reference music?

captainx0r

reference music?
« on: 8 Oct 2004, 10:57 am »
All,

I'm still working on getting really into this audio thing (and home theater), so I'd like to get some "better" music.  I've been reading a fair bit, and see that a lot of people seem to be using Norah Jones on new equipment to test it out.  What else is there out there that's of this caliber? - hopefullly you understand what I mean by that.

I'm mostly into metal, but have been trying to get into Jazz - I'm guessing that's where it's at when people talk about the soundstage, etc.?  I listened to Damageplan's new CD on my current system with my headphones and it made me almost sick with the channel switching.  On regular speakers it's acceptable.  I haven't tried any Rush yet, and knowing them I would expect it to be well recorded.  I saw them mentioned a few pages back (and Blackmore, and someone else), but it seemed to be more from a music perspective than a technical perspective.

So, any must have CDs for my collection?

Thanks.

X

Kim S.

reference music?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2004, 11:56 am »
I don't know if there are any "must have" cd's.  One of great things about this hobby is that it does broaden ones tastes in terms of styles of music.  I have several "reference" songs I play whenever I make a change in my system.  They are probably "reference" only because I am very familiar with them,not because they are the ulimate recordings.

For live rock I play "He's Dead" for Suede's The Drowners Ep. For Jazz, Getz/Gilberto The Girl from Ipanema, Acoustic ,Charo Guitar Passion.

Metal music is a great test on any systems dynamics and sound stage.  I have some early Rush cd's that I play that were not recorded well for CD.  In my previous "midfi" systems they sounded flat.  Now with better equipment they sound very good.

I'm not a huge jazz fan but I would recommend Getz/Gilberto on Verve, and Louis Armstrong "Sach Plays Fats" on CD and SACD only on Columbia.

PhilNYC

reference music?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2004, 12:12 pm »
Since you're into metal, I'll assume you like guitar.  Here are some recommendations:

Rock:
Jeff Beck - Who Else?:  Particularly "Brush with the Blues" (track 3)
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather
Santana - Shaman

Jazz:
Wes Montgomery - Full House (20bit Remaster)
Ray Brown Trio - Some of My Best Friends are Guitarists

Blues:
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Live:
McLaughlin/DiMeola/DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco
Jimmy Smith - Root Down:  Particularly "Sagg Shootin' his Arrow" (track 1).  Smith is an organ player, but there's some really great guitar work on this track.

While not superbly recorded, I also use Jeff Beck's Wired and Blow by Blow as recordings to audition systems.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
reference music?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2004, 12:25 pm »
Since you mentioned "Metal" , this cd would be close to it. A favorite of many on AC is track three...."Duende"...a good reference cut. :guitar:
    As for jazz, a cd I like to use is the Bad Plus, "These Are The Vistas", track two...excellent for bass...
listen here.[/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
reference music?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:06 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Since you mentioned "Metal" , this cd would be close to it. A favorite of many on AC is track three...."Duende"...a good reference cut. :guitar:
    As for jazz, a cd I like to use is the Bad Plus, "These Are The Vistas", track two...excellent for bass...
listen here.[/list:u]

Great choices as always Chris!!

Will be using both out at RMAF this weekend.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
reference music?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2004, 02:14 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Quote from: lonewolfny42
listen here.[/list ...
Well George, you've turned me on to a few of your favorite's....Rusted Root and Ben Harper....they are excellent choices too. Thanks !!!!! :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
reference music?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2004, 09:25 pm »
Along the lines of Jeff Beck's newer stuff, I also suggest Joe Satriani.  Engines of Creation and his newest one, Is There Love In Space both sound phenomenal.  The former, especially, has some ball crushing bass. 8)

nathanm

that's nice to see
« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2004, 10:21 pm »
"Hi-Fi" Metal (meaning it's metal AND the recording is good enough to warrant cranking on fancy pants gear and it's not so obscure that you won't be able to find it) off the top of my head:

The Fucking Champs - III, IV, V
This may be the most audiophile metal ever.  Not only are they phenomenal guitar players but you get real analog sound and a complete list of the recording chain.  How hifi nerdy can ya get!?  Get a Champs disc now, do not hesitate for a moment! :thumb: You can get it on Amazon fer cripes sakes!

Metallica - Garage Days Re-Revisted $5.98 EP.  
They recorded this one themselves and it's as good or much better than any of the formal studio recordings. In my opinion this is one of the fattest bass guitar tones ever recorded.

Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Recorded by Andy Wallace, some bigshot or something.  He did a good job.  Not exactly warm and cozy, but very clear and distinct tones.

Cianide - A Descent Into Hell
Okay, screw what I said about non-obscure.  This is the thickest, heaviest metal recording around.  If you can play this album and still think your system is bass-shy you've got some serious issues to attend to! :mrgreen: Look for a copy on eBay perhaps.

Nunslaughter - One Night In Hell
Play this record and the band is IN your living room.  Raw feed right off the sound board I'd imagine, but aside from some minor level mismatches this is what a live gig sounds\feels like.  Funny banter too. You won't be able to find a copy though. :(

Kyuss - any album
Kyuss' albums have always sounded a cut above the rest.  Very heavy, visceral, warm, analoggy...:)  Queens Of The Stone Age would also go along in this vein.

