Ex-Pantera Guitarist shot dead on stage in Ohio Club

jackman

« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2004, 10:23 pm »
I am digging through my CD collection and must admit that I haven't played this one in a LONG time but my favorite Pantera album is Cowboys From Hell.  It's much more listenable (and probably a bit wimpy for the hardcore fan) than some of the harder stuff.  In the day, these guys smoked Metallica (and a lot of weed!).  Here is the amazon link in case anyone wants to rock out in 10 second clips!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002JNJ/qid=1102803246/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8890231-7217739?v=glance&s=music

Jman

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2004, 10:43 pm »
I thought Pantera were pussies back then, as I was more into the "heavy" stuff (eg Metallica & Slayer).  Plus they were "new".  I really should give their music a shot again, but I don't remember them as being very good.  Still, Dimebag was a great guitar player.

nathanm

« Reply #22 on: 11 Dec 2004, 11:01 pm »
I thought Pantera were pussies back then, as I was more into the "heavy" stuff (eg Metallica & Slayer).

What the hell Rob, that sentence makes no damn sense! :lol: :P  Well, unless you are referring to the glam days of Pantera.  The little I've heard of that was pretty laughable.  

I agree with Jackman, "Cowboys" is more listenable.  I liked the recording better.  The thing I cannot stand about Pantera is the drum sound.  Clickity plickity...ack!  (I've heard worse, though)  Also, Cowboys featured more of Phil Anselmo's clean singing voice too whereas later albums were much more screaming and agression. (which is good too) "Wimpy" it is not though, by any stretch, IMO.

Also check out the band Exhorder for more of that type of sound.

jackman

« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2004, 12:08 am »
Hi Nathan,

I wasn't saying it sounds "wimpy", I meant many hardcore listeners might think Cowboys sounded wimpy versus later stuff.  I have always liked Pantera more than Metallica, especially the Cowboys from Hell album.  I have to agree regarding the way the drums are miked.  I think they were just going for a more articulate sound but it comes off sounding ticky-tack.  The vocals on that album are more to my liking than the later "mike in the mouth" demon from hell vocal found on later (and many metal) records.  

Either way, Dimebag just made the Rock and Roll A-list by checking out early.  I don't know if you can become a true rock legend without being dead.  Congratulations Dimebag. RIP.

Jman

Hantra

« Reply #24 on: 12 Dec 2004, 12:39 am »
I don't suppose anyone here can disk the Ball tonight?  I don't have any way to capture it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 12 Dec 2004, 12:52 am »
Their old stuff is too glam and their hayday-stuff was too nu-metally for me.  Not hard, exactly, just flat and uninteresting.  I can hear some shades of the doom type stuff creeping in.  JMOHO, of course...you can tell from The Metallicus that I like NWoBHM, Thrash & Prog Metal a lot more than the other stuff.

I guess partly an old roomie of mine played "Cowboys From Hell" and "Far Beyond Driven" seemingly 24/7.  Nothing like repetition to kill something you didn't really care much for anyway.  If I can I'll see if I can find someone that has those discs and give 'em one more shot.

Incidentally, now that I'm older and mellower ( :wink: ) I might even like Damageplan.  If it's like Pantera but with some melody & hooks I might dig it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 12 Dec 2004, 12:54 am »
BTW, NathanM, your avatar really freaked my shit out last nite!  For some reason, late last nite was the first time I noticed that Brother Theodore periodically rolls his eyes! :o  :lol: