What's your favorite recording of Holst: The Planets?

Double Ugly

I just ordered two recordings from cdconnection.com -
    1.  Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic  
    2.  James Levine's version with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra[/list:u]
    I'm told these should offer very different - but hopefully equally pleasing - versions of the Holst classic.  

Does anyone have either (or both) of these?  Out of all the versions available, which is your favorite, and why?

Thanks.  I look forward to my next lesson in
Learning to Appreciate Classical Music (at my wife's insistence).

Jim

steve k

« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:46 am »
1. Dutoit and Montreal Symphony
2. Sir Adrian Boult and the London Symphony and Ambrosian Singers
steve k

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:49 am »
I'll second the vote for Dutoit & the Montreal Symphony.  It's probably my favorite recording of The Planets.

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2004, 06:39 am »
Thanks for the responses, guys.  I guess I'll get the Dutoit version, too.

I listened to an old CD my wife has had for years and really liked it, which surprised me since I didn't care for what little classical I've heard.  I don't remember which version it is, but it has definitely seen better days.  Kandy asked that I check here before ordering a replacement, but I thought I could figure out what to get with a little online research.

Based on your responses, I guess I was wrong.   :oops:

Hopefully this is a piece that I won't mind having 3 different recordings of.  I'm told several are excellent, but feature different approaches by the respective conductors.  I guess this will be my first opportunity to determine which version of a "classical classic" I prefer.

Thanks again.

Jim

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2004, 06:47 am »
Boult and the LPO (LP # ASD 3649; CD # 0777 7 64748 2 3) is my absolute favorite performance, and it's a great EMI recording too.  Everything is very well balanced musically--nothing is rushed or too slow.  Another fine performance and recording is Susskind's with the St. Louis SO (VoxBox CD #CDX 5015, with Smetana's Ma Vlast).  I have Dutoit's but haven't heard it in months and remember nothing about it--but I still have it which means I at least like it.  Ditto for Boughton's with the Philharmonia on Nimbus (CD # NI5117).  (I get rid of those I don't like.)   A new one that sounded quite good the 1st time I listened is Elder's with the Halle; it includes Colin Matthews's movement Pluto--hyperion multichannel SACD # SDACDA67270.

HighFidelityReview.com has a LONG review of Mobile Fidelity's new multichannel, hi-res release of Susskind's recording, here http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=16592626.  Invest the time; you'll learn a lot--I've been listening and buying 'Planets' for about 30 years and I did.

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:14 am »
Much appreciated, Jeffrey.  I'll do that.   :thumb:

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:26 am »
The Planets is one of my favorite classical works. I have five different ones. The one I enjoy the most...Boult , LPO EMI/Angel CDM 7 69045 2.
    Andre Previn's Telarc recording is also very good....good recording, good sound....and cover :lol: [/list:u]
    [/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:48 am »
    Thanks, Chris.  Guess I'll get the Boult, too, but I'm gonna stop at 5.   :o

Man, oh man...my research sucked!  I spent two hours reading online reviews, and yet it seems no one cares for the two I chose.   :?  

BTW, the monoblocks should be here tomorrow.  I'll only have 'em a couple of days, but it should prove interesting!

Take care,

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    « Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2004, 08:06 am »
    Thanks ... Hope your feeling better.... :D
      Sit back, relax and listen. :wink: [/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2004, 09:31 am »
    OK...Bob and/or Steve...help me out here.  Do I want the from Dutoit version from Polygram Records, or the one from Decca (Penguin Music Classics Series)?

Per Amazon.com, the Polygram was released in 1990, the Decca in 1998.

Thanks again.

Jim

steve k

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2004, 11:12 am »
    I have the 1990 version on vinyl. It was actually recorded in 1987.
    steve k

Double Ugly

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2004, 11:45 am »
    Thanks Steve.

I don't know what the difference is or if it matters, but I ordered the '98 version from Decca.  By the time I finished posting the question, Amazon had already begun filling my order and wouldn't allow me to make changes.  Since the Decca version is what I'd already selected (I didn't notice the other till later), that's what I got.

So the final "The Planets" count is five:
      1. Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic
      2. James Levine with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
      3.  Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony
      4.  The EMI version of Boult and the London Symphony
      5.  Mobile Fidelity's new Susskind recording (SACD hybrid)[/list:u]
      Thanks again to all who responded, especially Jeffrey for the excellent advice and linked review.  And a special thanks to lonewolfny42, who traded PMs with me literally all night while we tried to find the "correct" version of the Boult recording.

I owe you, Chris.  You da man!   :thumb:

Jim

Eric

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:08 pm »
    I believe there is an XRCD version coming out soon

Eric

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:09 pm »

SWG255

I second Sir Adrian Boult
    « Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:55 pm »
    I have had three versions of "The Planets" over the years, Zubin Meta conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Andre Previn conducting the LSO (I think, I don't have this anymore to check) and two performances conducted by Sir Adrian Boult. Of these i prefer the Boult recording with the London Philharmonic on EMI. These were all vinyl, so I really appreciate this thread because I've been thinking about getting a CD or SACD version since i don't have the vinyl rig anymore.

One thing is obvious though, if one is delving into classical or jazz, doing one's homework first can really save one some money. While having multiple performances and/or recordings of a piece can be worthwhile, it will make a dent in the wallet, and usually I find that I end up listening to just one of the several performances I buy.

When considering a piece I usually go to various websites including the music circle here, Audio Asylum's music forums, and several of the classical and jazz sites on the web.

Please let us know what you think of each of the recordings you've purchased.

Marbles

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2004, 03:12 pm »
    I have a 24/96 DTS version of this that's pretty good, but I don't have any other details, as it's at home.

I'll try to post later with more info.

PhilNYC

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:14 pm »
    Quote from: Eric

It's already out:

http://205.231.187.178/shopping/shopexd.asp?ccode=JVCXR-0228

Eric

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:20 pm »
    Justg ordered it

hmen

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:27 pm »
    My favorite has always been the Levine- Chicago recording. I just ordered the XRDC also.

Double Ugly

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2004, 04:39 pm »
    I've never heard a "Extended Resolution" CD.  I believe the nomenclature is self-explanatory, but does the difference justify the premium price tag?  What should I realistically expect to get from an XRCD that I wouldn't from a "standard" CD or hybrid SACD?

Thanks.

-Jim