Ex-Pantera Guitarist shot dead on stage in Ohio Club

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I just saw that "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott was shot to death by a deranged gunman while his new band, Damageplan, was playing in an Ohio club last night.

Although I wasn't a fan, Pantera was a popular and influencial metal band of the 90's.  "Far Beyond Driven" and "Cowboys From Hell" had a large following among fans of the waning years of metal.

Regardless of what type of music you listen to, it's chilling that someone could get onstage and shoot five people dead at a packed concert.  It could hae been far worse- a cop happened to be very nearby when the call came in.  He responded within two minutes, shooting & killing the gunman as he tried to kill another person.  Investigators have no clue as to the motive of the shooter.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2004, 10:52 pm »
that is two deadly concerts within a year now...remember that concert with Great White (thanks Rob..I've fixed it now) where there was a terrible fire and a bunch of people died...

what a psycho that Nathan Gale guy for shooting those band members and fans...they were all there just having a good time...just horrible. :(  :cry:

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2004, 11:10 pm »
Holy shit!  :o That is a shocker!  Pantera put on a helluva show every time I ever saw them years back.  How awful... :(

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2004, 11:13 pm »
Close, Heavystarch.  The fire was at a Great White concert, a band I've seen a few times.  Yeah, that was a bad one, too.  A lot of fans died, plus one band member.

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2004, 01:20 am »
Quote from: nathanm
Holy shit!  :o That is a shocker!  Pantera put on a helluva show every time I ever saw them years back.  How awful... :(

Roger that.  I like Pantera.  It's intelligent Southern metal.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2004, 02:54 am »
Since the "shooter" was shot dead by the police, guess we'll never know why he did what he did.  :?
    A real shame...Dimebag had some great licks ! :guitar: [/list:u]

Hantra

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:03 am »
Man. . I'd have shot his ass too.  And then told him to "Walk on home boy".  

Sucks man. . . I was looking forward to the Fuc/<ing Hostile Reunion Tour.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:22 am »
Does anyone else think it's unfortunate for "Dime bag's"  family that he had that nick name?  Might just as well called him "dope head"

Hantra

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:37 am »
The more I read about this, the more it pisses me off:

Abbott was murdered on stage on December 8, 2004, the 24th anniversary of John Lennon's murder, at a Damageplan concert at the Alrosa Villa nightclub in Columbus, Ohio. Nathan Gale opened fire after allegedly making a statement about the breakup of Pantera. Three others were also killed in the shooting, Nathan Bray, 23, club employee Erin Halk, 29, and Jeff Thompson, 40, from Texas. Another person at the club was seriously injured.

Gale, of Marysville, Ohio, jumped onto the stage at about 22:00, just after the gig started, and fired at Abbott about five times. Gale also shot and injured another member of the band before turning on the crowd. According to police, Gale had a hostage (Vinnie Paul, allegedly) in a headlock position and moved slightly, which allowed police officer James D. Niggemeyer to shoot him dead.

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:42 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Does anyone else think it's unfortunate for "Dime bag's"  family that he had that nick name?  Might just as well called him "dope head"

No.

Hantra

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:47 am »

Man he changed his name to Dimebag from Diamond Darrell b/c back in the day they were like a glam metal band, and sort of went away from that went it went way out of style.  It's all marketing.  Like Eric Clapton, Britney Spears, or anyone else who has a stage name.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:51 am »
Abbott was murdered on stage on December 8, 2004, the 24th anniversary of John Lennon's murder
    Wow, I completely forgot about Lennon on Dec. 8th.... I was in Manhattan that night at rehearsal . Heard the news about shooting , then drove up to the Dakota on 72nd. street....another sad event. :( [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:58 am »
Dope didn't kill him...a bullet did.
    B is right, just a stage name....adds a little interest.[/list:u]

nathanm

« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2004, 05:03 am »
It's not marketing, it's his way of life!  It's not like the record label gave him a nickname!  Pantera was a HUGE pro-weed band!  Those guys partied hard.  I just pulled out their DVD and watched it again.  Crazy shit!  There's nothing artificial about those guys, they're just straight up 100% rock 'n rollers.  As sickening and tragic as this crime is, I'm at least somewhat glad that Dimebag died while rocking out.  It is a sad day for heavy metal indeed.

Hantra

« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2004, 03:53 pm »
CNN is reporting that Vinnie was also shot, but I have been unable to confirm with any other source.

And BTW, the asshole shooter was a former Marine from NC.

http://www.newsandrecord.com/news/now/gale121004.htm

nathanm

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2004, 05:50 pm »
Doesn't sound like Vinnie was shot, they just said he was "rushed to safety".

Quote from: CNN
The guitarist's brother, Vinnie Paul Abbott, the drummer for Damageplan, was rushed to safety offstage and tearfully tried to learn his brother's fate from officers who had little information in the confusion.

Of all the stupid reasons to go on a killing spree this has got to be one of the stupidest.  Obviously this guy's life must've sucked enough to want to kill a man for breaking a band up.  Unfathomable!  Why couldn't this loser put the gun to his own head?

