Art Panels For My Listening Room?

dodgealum

Art Panels For My Listening Room?
« on: 17 Dec 2014, 08:58 pm »
Hi Friends:

I've got my system set up in the long wall of our living room measuring 13 X 17 X 8. The wall behind the speakers opens at either end into the hallway and remainder of the downstairs. This, I believe, helps with preventing the bass from building up in the corners since there are none behind the speakers. However, I am considering treatment of the wall immediately behind the speakers to cancel out reflections and am wondering if Art Panels might be worth considering in this application. Thoughts?  Some photos of the room below:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Art Panels For My Listening Room?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2014, 07:39 pm »
Most certainly it would help. Also you could use art panels on the wall behind you and also in the early reflection points.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/video-early-first-reflection-points/

dodgealum

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 07:12 pm »
Hi Glenn:

Thanks for your reply--just getting back after the holidays. I am pretty limited to the wall behind the speakers for any treatment options. My listening position is up against the front wall and there are nice framed photos from the Francis Wolff Blue Note series just above my head. One sidewall has a large window and the other a large bookcase--not ideal but this is a living room system rather than a dedicated room so I have to work around furnishings etc. Other than the rack, the wall behind the speakers is fair game if I can find something that will add to, rather than detract from the décor. How would art panels in this location improve the room acoustics?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:20 pm »
Panels behind the speakers is going to help with boundary reflections, a bit of forward to back reflections and over all decay, so yes it will help. Please feel free though to email me other pictures of your room. I may be able to figure other areas you have not though of. ;)