2-ch stereo system ... Salk selection??

TJHUB

Re: 2-ch stereo system ... Salk selection??
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm »
Not a bad option to try at all, once I get a pre-amp :). Will ping you if/when I get there.

I guess the only missing piece is a sub switcher, and manual is not an option for the family.  Any other options for this?
What will happen if I conenct the line level out from AVR and speaker level out from pre-amp to the sub (SongSub) simultaneously, taking care to have only one running at a time? And what happens if both are left on by mistake (e.g. while switching)?

I've gone through a similar issue connecting a sub to both a 2-channel preamp and a receiver.  I gave up and now use a simple manual switcher.  I don't know if your idea would work or not, but I suspect that gain could be an issue.  I have seen IR remote controlled switchers, and my parents used to use an auto sensing switcher.  Maybe one of those could work for you?

sarge_in

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm »
I've gone through a similar issue connecting a sub to both a 2-channel preamp and a receiver.  I gave up and now use a simple manual switcher.  I don't know if your idea would work or not, but I suspect that gain could be an issue.  I have seen IR remote controlled switchers, and my parents used to use an auto sensing switcher.  Maybe one of those could work for you?

Either of those options may be workable, esp the IR controlled ones.  Do you have any links/brands/models you can share? Your point about gain is a good one - won't that be an issue with these as well?

TJHUB

« Reply #42 on: 2 Jul 2011, 12:09 am »
Either of those options may be workable, esp the IR controlled ones.  Do you have any links/brands/models you can share? Your point about gain is a good one - won't that be an issue with these as well?

I don't have any links for you, sorry.  I thought I saw one at Rat Shack when I picked up my manual switcher.

The gain may not be an issue either way because you can adjust the receiver's LFE output.  I run my receiver's LFE about 3-4db hot for movies; music is flat. 

sarge_in

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jul 2011, 12:19 am »
I don't have any links for you, sorry.  I thought I saw one at Rat Shack when I picked up my manual switcher.

The gain may not be an issue either way because you can adjust the receiver's LFE output.  I run my receiver's LFE about 3-4db hot for movies; music is flat. 

No worries, was it just a simple speaker selector, or something different? Have you seen options where one of the input can be a line-level input (for the AVR) and the other for speaker-level input (for the pre-amp)?

TJHUB

« Reply #44 on: 2 Jul 2011, 02:10 am »
No worries, was it just a simple speaker selector, or something different? Have you seen options where one of the input can be a line-level input (for the AVR) and the other for speaker-level input (for the pre-amp)?

No.  I didn't look too closely at it because it was something like $50.00.  I think it was a more standard A/V switch.  I've never heard of a speaker-level input on these things.

WntrMute2

« Reply #45 on: 2 Jul 2011, 03:21 pm »
I'm a pure two channel guy and really enjoy my HT2-TLs.  I run purely tube gear and listen to mostly blues, 60s rock and working into jazz.  I find few weaknesses in this speaker.  The bass is surprisingly deep for the relatively small drivers.  I've never even considered needing a sub woofer.  I can't imagine what others are needing in bass.  Really, there are times I can feel it in my chest due to the bass extension.  This is in a smallish room too.  About 12 X 14 feet.  mate these speaker to good tube gear and prepare to be mesmerized.  Possibly, the best feature of these speakers is the ability to completely disappear into the soundstage.  There is rarely, if ever, that one is aware of the actual speaker location.  Even on the most mundane recordings the speakers simply are not there!  Pics about half way down.
 first page.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=352739[/url   Oh, I forgot, I have some images in the picture gallery here too.

albireo13

« Reply #46 on: 2 Jul 2011, 03:55 pm »
Wow!  Nice looking gear.
How do you like the Latino amp?
I have Emotiva separates (all SS) but am intruiged by tubes.

albireo13

« Reply #47 on: 2 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm »
     Well, I has able to audition some SongTowers today.  Thanks go out to a most generous member here, et+kooper (thanks Bruce), for letting me interrupt his weekend.  Bruce showed me his impressive HT setup, with STs for the L/R mains.   I brought along my Studio-20s in order to compare them, in the same room and with the same electronics.