Hantra

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:40 am »
I had to post this:

Dean Guitars founder Dean B. Zelinsky has issued the following statement regarding the death of DAMAGEPLAN/ex-PANTERA guitarist Dimebag Darrell:

"As I sit here awake at 2:34 am, feeling numb beyond belief to the news that our good friend Darrell Abbott is no longer with us, I would like to share my thoughts as they come to mind.

"I met Darrell when he was only a kid, not old enough to get into the clubs for which he would later grace the stages throughout his impressive career. This kid was great at 16 years old and destined to become the idol we now know as Dimebag Darrell.

"Darrell became the true persona of a rock star. He personified and exemplified the rock life …he lived it 24/7. It is the Dimebag Darrells that make this industry we all are so emotionally attached to 'bigger than life.' He truly knew his role...after all; he was also rock's biggest fan. He grew up with the dream and had what it takes to put it all together.

"Anyone who ever met Dimebag Darrell will tell you, they were touched for life. He treated his fans like royalty, as he knew what it was like to be a kid at a concert and seeing your idol onstage…he wanted to give it all back. When Darrell was off stage, he was always aware of whom he was and the effect he had on his fans. People who knew him will tell you that behind the persona of Dimebag Darrell was a guy who was kind, loyal, sentimental, full of emotion, full of life, charismatic and extremely talented. Darrell was an artist not only with a guitar but also with a pen. When I would meet with him, he would show up with a file folder full of drawings of his guitar designs.

"Just a few weeks ago I was with Darrell at a show in Milwaukee. Backstage after the show, two kids were waiting at the stage door and would not leave without seeing Darrell. When he got wind of this he insisted they be brought back to meet him. These kids were so in awe to meet their idol, then Darrell rocked their world when he put them on the VIP list for the Chicago show the very next day.

"Darrell was one of rock's greatest guitarists. He took metal to whole new level and showed young rockers how the instrument was to be played. He made young kids all over the world want to pick up a guitar and play like Dime! He potentially inspired more kids to play guitar than any artist in recent history.

"On a personal note, words cannot express the loss I am feeling. Of all the stars I have met in the past 28 years, nobody touched me like Darrell. He was the artist who would bring me on stage and introduce me as the world's greatest guitar maker. He was a fan of mine as I was a fan of him. No single artist has done more for the popularity of Dean Guitars than Dimebag Darrell.

"These past months working with Darrell on new guitar designs, talking to him just about every day have been the most invigorating times in my 28-year career. Seeing Dime onstage with a Dean in his hands again brought back feelings I thought were gone forever. Just yesterday I was on the phone with him discussing the photo shoot we had set up for the show in Michigan on Friday to introduce his new Razorback design. He started talking about how he couldn't wait to get home in a few days to work on the new DAMAGEPLAN CD. He said this new CD was going to be heavier than ever and blow people's minds.

"I cannot help but think about Rita. She and Darrell had been together since they were in 3rd grade. I have worked very closely with her these past months as she handles all of Dime's affairs. She is truly the woman behind the man and Dimebag would have told you, he wouldn't have been Dimebag without Rita. She is one very special person and I cannot fathom the pain she must be feeling. Our deepest sympathy goes out to his brother Vinnie and the rest of his family. Our hearts go out as well to the other victims of this horrible tragedy.

"Darrell was a living legend. He lived every day of his life to the fullest. I will always remember his smile onstage. He loved what he did and it showed. No matter how big the crowd, he could always find you and fling a guitar pick your way. We at Dean have lost a great artist but more importantly, a true friend. The world has lost a great human being."

_______________________________________ _

This whole thing is making me fucking hostile.  Mustaine is hosting the Ball tomorrow night at 10 as a tribute.

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2004, 05:17 pm »
Okay, I'm proud to admit that I was a huge fan of Pantera and Dimebag back in the day.  He was a good guy and a great guitarist and will be missed by everyone who liked his style of metal.  

I get a kick out of how people are portrayed by the media.  People would never know that Dimebag was a good guy because people who are pro-weed, with long hair, tatoos and who like to listen to LOUD heavy music are often portrayed as criminals our outcasts.  Truth is, most of the images people have in the public eye are bullcrap.  Truth is, if you went up to someone Dimebag in a club or after a show, he'd probably give you an autograph and speak with you...if you went up to a media creation like Btitney or similar, you'd probably get your ass severely kicked by a body-guard.  

Rock and Roll has lost a good guy, a great player and a true artist.  Guys like Dimebag are getting more and more rare in the entertainment world.

J

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2004, 05:59 pm »
I never really got into Pantera, but what I heard I always liked.  They rocked, its too bad what happened. Sucks that the nice guys are the ones who get the short end of the stick.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2004, 10:22 pm »
I am digging through my CD collection and must admit that I haven't played this one in a LONG time but my favorite Pantera album is Cowboys From Hell.  It's much more listenable (and probably a bit wimpy for the hardcore fan) than some of the harder stuff.  In the day, these guys smoked Metallica (and a lot of weed!).  

Jman