Derek Trucks Band at the Avalon in Boston

nickspicks

« on: 23 Nov 2004, 02:32 pm »
I just caught this band at the avalon in Boston, MA.  As the subject reads....

any way, what a show!  I've seen these guys a number of times, but this was the best performance i've seen.  Derek is such a slide guitar player.  Amazing.  Kofi Burbridge on the Hammond B3 and flute is also an exceptional musician.
The singer is amazing..and this night they had their old singer ...who has a very different but equaly impressive/powerful voice.  Plus Dereks wife, Susan Tedeschi, got up on stage and played guitar and sang a few tunes.  
Killer energy in the venue. I highly recomend these guys if anyone is in need of a really fat R&B infushion w/a mix of world music tones.   Between Dereks distortion and the overdriven Leslie speakers for the organ, the band has a "grind" to them.  The singer also lends into this affect, imo.

Any way..
the DTB has an open audience recording policy.
So I lugged my AKG c414s in and ran them into a Fostex FR2 24bit recorder.  I ran the mics in a blumlein pair, and picked out (by ear durring the opening act) the "impact zone" in the venue.  The place where image center was in the soundfield.  I set up there, and nailed this recording.
Unfortunately, I had a disc error from heat (running 24bit / 96khz in my gear bag) which resulted in a 1 minute drop out.  I resumed at 24/48 and was fine from there on out.
I"d like to offer up my 24bit master files, tracked out and FLAC encoded to anyone who wants them.  the redbook version is also available for download on archive.org (in a few minutes...uploading the last track now).  Show date was 11-20-2004.  You can find it up here:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=20015&from=browseRecent

nickspicks

« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2004, 03:10 pm »
oh yea..
and here is an mp3 sample
www.nickspicks.com/mp3/dtb11-20-04.mp3
its a little over 3mb.