This is a good camera?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: This is a good camera?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:07 pm »
I think the Sony HX60v would also work well for you. I did have an earlier version of this camera and took a lot of good shots with it. I think the HX60v is in the price range you are looking at:

http://www.aliax.com.br/sony-hx60-20-4-mp-memoria-16gb-classe-10-bolsa-pr-11151-328028.htm
Unfortunately no, its too expensive, its price are higher than D300 and D400 and similar to the pro Nikon D3200 w/18-55 lens.
My price point are 800 reais for a great camera.

This is R1.500, but what about this Nikon D3200 w/the VR18-55 lens?
It have a closeup mode.
http://www.aliax.com.br/nikon-d3200-24-2-mp-lente-vr-18-55-memoria-16gb-bolsa-pr-2077-328028.htm
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2014, 03:28 pm by FullRangeMan »

newzooreview

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm »
Unfortunately no, its too expensive, its price are higher than D300 and D400 and similar to the pro Nikon D3200 w/18-55 lens.
My price point are 800 reais for a great camera.

This is R1.500, but what about this Nikon D3200 w/the VR18-55 lens?
It have a closeup mode.
http://www.aliax.com.br/nikon-d3200-24-2-mp-lente-vr-18-55-memoria-16gb-bolsa-pr-2077-328028.htm

If the D3200 is in your price range with that lens then it should be a great camera for you.

That 18-55 lens focuses closely enough for photos of tubes and flowers; it should work well. There's a nice write up on the lens here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm

For close up photos use the picture of the flower on the top dial on the D3200. Usually the closest focus is when the lens is closer to the 18 end of its zoom but you can experiment.

For landscape shots you can use the picture of the mountain on the top dial. And as you learn a little bit about photography you can use the other setting (such as A, for setting the aperture and letting the camera adjust the other settings).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:54 am »
Thanks again Newzooreview for your help.
This Nik fits my needs, too bad the price is not low.
I will think a while on this camera.
Regards

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm »
At this site there is a nice review where they mention the D3200 sole prob is the automatic white balance are too cold.
http://www.tecmundo.com.br/analise/35596-analise-camera-dslr-nikon-d3200-video-.htm
The Nikon D3200 is a camera of entry level that has characteristics comparable with the best professional DSLR of market. It has one of the highest values ​​of megapixels full-line brand, shoots in 1080p (Full HD) and has a sensor and a better processor than its predecessor.

Entry level DSLR cameras are , as its name suggests, equipment designed for novice photographers. They have all the features of professional single lens reflex, but with simplified physical functions and parts, which results in a much lower final cost. The D3200 is Nikon's attempt to compete even with his more advanced lines, but some points still needed to be improved.

With the arrival of mirrorless cameras - devices with interchangeable lenses, but without the existing system of mirrors on Entry level DSLR - it's difficult to understand the reasons to buy a bigger and heavier camera like the D3200, and it brings this machine a great responsibility in addition to a fundamental question: DSLR are still important?

Approved: Body and design
If you already own a camera from Nikon or had contact with, know that their construction varies very little from model to model. This is one of the great advantages of professional equipment: the buttons and controls are almost always in the same places to which you are accustomed.

The weight of the D3200 varies somewhat similar to other Nikon cameras: approximately 455 grams of body without a lens or other accessories attached. One must take into account that are naturally heavy Entry level DSLR equipment and that this value is even lower than that of other brand cameras .

Like all Nikon equipment, the construction of this camera is excellent, with a solid and moving parts and fitted body. The support is firm and allows you to hold with one hand; if that does not suffice, you can use an external grip docked at the bottom (sold separately).

And megapixel sensor:
When talking about picture quality, not always the amount of megapixels is a decisive factor in the end result. With a sensor as the D3200, however, one can say that the 24.2 MP make enough difference. Your CMOS 23.2 mm x 15.4 mm, associated with EXPEED 3 processor, gives an account of megapixels captured and able to deliver quality photos and size copies without you having to wait long.

