Hello speaker world

Maven86

Hello speaker world
« on: 6 Sep 2020, 06:21 pm »
I decided to sign up here after getting bitten by the speaker bug.

I've been into headphone and portable audio for the last 10 years and have owned/auditioned an endless amount of gear.  I recently got into DIY and built myself a headphone tube amp that also had speaker taps.  Curiosity hit and bought a pair of Klipsch monitors on sale and...got hooked.  Looking forward to see where this crazy rabbit hole goes!

-Merv from MD

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello speaker world
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2020, 06:28 pm »
Welcome Merv  :thumb:
What are this amp?
What are your impressions on this amp driving the Klipsch?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2020, 06:43 pm »
Welcome!

Maven86

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2020, 07:07 pm »
Welcome Merv  :thumb:
What are this amp?
What are your impressions on this amp driving the Klipsch?

Thanks for the welcome FRM.  The amp I built is an Elekit 8800 with Lundahl output transformers, it's a pentode tube amp that can switch between 3 power modes and can run various tubes within those power ranges.  Would be happy to give more details if needed.

I don't have any other amp to compare with but even under low power on triode mode with a 6v6gt tube (~2W/channel), the Klipsch 600M sounds reasonably well driven in my room albeit a bit light on the bass.  However, moving to high power with a KT-88 or 6550 brings it to life.  The staging becomes bigger, it's more dynamic, and the bass hits much harder.  I'm sure, swapping out different tubes will change the tone and I'll definitely experiment when I get a bit more free time.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2020, 07:25 pm »
Thanks Merv :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2020, 01:06 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Merv   :thumb: