M3 Triode Master/ Class A 30wpc Solid State Questions

James Edward

If a good amp generally doubles it’s power when going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, the reverse is generally true too. So if the Triode Master speaker presents a 12 ohm load, am I going to lose a precious number of watts to the higher impedance? Or is there much more to it than my admittedly simple understanding?

I ask this because I am using a 30wpc Luxman integrated L-590AXII. It says it’ll drive a 2ohm load.

I guess my question is this: Are the upgraded parts in the Triode Master ONLY useful in a low powered amp situation that cannot drive a low impedance speaker? Or are the upgrades useful sonically even with a ‘beefier’
amp?

BTW, I do like my music on the louder side of reality. I am also not a static, sit down in the sweet spot type of listener. I frequently have the music turned up as I go about business in the house- cooking, paying bills, entertaining, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Spatial Audio

Re: M3 Triode Master/ Class A 30wpc Solid State Questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2018, 07:30 pm »
If a good amp generally doubles it’s power when going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, the reverse is generally true too. So if the Triode Master speaker presents a 12 ohm load, am I going to lose a precious number of watts to the higher impedance? Or is there much more to it than my admittedly simple understanding?

I ask this because I am using a 30wpc Luxman integrated L-590AXII. It says it’ll drive a 2ohm load.

I guess my question is this: Are the upgraded parts in the Triode Master ONLY useful in a low powered amp situation that cannot drive a low impedance speaker? Or are the upgrades useful sonically even with a ‘beefier’
amp?

BTW, I do like my music on the louder side of reality. I am also not a static, sit down in the sweet spot type of listener. I frequently have the music turned up as I go about business in the house- cooking, paying bills, entertaining, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hello James,

The most important thing is the impedance and phase characteristics as far as drivability is concerned with tube amps, which are sensitive to load reactance. The M3 is very efficient and easy to drive, so your Luxman at 30W is plenty and should work well.

Clayton Shaw
www.spatialaudio.us

James Edward

Re: M3 Triode Master/ Class A 30wpc Solid State Questions
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 08:33 pm »
Just so I’m clear on this- the Triode Master is not designed just to be better with tube amps, but is the top-line expression of the M3 platform, regardless of amp type? I’m sold on the M3 after hearing it at shows, I just want to be sure the TM is the right one for my solid state class A amp.
Thanks, I hope I’m expressing myself correctly.