The biggest advantage of the amount of megapixels is that if you do not intend to buy a new lens to "zoom in" (greater focal range), you can use the crop in images made with the highest resolution possible to simulate it. In D3100, it was possible to get photos up to 4608 x 3072 pixels, while the D3200 delivers a maximum 6016 x 4000 px.

Who usually shoot in low light knows how important is the ISO. Although leaving blurred and noisy picture when its value is increased, often this is the only way to get a steady shot in a dimly-lit environment. The D3200 had a significant improvement in this direction, and you can configure this value between 100 and 6400, while the D3100 only allowed 100-3200.

If you need more sensitivity, you can use the Hi-1, which is the equivalent of ISO 12,800, but prepare to large losses in picture quality adjustment. To understand how this value has evolved considerably in the cameras , just remember the D60, which had a variation 100-1600 and Hi-1 of 3200.

Furthermore, the image quality with high ISO significantly improved since D60. See the above image a comparison between it and the D3200, both with the ISO set to 800 on the images above and the 1600 low. It can be seen that the amount of noise is lower in the right images, and they contained more clearly.

Video recording:
In the eternal war between Canon and Nikon, it's no secret that Canon is making when it comes to video: the best cameras for this are still those of the competitor, but the Nikon is chasing losses and this clearly shows in D3200 .

The ability to record video in Full HD (1080p) is something new for a camera of the brand and, despite coming a bit late - the Canon T2i it could be some years before it launched - it is a very welcome addition .

Aspiring filmmakers will find this camera a cheaper alternative for recording short (or even long) with the necessary quality and resolution. The framerate options are very similar to those of the 60D, the Canon: 30, 25 or 24 frames per second for 1080p video and 60 or 50 frames for shooting 720p.

The automatic exposure settings during recording are excellent (see the example in the video that illustrates this analysis); you can move the camera between environments with different lighting and get a quick and smart, perfect fit for long or short takes with just one plan.

Besides the quality of the video, another detail helps: it has a 3.5mm input for an external microphone, an alternative for those who want to record videos without using the built-in microphone, something highly recommended if you want to use the original audio in your film.

Fail: White balance
There is no well explained reason, but the auto white balance the camera is at least tolerable. Even in well-lit environments and neutral hues, the automatic adjustment pulls the colors of photography to the cool tones far more than it should. If you like "yellowish" photos, be prepared to have to manually adjust these settings for each environment you are shooting.

The auto white balance could be better on the D3200 (Image Source: Ana Nemes / Tecmundo)

The auto white balance (or at least a preset) is a configuration that many photographers prefer, since it usually works well and is something that can easily be corrected later. However, the D3200 is better to leave laziness aside and beat the white balance manually when needed.

Display real-time:
The new Entry level DSLR have a new over the old, many novice photographers can enjoy, but that is not the best alternative: a real-time visualization. The problem that exists is the same as with the compact, ie, what you see is not necessarily what the lens is "seeing", since this is a processed image and it depends on the quality of the camera's viewfinder.

For video recording, the display mode is really essential, but whenever possible shoot using the traditional way. This prevents external lighting, for example, influence on your choice of manual adjustments (always use the photometer to measure the photo).
menus

Many useful features are found only on screen menu (Image Source: Ana Nemes / Tecmundo)

The setup menus of the Nikon cameras are a bit more confusing than the Canon and this is no different in the D3200. Both physical buttons as the adjustments made ​​on the screen could be more practical, but, especially if you need to change a specific configuration, you may need to navigate through multiple menu layers.

For example, you can set the aperture and exposure time using the external buttons and the ring. However, many important settings such as exposure compensation and the focus system, are within the menu, only on the screen, and you need to "stop shooting" to adjust them. D-lighting then you already had an external button on cameras like the D60, today is hidden by various layers of the camera menu.

More specific functions are hidden in a well impractical menu (Image Source: Ana Nemes / Tecmundo)

Worth it?:
The Nikon D3200 is an amazing machine, despite the problems, and it pays to be gained if you are sure that what you want is a prosumer Entry level DSLR. The problem with this camera is that there are now many cheaper options and almost as good as the single lens reflex, such as mirrorless offering manual controls, good final quality and lower body.