We first listened to the STs, in 2-ch mode.  Very impressive, with a lot of body to the sound. Then  we tried my Studios.
The Studios , to me, definitely sounded a bit too "trebley".  The treble seemed overly accentuated, fatiguing to listen to, IMO.
It's funny, I had liked my Studios at home but, had gradually recognized that the treble (high frequencies) bothered me.  It wasn't until I could A/B compare against the SongTowers that it jumped out at me.   Additionally, I felt the midrange of the STs was excellent, with good detailing.  :thumb:

In addition to the STs, I was able to listen to Bruce's very nice disc player, a Oppo something or other ... maybe 95??
I currently use an Emo ERC-1, which is nice but, the Oppo was excellent and can handle SACD, DVDs, and other formats.
Hmmm ......  :P

To summarize, I now am looking at a Salk upgrade and also an upgrade to my CDP.

Cheers,
Rob
 8)

albireo13

« Reply #48 on: 2 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm »
Oh another thing .....  we were playing 2ch with the SongTowers and then kicked in the Songcenter sometimes as well.
It really did a good job of filling in the sound and also, I felt, adding to the bass.
Maybe STs pus a Songcenter for audio, instead of adding a sub??!!

Just thinking ....

TJHUB

« Reply #49 on: 3 Jul 2011, 04:13 am »
Oh another thing .....  we were playing 2ch with the SongTowers and then kicked in the Songcenter sometimes as well.
It really did a good job of filling in the sound and also, I felt, adding to the bass.
Maybe STs pus a Songcenter for audio, instead of adding a sub??!!

Just thinking ....

It's great you got a chance to hear and appreciate Salk speakers.  I can personally tell you that their superiority over your Studio's will be more apparent over time.  Remember, you just heard them once.  Imagine how they sound as you get to listen to more and more material?  It only gets better!

A small sub would be FAR better for music reproduction that adding a center channel. 

Just saying... :wink:

WntrMute2

« Reply #50 on: 3 Jul 2011, 11:08 am »
Wow!  Nice looking gear.
How do you like the Latino amp?
I have Emotiva separates (all SS) but am intruiged by tubes.
Thanks for the compliment.  The Latino amp is a joy, on a number of levels.  Since I built it from a kit, I have pride in the work that I did.  The amp is smooth, well extended at both ends with beautiful midrange.  The sound is very warm and "burnished"  not overly so and compares nicely with my Transcendent SC-150s.  It drives my Salks easily and to very loud levels if needed.  Never runs out of steam, those that are using massive power amps are needing something I don't.  It was really fun to build with great instructions and Bob an e-mail away if I needed clarification.  Never waited more than a hour for a response, usually just a few minutes.  My only criticism of the kit was that there was no photo or schematic of the finished circuit board (would have helped a newbie like me), and he only includes one color wire for all the point to point stuff.  I suggested to him that maybe a couple of different colors would help.  You could buy other colors for a few bucks if desired.  Great value IMHO.  I want to build a set of his M-125 mono-blocks next.

albireo13

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jul 2011, 11:49 am »
Nice.  I had actually looked at his kits recently, thinking of a tube build project.
What did you do for tubes?  Did you play around with different tubes or just use the ones recommended?

BTW, there seem to be tube sockets on the fron face of the amp chassis.  What are those for?

WntrMute2

« Reply #52 on: 3 Jul 2011, 01:18 pm »
Bob sells his ST-120 kit complete with tubes.  Sovtek KT-88s, and EI/Phillips 12AT7s if I remember correctly.  I have rolled in a set of NOS Mullards into the driver and phase splitter location at Bob's suggestion.  I'm thinking about a matched quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT-88 reissues but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm just happy with the way things sound now.  BTW, his amps allow swithcing between Triode and Pentode at the flip of a switch on the fly!  Take a step into tubes, you won't look back.  I slowly started by replacing a SS pre-amp with a Dynaco PAS-3 and while not as dead quiet when not listening to music, the magic was evident.  With my set-up now, dead quiet and tube magic, what could be better!  Oh, the tube sockets, this is supposed to be a replica of the Dynaco amp, the tube sockets were there as a stock feature but I can't remember what for.   They are wired for bias setting and work fine for that, simple-dimple

albireo13

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:39 pm »
Well, after reviewing this and talking with Jim,  I like a HT1-TL as a stretch goal.   
I may have to wait until we down-size (sell house), within 4 years, to afford it.
The Songtowers are great as well.  I could afford that now, but I'd have to sell off various hobby gear to free up the cash to do so.  Doable but, it would take some time and be a tad painful.

Another thought ....  the Songbirds!    I've heard they have great midrange and imaging.  Weaker in the low end for sure but .... if they are an improvement over my Studio20s, it would be a great way to get into some Salk sound!!!
I could run with Songbirds, maybe add a sub.

Would that be more like a lateral move from my Studios, or a step up?
 :?
Rob