Jazz bassist Charlie Haden dies at 76

jhm731

Jazz bassist Charlie Haden dies at 76
« on: 12 Jul 2014, 12:43 am »

Charlie Haden, a bassist whose music drew from many streams of American music, died Friday morning in Los Angeles, Calif. He was 76.

Haden's record label, ECM, released the following statement Friday afternoon:

It is with deep sorrow that we announce that Charlie Haden, born August 6, 1937 in Shenandoah, Iowa, passed away today at 10:11 Pacific time in Los Angeles after a prolonged illness. Ruth Cameron, his wife of 30 years, and his children Josh Haden, Tanya Haden, Rachel Haden and Petra Haden were all by his side.

Haden began his career early, having been born into a musical family that had its own radio show and often played the Ozark Jubilee, a country-music broadcast out of Missouri that featured the likes of the Carter Family, Chet Atkins and Porter Wagoner. He made his on-air debut at the age of 2. Even as Haden, who began playing bass in his teens, journeying into jazz, latin music and other styles, his playing often remained rooted in those foundational melodic experiences.

Haden moved to Los Angeles in 1957 and fell in with the West Coast jazz crowd, performing and recording with Hampton Hawes, Pau Bley, Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper and Dexter Gordon. He became an original member of The Ornette Coleman Quartet, appearing on the saxophonist's seminal 1959 album The Shape of Jazz to Come.

During a career that spanned more than half a century, Haden also collaborated with Kenny Barron, Carla Bley, Paul Bley, Michael Brecker, Alan Broadbent, Don Cherry, Alice Coltrane, John Coltrane, Jack DeJohnette, Keith Jarrett, Brad Mehldau, Paul Motian, Dewey Redman, Archie Shepp, and Ernie Watts.

Haden won three Grammy Awards, the first for his 1997 album with guitarist Pat Metheny, Beyond the Missouri Sky. He won best latin-jazz album for his two recordings with pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba, 2001's Nocturne 2004's Land of the Sun. Haden also was the recipient of a lifetime achivement Grammy in 2013.

In 2008, he recorded an album called Rambling Boy that paid tribute to his roots in country and folk music. Recorded at Ricky Skaggs' studio in Hendersonville, Tenn., it featured many Nashville musicians, as well as Pat Metheny, Bruce Hornsby, and his four children, all of whom had followed musical paths of their own.

Haden released his final album, a set of duets with pianist Keith Jarrett called Last Dance, in June on ECM.

The family plans to hold a private funeral, though details of a public memorial service will be announced later.

dB Cooper

Re: Jazz bassist Charlie Haden dies at 76
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2014, 01:48 am »
RIP to a great.

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2014, 03:13 am »
Thank you for all the great music---

PSB Guy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2014, 01:50 pm »
Jasmine and Last Dance were the last two albums I purchased. Going to spin them both today. RIP.

Cornelis

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2014, 03:34 pm »
An amazingly wide ranging musical great. RIP

Phil

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2014, 06:16 pm »
Haden won three Grammy Awards, the first for his 1997 album with guitarist Pat Metheny, Beyond the Missouri Sky. He won best latin-jazz album for his two recordings with pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba, 2001's Nocturne 2004's Land of the Sun.

RIP.  These albums are among my favorites.  He worked across so many styles and with so many different personalities.  Must say something about the man as well as the musician.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2014, 07:28 pm »
Oh my! What a loss. I only recently (the last few years) started to appreciate his playing and contributions. I love his Naim label collaboration with Antonio Forcione (Heartplay) and that got me going on dozens of his projects.

Charlie we will truly miss you.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2014, 07:30 pm »
I love his playing and writing and have a bunch of albums with him and the aforementioned players to include a duo set with Hampton Hawes that is a personal favorite.  Along with Richard Davis, Haden's playing is profound, powerful and provocative to me. 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2014, 08:10 pm »
This is indeed sad. Need to spin up Jasmine today.

Chazro

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2014, 08:55 pm »
RIP.  Listening to Quartet West - Now Is The Hour - to be followed by his Liberation Music Orchestra - The Ballad Of The fallen.  How prophetically beautiful the title to his last record is - Last Dance - w/Keith Jarrett.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2014, 01:01 am »
my wife just heard of his passing on the radio and wanted to listen to Steal Away (with the incomparable Hank Jones).

Beautiful.

CSI

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2014, 01:47 am »
There are many talented jazz musicians but among them very few have anything new to say on their instruments. For a variety of reasons, this seems to be especially true of the upright bass. Charlie Haden was an outstanding exception. His style, often spare, always deeply musical, was easy to recognize. A consummate musician, Charlie Haden always knew what notes to play and, just as important, knew which ones not to play. He always let the music, his music, breath and talk to us. He will be sorely missed.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2014, 02:26 am »
Very sad to hear...  Music flowed out of Charlie Haden like water out of a fountain.
RIP

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2014, 03:38 am »
  Music flowed out of Charlie Haden like water out of a fountain.

Well said.

jhm731

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2014, 07:38 am »
Impulse! Records will release a previously unissued duo recording featuring guitarist Jim Hall and bassist Charlie Haden on Sept. 30. Simply titled Charlie Haden-Jim Hall, the recording was made July 2, 1990 atthe Montreal International Jazz Festival. Ethan Iverson of The Bad Pluscontributes liner notes.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2014, 10:47 am »
Sorry to know it.
RIP

figcon

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:08 am »
RIP Charlie.....Joe Sample too. Both great jazz artists.

figcon

« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:10 am »
Message was repeated, so RIP once again to both of them.

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:36 am »
I remember listening to his first Quartet West album back in late 80s. Lots of good memories made to that soundtrack.

Zeko

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2014, 02:20 am »
One of the great, for sure