The feeling one gets is that the D3200 should have emerged a few years earlier to fight with good Entry level DSLR cameras like the Canon T2i, and not with the new compact Hi-End, as the mirrorless NEX line from Sony. Your strengths are important and she has no problem really great, but this may not be enough if you want a more versatile camera to take anywhere.

Who prefers the undisputed quality of the Nikon Entry level DSLR, or who want to start to use equipment such then migrate to more advanced lines, the D3200 is one of the best options available in the market. This is justified because it comes with a competitive price and some features found in the best cameras of the brand, as the high variation of the ISO, the amount of megapixels and video recording at 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXQzxSbOpY0

newzooreview

« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2014, 07:27 pm »
That review comment about "automatic white balance too cold" sounds both subjective and the kind of things reviewers say because they are looking for something to say.

Photos taken with the D3200 can be found on flickr: https://secure.flickr.com/search/?q=D3200

In fact you can search flickr for photos taken by any camera model. In reality, a lot of modern digital cameras can produce very nice results under most circumstances.

If you wan to drive yourself nuts you can start reading through the comprehensive reviews and comparisons on dpreview.com: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200/21

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:08 pm »
A cold white tendency is not a defect to me, I prefer this way.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:21 pm »
That review comment about "automatic white balance too cold" sounds both subjective

lot of modern digital cameras can produce very nice results under most circumstances.

Of course it's subjective, but that doesn't make it invalid.  Since I've started with a D70 over a decade ago  I've felt the white balance on Auto and sunlight both lean well toward the cool.  I shoot probably 90% in cloudy, and much prefer it for people, sports, wildlife and many other images.  FWIW, I don't read camera reviews so I didn't "learn" that there.

A cell phone "can produce very nice results under most circumstances."  I think most of us want something better than "can" if we are to use our audio demands as any type of yardstick.  One could even extend the cool/warm comparison to CDs and LPs. Some prefer one, others don't.  So what?

I can easily see why FRM's tastes run toward the cool side.

SET Man

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2014, 08:09 pm »
Hey!

Well, as for the "AWB" function, this never really a problem for me since I always correct later using my eyes. I can see this is more important for those who like to leave the camera on "Auto" and let the camera do that.

As for Nikon's AWB being on cool side. This I find true, especially from their older DSLRs not by much to my eyes. But newer one seems pretty and not by much to my eyes. And if you really want to get into it this also have to do with how their lenses render overall color also.

I would say the opposite of that would be Canon's color signature of which I've never find appealing to me, too much reddish tone and too soft overall even with their "L" lenses.

So, between the two if I have to choose I would have to go with Nikon's tone. By they way I'm a Sony user... formally Minolta user.... so I'm a minority here, what do I know right?  :icon_lol:

As for myself I usually have my camera on "Manual" and once in a blue moon I would use "Aperture" or "Shutter" priority mode. I shoot RAW and usually set the WB at 5000K on the camera and do color correction later in post processing. The key here is shoot RAW so you'll have all the data to use later instead of letting the camera screw it up while converting the photo in camera to JPEG.

Anyway, FullRangeMan, if the D3200 is within your budget and not too big for you than go for it and save money for better lens or should I say lenses... be careful don't let the photo bug bite :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2014, 08:43 pm »
Ordered the D3200. Thanks boys for the nice help I appreciated.

chip

« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2014, 09:31 pm »
Ordered the D3200. Thanks boys for the nice help I appreciated.

This looks like a good deal:
BuyDig offers the Nikon D3200 24.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera bundled with a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, model no. 25492, Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens, model no. 2166, 2.5x Telephoto and 0.45X Super Wide Angle HD Lens Kit, Nikon Deluxe Gadget Bag, 16GB SD Card, and accessories for $566.95 with free shipping. That's $78 below our June mention of a similar bundle and $14 under the lowest total price we could find for just the camera, bag, and lenses elsewhere. The camera features a 3" LCD, 1080p video recording with sound, 4 fps shooting, and HDMI.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E1NKD32002LGKT2&omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_placement=552179

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2014, 09:53 pm »
Great offer especially w/the 55-200 tele, mine are not so good.