Piano and ICEBlock

panomaniac

Re: Piano and ICEBlock - Available and 15% off to try
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2009, 06:56 pm »
Yes, and the Ice deserves a great volume control.  I did mod your Ice a bit.  The bigger modules are different.

panomaniac

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:11 pm »
Before this pretty young gal goes off to Palm Beach for a glamor shoot, I thought you'd like to get a quick look.

Just my amateur shots, but here she is.

panomaniac

« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:11 pm »
The inner workings:

doorman

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:15 pm »
Pls. excuse if this has been answered elsewhere.
I bought an original V-1. Does the trade - in policy still apply re: the new models?
Thanks, Don

dvenardos

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2009, 07:22 pm »
You keep telling her that Seth and let us know how it works out for you.  :lol:

How many girlz got metal-work named after them?

srb

« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:08 pm »
They've got to like that a lot better than naming a hurricane after them.

Steve

buzzy

« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2009, 01:29 am »
Having owned an IcePower amp based on these modules and read almost everything about them ....

- They sound great.

- Far more people seem to like them right away - as in, the minute they hook them up - than need time to get used to them.  Maybe if you're coming from tube amps, but otherwise not.

- The vast majority of designers / engineers don't think the modifications (used by a couple of other makers) add to the audio quality, so don't let those distract you.   

SRB,  I'm not don't want to hijack this thread to laud another product. I'm not sufficiently versed in the esoteria of ICE module modification to answer your questions, nor do I know what the fertile mind of M. Mardis has come up with. I do know, from direct before and after experience that the ICE module needs some "help" to sound its best. You cited Cullens/Wyred, with which I am familiar, and I know from first-hand that they do a great deal to make this module sing and show its potential.

panomaniac

« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:14 am »
Thanks Buzzy.  That's nice to know.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:53 am »
I can't speak to the Wyred input mods and don't know fully appreciate their benefits (possibly significant and we certainly welcome specific comments)... and I've heard of several efforts redo and improve the power supply - which voids the warranty.  Nevertheless, our experience has been that OTB they have the most dynamic power supplies available.  In fact, I asked B&O if they'd sell me their units "as power supplies only" for use with the Tripath amps... and they refused.  It's also my understanding that these ASP modules were built originally for professional/PA use and they are meant to be played loud all day long.  At any volume, the umph is apparent.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2009, 06:21 am by virtue »

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2009, 02:37 pm »
Bump. Last day for the discount ;)

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #30 on: 30 Oct 2009, 03:23 pm »
Hey Guys,
John pointed out that the discount code wasn't going through - now it is.  The goods finally did arrive in port but because of the additional week delay in shipping, I will extend the discount another week until 11/8.  To those who have ordered already, thank you for your good will and good faith.
Sincerely,
Seth
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2009, 03:55 pm by virtue »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #31 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:54 pm »
FYI the shippers started unloading the boxes from our container, in New Jersey today.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:17 am »
FYI, we're starting to ship units tomorrow.

markm1111

Supplier issues
« Reply #33 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:21 am »
Seth

I have been in email contact with both yourself and John at Coem. I think others may also be interested in my question - what are the input impedances for the Iceblock amps?

I understand most other specs such as power etc will be as per other unmodified B&O ASP500 based amps, but there is some tweaking in the input department. Apart from allowing balanced and unbalanced input and daisy chaining, what else have you done on the input modules?

Thanks

JohnR

Supplier issues
« Reply #34 on: 27 Nov 2009, 02:39 pm »
Hey John,
There are some electrolytics in there that need a bunch of time to break in...  Leave her on for a while if possible on "repeat."

Yep - will do.

FYI, we just sent a bunch of Pianos and ICEBlocks out to John @ COEM in Australia.  Air freight is mu$$der!  Next time we'll make these things with rice-paper enclosures so they ship cheaper ;-)

Hey, you can't do everything! Good to know there's local rep.

JohnR

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Supplier issues
« Reply #35 on: 7 Dec 2009, 12:31 am »
Hey Mark -

Sorry for the late reply on the input impedance of the ICE amps.  I think they're "standard" for the module and most amps which use it - 10k.   Our little Virtue amps are around 20k.

Here's a thread that talks more about input impedance and discusses more fully whether it matters.  Obviously, Wyred4Sound is positioning their 60k input impedence as a key differentiator in what is actually a commodity product.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78422

If our units don't work for you because the input impedance is too low, you can return them and I'll waive the custom build restock fee ($50).  Tens of thousands of these amps were old by other vendors with the "standard" input impedance.

Very best,

Seth

PS - Still, I'm going to swallow my pride and set the list price at $1,649.00/pair until these get some more traction in the market.  If you live in Denmark or Australia, I insist that you buy through my dealers there who have these in stock.  Shipping these overseas is not very economical anyway (sorry).
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2009, 12:06 am by virtue »