Broke one of my own rules and its going to cost me....

SteevA

Re: Broke one of my own rules and its going to cost me....
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:28 am »
NZ

threadkiller

« Reply #41 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:06 pm »
Nice.  Must be very nice.  If you were in the States I would have sent you these to listen to.
I always say it's too bad we forum people can't get together and listen.
Then so many of these "ideas" could be quickly sorted, like how dumb it was to add a second ground wire, how unmusical the Sim is, differences between the WTL and other tables, why changing the vta for every record is joyless for most of us- and yes, that Firebaugh would think it's crazy.
As one of my favorite local dealers says, audiophiles left to their own are dangerous.

SteevA

« Reply #42 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:35 pm »
Indeed. If I thought I needed to change VTA all the time I doubt I would bother listening at all.

The moon has been getting better. Not sure how far it will get but it saved itself from being removed 3 days in to a 7 day trial.

threadkiller

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm »
I was also told years ago that anything that gets in the way of one playing records will really do so, and constant VTA adjustment would do just that for me.  Record clamps, big dustcovers, record rims, any of that, I stay clear of.  The VTA OP must be OCD or have lots of time on his hands.  Yet if he's playing music and enjoying it, then great for him.

/mp

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm »
As one of my favorite local dealers says, audiophiles left to their own are dangerous.

No doubt wisdom born from experience.

:)

/mp

threadkiller

« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:34 pm »
I'd say so !  Lol

ckimmelshue

« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:05 pm »
This is how I ended up leaping over all the other reasonably priced phono stages and straight to the Audio Research PH8 ...

SteevA

« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2012, 02:30 am »
Considering I was thinking of putting the Moon back in its box as I rode home on Thursday evening, I am sitting here now rather enjoying a bit of Ricky Lee Jones.

Perhaps this unit was not as run in as I thought it was going to be.

Definately prefer 470ohm load over 100 - cart just wants >30ohms.

Of course, I may also be getting used to it, so I suppose the telling moment will be when I fire up the p75 again.

Steve

Erocka2000

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2012, 07:00 pm »
Hey, I have a quick question about the Dynavector P-75 mk. III.  I read that it now has compatibility for cartridges that have an output of 1 mV.  What are the gain settings available on this new version?  I only ask because I've been thinking about replacing my Nova Phonomena, but need something that has a medium gain setting for my EMT. 

SteevA

« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:00 pm »
I don't recall that. I used it in enhanced mode which doesn't involve thinking about gain. Might need to look online for a downloadable manual.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:07 pm »
Without one in front of me, I do remember it has more jumpers in it than the mkll, allowing for more variety of settings.  Not sure if the manual is online yet or not.

threadkiller

« Reply #51 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:38 pm »

Hope this photo comes thru

threadkiller

« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:39 pm »
You'll see a setting for a medium output - 1mv cartridge

Erocka2000

« Reply #53 on: 18 Nov 2012, 11:57 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks, Thread.  I really think this might be my next phono stage.  I've always liked the sound of the Mk. II with the EMT.  Just thought it had a bit too much gain.  Now it seems that problem is solved.

Erocka2000

« Reply #54 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:33 am »
Do you know if you can still change the cartridge load with the 1mV gain setting being used?   I'd like to be able to load at 220 ohms.

threadkiller

« Reply #55 on: 19 Nov 2012, 04:22 am »
No, you can only change cartridge loading when it's in standard phono mode ( low output MC)

Erocka2000

« Reply #56 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:39 pm »
Hmm, does that mean that in the 1 mV setting the load is 47k?  I'm not sure the EMT will like that at all, considering the recommended loading for it is 200 - 300 ohms. 

SteevA

« Reply #57 on: 19 Nov 2012, 08:17 pm »
Right, the Moon has done its thing and sits on my desk waiting to be returned at lunch time.

Despite its earlier disappointing showing it improved a lot and to the point where I would have been comfortable living with it.  In some ways it was like experiencing a shortened version of the break-in time of the CDX2 in that it would be good, then go backwards a bit then improve again to a new higher level, and so on.  It did settle down to a more or less stable state towards the end; however I suspect it may still have been improving slightly.

In theory this unit was run in before I got it but I am now of the opinion that either it was not fully run in or that they regress if left powered off for a length of time.

This is not to say that it reached the levels of the Pure Audio device, either in detail or musicality, but it certainly did not disgrace itself – and it is only ¾ the price of the Pure Audio Vinyl.  Despite my earlier impressions, ultimately I did not gain the views of its long term performance that Threadkiller has.  In fact, I wouldn’t mind listening to it with its optional PSU. 

One area where it did beat the Pure Audio was its size as I was able to fit it in my rack in the same spot as the P75 without taking anything else out and could probably have fit the PSU in there as well.  The Superline is about the same size as the Moon.

I have also established that there is no Linn dealer here in Wellington but that the Uphorik is available in NZ, so have made an enquiry about a demo (no reply yet).

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #58 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:09 pm »
Good report, Steve.  Thanks.
Hope you get to hear a Uphorik. If you do, I'll tell you how to fine tune for your cartridge.
Btw, I paired a mklll with the Dynavector SUP and it was great.

SteevA

« Reply #59 on: 20 Nov 2012, 02:04 am »
Uphorik has sold out in NZ and new ones not due in till new year.

Testing may stop at Naim Superline.  On the other hand I still have a way to go before my toy money account is sufficiently replete to cope with any of the more expensive devices I am looking at.

Steve