Neuance Isolation Shelf - HOLY HORSE APPLES!!!

mcrespo71

« on: 25 Feb 2004, 08:44 pm »
As a long time vinyl lover, I've tried many after market vibration devices to make my Rega P25 sound better- vibrapods, Black Diamond Racing Cones, Bright Star sandboxes and air bladders to pretty bad results. The best I could do was with vibrapods and BDR cones, which sounded maybe slightly better than the stock rega feet on top my rack. That's a lot of $ for a minor difference, no? The Neuance is a different animal altogether. We are talking a MAJOR improvement in the musicality of the table- music is more organic, rich, smooth, and has PRAT like crazy! In addition, the imaging got more self assured, which has always been a criticism I had of the P25, as the stage depth increased and image height went up as well. I literally can't believe the improvement. This is easily an improvement on the same magnitude as when I switched my old P3 to a P25. For $175, this shelf should be mandatory on Rega's- no kidding! I'm a big fan of Neuance and Ken Lyon at Greater Ranges.
Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2004, 09:42 pm »
Link me, baby!

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2004, 10:04 pm »
Sorry, forgot the link.....

http://www.neuanceaudio.com/

Jon L

shelves
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2004, 10:07 pm »
I've got a Neuance shelf, among many others.  The only problem would be the routine 6-week! waiting period for you to get one delivered.

If you are anxious to try the Neuance Approach, which seems to involve energy dissipation through multi-material, multi-layer shelf, you might want to give Ikea LACK tables a try.  I have the LACK also, and it's Good stuff as well.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2004, 10:27 pm »
I got a demo shelf from CES, so I didn't have to wait for the shelf.  However, based upon the improvement it wrought, it certainly is worth waiting for.

Michael

RadioWonder

Neuance
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2004, 12:17 am »
I also use a Neuance platform....  I use it under my Sony SCD-1 with
the same results.... It is amazing and very afordable...
       Ken does a great job in "Custom" making them to the audio gear of your choise.....
        The break in period is about one week.  After that "Audio Bliss".

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2004, 12:26 am »
The break in period is about one week. After that "Audio Bliss".

How exactly does an audio shelf break in?  Mine sounded good "out of the box."

Michael

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2004, 01:03 am »
Has anyone tried this under things that don't move, such as amplifiers?

I wonder if it provides improvement there as well. . .

B

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2004, 01:33 am »
When I talked with Ken (creator of Neuance platforms) he thought they would do very well under amps (especially tube amps).

I don't why I haven't actually ordered one, I have spent more money on other things...

Anyway, I can tell you that the platforms don't last very long on Audiogon and they don't show up that often.  Both of those facts do say that thet are sought after and enjoyed.

Mike, any chance of bringing yours up to my place?

George

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2004, 01:46 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71

How exactly does an audio shelf break in?  Mine sounded good "out of the box."

Michael

In the past, I had put some isolation/vibration control devices under some equipment and noticed some changes over the course of a week.  Thought I was going insane!  But someone explained to me that, particularly with constrained layered platforms, it takes a little time to let the materials compress properly, particularly at the points of contact with your gear.  The heavier the component, the less time it takes, but it still does take some time.  Whether you can hear it or not is obviously a function of your ears and your system.

I've not bought a Neuance platform, but I've communicated with Ken Lyon on a few occassions, and he is very forthcoming with thoughts/ideas, even if it's not directly related to his specific products.  Great guy!  If/when I ever decide to change the shelves in my Billy Bags rack, it will probably be with Neuance shelves...

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2004, 04:05 am »
George,

I don't know if the Neuance shelves can handle extremely heavy pieces,  but Ken told me that my shelf can handle up to 30lbs I believe.  It's not that big actually- it's a tabletop shelf that fits my Rega table.  You may want to decide what it would be applicable for- I don't want to start an isolation comparo to go along with the amp comparo, but if you specifically want to hear it, George, I'll bring it.  I just don't desire to take any time away from hearing your system as is, so if their is a deluge of requests to bring isolation gear to compare it to the Neuance, then I'd rather you just borrowed it from me for awhile.

Michael

Sa-dono

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2004, 04:40 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
George,

I don't know if the Neuance shelves can handle extremely heavy pieces,  but Ken told me that my shelf can handle up to 30lbs I believe.  It's not that big actually- it's a tabletop shelf that fits my Rega table.  You may want to decide what it would be applicable for...

"Weight Requirements:
Neuance is suitable for components weighing up to 60 pounds."

http://www.neuanceaudio.com/Documents/HowToOrder.html

mcrespo71

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2004, 06:23 pm »
^^According to Ken Lyon the creator of my particular shelf, it is good up to 30lbs.  Each Neuance shelf is cut to different sizes, so I imagine the larger ones are those that can handle 60 lbs.^^

RadioWonder

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2004, 11:18 pm »
Ken changes not only the length and width  but the "Thickness" of the shelf.
He tunes it to work with your component.
That is why he asks so many questions in his order form.
My Sony SCD-1 weighs 58lbs. The shelf is 1 7/8" thick. And 17.9"x17.9".

RadioWonder

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2004, 11:35 pm »
Has anyone tried DH Labs ceramic cones under there Neuance shelf?
Ken Lyon recommends them......
If so... What size cone did you pick?  And why?
And of course what sonic changes did they make?

http://www.dhcones.com/cones.html

PhilNYC

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2004, 12:04 am »
Quote from: RadioWonder
Has anyone tried DH Labs ceramic cones under there Neuance shelf?
Ken Lyon recommends them......
If so... What size cone did you pick?  And why?
And of course what sonic changes did they make?

http://www.dhcones.com/cones.html

FYI - these are DH Cones by Golden Sound, not DH Labs (DH Labs mostly makes cables).

I'm a dealer for Golden Sound, and I've got a bunch of their cones available for demo, so if mcrespo (or anyone else in the NYC area reading this thread with a Neuance shelf) wants to try it out, I'm more than happy to loan them out.

RadioWonder

« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2004, 01:41 am »
Sorry Phil....  All I did was quote what was on the Neuance web site...

PhilNYC

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2004, 02:44 am »
Quote from: RadioWonder
Sorry Phil....  All I did was quote what was on the Neuance web site...

No problem...even as a dealer, I sometimes have to do a double-take between DH Cones and DH Labs.  I guess someone should tell Ken...  :o

mcrespo71

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2004, 07:02 pm »
I just got another Neuance shelf that I was supposed to use under my transport/Dac, but tried it under my preamp and replaced a Bright Star Sand Box.  Talk about a huge difference!  Tito and Shahid were over at my place and can vouch for the differences, which were immediately apparent- more open sound, way better PRAT, extremely agile and easily discerned instrumental lines, though I may have lost some midrange spotlighting from the Bright Star.  Anyway, I now have to order another one for the transport/dac because I'm not removing this one from under the preamp.  Light and rigid is my choice for vibration control, as heavy mass seems to rob some of the life, flow, and drive out of the music.  I guess that's why I still love my super light and rigid TT!  BTW, the Bright Star has been relegated to under my subwoofer.

Michael

Emil

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2004, 07:55 pm »
Good for you, Mike!
If you like the sound now, it will only get better in time.
When I received and placed my Neuance shelves under my gear, I heard an immediate solidity in the bass but the midtange and treble became quit shrill. I didnt panic because Ken stated thet it would sound worse before it got better and it did :D

Prat on!
Emil

PS: Did Shaid ever visit Brian at Whetstone?