HiRez organizing, storage, buying strategies

TomS

HiRez organizing, storage, buying strategies
« on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:52 am »
I'm just starting to buy a lot more DVD-A's for ripping and downloading more HiRez files so now I'm trying to figure out the best way to label and organize them into my SqueezeCenter'd world.  While my Bryston BDA-1 has no trouble auto switching the incoming sample rates, the Empirical Audio PaceCar2 requires a manual switch between the 44.1khz and 96khz clocks.  So, it's not quite so simple as to just hit play or worse yet, use random play/playlists from the SC library.  So far I have so few that noting the directory at the end with (24-96) suffix reminds me to do it.

Do you do anything special to organize and distinguish within a mix of 44, 88, 96, 176, 192 files, sometimes even the same content?

Also, I can go 96khz on my setup now, but assume I'll move up to 192khz at some point.   I was looking at the Linn catalog that offered one at 192 for $27, 96 at $24, etc. down the line.   Do you just buy the highest rate offered then use an SRC or convert down to whatever hardware you have now?  Or do you have to bite the bullet and buy a copy at each native rate?  Seems like if you bought the highest available now (192), they should let you download the lower ones as well without charge since you're paying for the content anyway (no physical media).

Tom

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: HiRez organizing, storage, buying strategies
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:59 am »
Tom,
I just label them with the (96K) or (192k) addendum at the end of the album name if I have their redbook counterpart also ripped.  I would buy the highest resolution possible (assuming same cost) and then, if you have a limitation with your system, let the server/player downsample...thereby future-proofing.  If the cost is significantly more for 192k then you need to decide; I usually buy the highest if it's only a few more (depending, of course, on the content....if the Beatles catalog were available I'd pay huge dollars for the diff  :)  ).

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2009, 12:17 pm »
So, SC will figure it out for the TP?  I've only used 96khz content so never tried it any higher.  Makes sense, so I guess I'll just buy 192's. 

For 176 and 88 I don't think my PaceCar2 will do them anyway, but what about the TP as I was thinking it was 44, 48, 96 only.  Does SC take care of that down to best rate in the TP?  Do you end up with 48khz/24 bit?

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2009, 01:48 pm »
Downloaded the Linn 192khz test track and 96 worked like a champ on the TP - thanks Ted!

Just out of curiosity I flipped the PaceCar to 44khz, the BDA-1 locked at 44.1 but the track played at half speed so the TP was thinking 96 was best, but the PC word clock to the TP was telling it 44.  Makes for some wacky playback fun.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2009, 01:52 pm »
Tom,
I just label them with the (96K) or (192k) addendum at the end of the album name if I have their redbook counterpart also ripped.  I would buy the highest resolution possible (assuming same cost) and then, if you have a limitation with your system, let the server/player downsample...thereby future-proofing.  If the cost is significantly more for 192k then you need to decide; I usually buy the highest if it's only a few more (depending, of course, on the content....if the Beatles catalog were available I'd pay huge dollars for the diff  :)  ).

I name pretty much the same way as Ted - adding 24/96 to the title.  This allows me to easily search and find all my 24/96 material.

Given there is so little material above 24/96 (heck, there is still way too little at 24/96), I am not yet willing to pay the big premiums to get 192 material.  The fact that my setup can't support above 24/96 also factors into my decision.

George

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2009, 02:39 pm »
Yeah, the Linn was only 3 bucks difference for 192 so why not.

What about 24/88khz 2-ch and 24/176khz such as Reference Recordings playing on the TP?  Does it just downsample it to 16/44.1?  Couldn't find samples on the Linn site to test for that on TP other than 5.1, so I'll hunt a bit more.  I assume my PaceCar2 at 16/44.1 would be fine with that but I don't believe it can do native 24/88 as it's configured right now (2 superclocks 44 and 96).

BTW, this is all in the interest of future proofing my content, not necessarily for best sound quality today.  Worst case I suppose I could batch re-sample the native hirez to the desired rate and save a duplicate set of files at the playable rate.  Then, when I have the right hardware available move back to native.  I just hate the idea of buying content more than once.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2009, 03:01 pm »
I don't know about the 88k and 176k stuff for the TP as I play my hirez on my 24/192k capable Weiss DAC2.  I will test it though (have my system torn apart right now reconfiguring new Sistrum, racks; might be later this weekend).  My recommendation, if you are MAC based, is to get the 15 day trial of Sample Manager or Wave Editor from Audio File Engineering and resample those examples to 96k.  I know that the integer multiplier is not clean but according to many (like engineer Barry Diament), the Isotope RX engine is so good in those products that it does a fine job....and yes, keep an original copy too.   :wink:

Edit:  Tom, here are some complimentary HRX 24/176.4 files
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Complimentary-241764-HRx-Downloads-Courtesy-Reference-Recordings

You ask, the HiRexZ Circle delivers!   :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2009, 03:21 pm »
Thanks Ted!

BTW, I really like the new Keith Jarrett Testament (London/Paris) at 24/96 if he's your cup of tea (definitely not so for some).  A lot of emotion as usual and very, very good sonics on most cuts.

After downloading a few HiRez albums now and doing a few DVD-A rips with the tools you guys suggested, I'm getting rather hooked now  :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2009, 04:27 pm »
After downloading a few HiRez albums now and doing a few DVD-A rips with the tools you guys suggested, I'm getting rather hooked now 

I'm with you, I'm getting addicted too. After hearing a bunch of hi-res stuff, I'm amazed at just how much info is missing from a standard 16/44 CD.

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:27 pm »
I downloaded the 2 RR samples from ComputerAudiophile as FLAC 176.4khz and removed the PaceCar2 from the loop.  The Minnesota Tchaikovsky cut plays fine, down-sampled to 88.2khz as shown by the BDA-1.  The Joel Fan cut says it is playing in my SC browser session, but doesn't start plaing at all on the TP.  SC says it is 176.4, the BDA-1 thinks it is seeing 88.2, which all seems fine. 
Go figure  :scratch: 

Then I tried to convert the FLAC to Wavepack with DBPowerAmp and it failed twice.  Argh...