Melvins - any album
No typewriter kick drums here! :)

Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Compare this gem to the digitally-recorded and edited followup "Symphony Of Destruction" and you may find as I do that analog tape is the way metal was meant to be recorded.

Non-Fiction - "Preface" or "In The Know"
If you can track these down you'll be rewarded with some very clear and heavy tuneage.

Skyclad - the early albums before they started sucking
Let me put it this way; if a guy with a gazillion-dollar setup who only listens to jazz and movie soundtracks can find this stuff to be cool then you might too! :lol:  I wouldn't say the recordings are ideal, but they're good.  The important thing is the music and the exceptional lyrics.  I can't help it, I am a Skyclad evangelist. (there's violins in it too, if that helps...)

Atheist - Piece Of Time, Unquestionable Presence
The claim here is that they mix jazz and death metal, but personally I am not hearing the "jazz" part.  But hey, whatever - it's really technical death metal which, although rather thin in the sonics is nevertheless some of the most unique and technically advanced stuff at the time.

Skepticism
What was I saying about non-obscure? Forget that...:lol:  This is really slow funeral doom with drums and church organ that'll rip yer woofer surrounds right off their adhesive. Their music is boring and awesome at the same time - the very definition of the paradoxical music audiophiles listen to! :P

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
reference music?
« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2004, 10:55 pm »
"Nunslaughter - One Night In Hell
Play this record and the band is IN your living room."

Yikes! :o   Would that be a good thing? :lol:

I agree with Rust in Peace- that one's sitting on my PC monitor right now (I've been ripping some songs to my HD today).  One of my favorites of theirs, and certainly the best sounding one IMO.

The long & the short:  if you audition gear with no heavy metal, you'll never truly know the power of the dark side.

nathanm

reference music?
« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2004, 12:15 am »
It's very good! :wink:  I dunno about you, but I'd be happy to have the Nunslaughter guys over for a cup of tea!  "You all have a bright future - bright as the pits of perdition!" :lol:  Seriously though, this record sounds like a live show, but better because YOU control the volume!  See if there's any left at http://www.blackmetal.com  They only pressed 666 copies on vinyl! :rock:

Almost forgot, let me also add this record label in a general sense.  Go to

http://southernlord.com/

If you want some well-recorded stuff.  There's a good variety of dark goodies here, Doom, Black Metal, Stoner Rock etc.  My personal recommendation is Khanate (con-eight) for the true late night stereophonic experience.

jermmd

reference music?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2004, 01:12 am »
While listening to Brothers in Arms today, it occurred to me that Dire Straits is the most commonly mentioned or played music when demoing a system.  At least in my experience.

This is a good thing. Great music and great recordings.

Joe M.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
reference music?
« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2004, 01:15 am »
Definately.  Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler has a lot of fantastic music, and all their stuff sounds very good.  The remasters of the whole DS catalog sound fantastic, a real step up over the originals (especially Brothers In Arms).

Lost81

reference music?
« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2004, 03:10 am »
I use the Varse Saraband's re-recording of the soundtrack for "The Last of the Mohicans." The complexity and speed of the battle scores is a good test.

The soundtrack for "Gattaca" is another of my favorites. If there is no emotional engagement, and if the speakers don't disappear and you are not awash in a sea of violins and cellos, then something is wrong.

-Lost81

PhilNYC

reference music?
« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2004, 12:16 pm »
One CD that zybar brought to the last NY mini-Rave was Black Light Syndrome by Stevens/Bozio/Levens...excellent recording and very good to use as a reference for demoing gear.  I read somewhere that Tony Levens is an audiophile (owns an all-Linn system), so I'm sure he had recording quality in mind when they made the album...

hifitommy

heres some suggestions
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2004, 05:21 pm »
dire straits-on the night (live)
dire straits-love over gold
bucky pizzarelli-swing live-you want soundstage?
patricia barber-modern cool
alice in chains-unplugged
kraftwerk-electric cafe
zubin mehta and the LA phil-holsts the planets suite
moussorgsky-pictures at an exhibition/lorin maazel/cleveland orch on telarc label

of course there are too many more to mention, this is just a few.

captainx0r

thanks
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2004, 11:43 am »
Hey, thanks all.  Really good insight, and sounds like some great recommendations.  Can't wait to check it all out.  I'm glad to see one of my favorite Megadeth albums mentioned.

Thanks again.

captainx0r

oops
« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2004, 11:46 am »
hmmm... how'd that happen?  I meant to reply in another thread, and I don't even remember reading this one.  Oh well.  Sorry if I confused y'all....

captainx0r

idiot
« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2004, 11:51 am »
ok, I'm an idiot - I didn't realize there was a page 2.

Are you confused now? Oh well.... :oops: :lol:

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
reference music?
« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2004, 12:55 pm »
Here's part of our list:

http://www.audioc.com/library1/recordings.htm

Have a great day!

Eric

reference music?
« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2004, 04:38 pm »
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
Super Tramp - Crime of the Century
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me
Jose Serebrier - Rimsky-Korsokov Sheherezade
Steely Dan - Aja
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (XRCD version)