% from what is there, are nothing else than maybe (I said maybe) mastepieces of RECORDING and not of the interpretation or composition by itself. From musical point of view they do not represent too much.

Is the world of music lovers starting to collect RECORDINGS and not interpratations?

I can easily come up with a list that anytime will be better from a musical perspective than the 2 above mentioned lists.

What is happening? please explain to me - maybe I am missing something... (altough I don't think so)

Happy holidays to everyone

SWG255

Re: Strange lists, strange prices
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2004, 04:14 pm »
I think this speaks volumes about the herd mentality of many audiophiles and the willingness of sellers to take advantage of the artificial demand for these recordings it creates. Once in awhile the audio magazines get it right and recommend recordings whose musical merit is comparable to their sonic presentation, but often as you've observed, this is not the case.

I'm just as guilty of purchasing "audiophile" recordings whose musical content is incipid at best because of oner or another sonic virtue the recording possesses. When one has all this nice-sounding gear it's difficult to resist the ear-candy to feed it. :)

Quote from: rmihai0
Dear classical music lovers,

I am very surprised to see strange things happening. I tried to buy couple of old LPs. Some of them were hugely overpriced. And when I asked the sellers why is that they said: because is on the TAS list, or because is on the www.high-endaudio.com list.
After, I tried to buy other LPs on EBay - the same problem - the LPs that are appearing in any of this lists are grossly overpriced.

So. I studied the lists - nothing special - more than that - I can say that the authors do ...