Explanation of the differences between the 11 monitors that Salk offers?

AvsFan

So I have decided to stick to the original plan. Use my ZU's to really pound out the metal and industrial music. They are what I would call, a refined and well behaved rock speaker. But don't confuse that with just loud party speakers like Klipsch or JBL's or something of that nature, because they certainly are not. But they also are not the last word in detail retrieval, an airy open sound stage or micro dynamics either. Not the romantic and airy sound I am looking for when I listen to some Youn Sun Nah or Norah Jones.

I just purchased a Hegel H390 and it's a special amp. It's one of the best amps I have ever heard regardless of price. So I want a special speaker to mate with it. I will use my Hegel Rost for my ZU's.

So can someone please explain the differences between the huge offering of monitors that Jim offers? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2021, 05:04 pm by AvsFan »

RonN5

AVS FAN

As you have suggested, the product catalog is pretty large and there is overlap.  I believe this results from how their speakers originate:

1.  Some are original designs
2.  Some were requested by people who had no skills to build them at home (and had Salk build them) and turned out to be so good that they remained in the catalog
3.  Some are direct offshoots of very good sounding floorstanders

Below is a very interesting discussion with Jim Salk...which you have probably already read...but if not, enjoy.

The Salk website suggests a phone call so that a potential customer can share information about their room, music, equipment, and  listening habits...which should result in narrowing the "speaker candidate list" to a more manageable level.

I have no doubt that Salk has multiple options that will satisfy the "romantic and airy" request.  Personally, I'm a huge fan of the RAAL for open and airy...but I've also heard Song3 BeAT...and the Satori Beryllium is pretty special as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/4nw0i7/im_jim_salk_founder_of_salk_sound_ama/