Amp vs Mono's

DARTH AUDIO

Amp vs Mono's
« on: 9 May 2010, 06:01 pm »
Tommy, I'm looking at the Cherry Jr amps. What are the sonic improvements if I go with 2 Cherry Jr's as opposed to a single amp? I know the power jumps from 360wpc to 1000wpc!!

Thanks for the help,

Gary

Big Red Machine

Re: Amp vs Mono's
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2010, 06:50 pm »
Tommy, I'm looking at the Cherry Jr amps. What are the sonic improvements if I go with 2 Cherry Jr's as opposed to a single amp? I know the power jumps from 360wpc to 1000wpc!!

Thanks for the help,

Gary

Someday I'll have mono Cherry's (for the outrageous overkill of it all) but it is really hard to believe much is going to improve as these things are so smooth and so revealing of all things embedded in the recording in plain old stereo mode.

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2010, 09:09 pm »
Darth,
I think your VR33's are bi-wired, no?

In this case I'd think about vertically biamping with a pair of Cherry amps.

I'd love to see a pair wired so that only as single XLR cable is used from preamp to amp. yet internally the amp splits this to both the L and R channels. This way preamps with only one pr of XLR outs can be used, and it frees up the cable budjet by eliminating one pair from a biamped set-up  :thumb:

Funny that you guys are talking about Cherry amps and monos, 'cause, well, Tommy just might...no, I can't say...he'd kill me...nope, I'm not going to say a thing... :shh:

-Mike

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2010, 10:59 am »
Darth,
I think your VR33's are bi-wired, no?

In this case I'd think about vertically biamping with a pair of Cherry amps.

I'd love to see a pair wired so that only as single XLR cable is used from preamp to amp. yet internally the amp splits this to both the L and R channels. This way preamps with only one pr of XLR outs can be used, and it frees up the cable budjet by eliminating one pair from a biamped set-up  :thumb:

Funny that you guys are talking about Cherry amps and monos, 'cause, well, Tommy just might...no, I can't say...he'd kill me...nope, I'm not going to say a thing... :shh:

-Mike
Hey Mike, Come on,  spill the beans??

Tommy, are you coming out with Cherry Monoblocks? I'm going to give the Cherry Jr a try in my system, but if you are coming out with monos maybe I should wait? Please chime in here.

BTW, What's the turnaround once an amp is ordered??

Gary

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2010, 02:31 pm »
Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a Cherry Jr. :dance: We will see how it sounds in my system. How much time should I allow for break-in?? 200 hours?

Gary

jzexport

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2010, 04:34 pm »
Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a Cherry Jr. :dance: We will see how it sounds in my system. How much time should I allow for break-in?? 200 hours?

Gary

The Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz believed in ghosts, but I do not believe in break-in. So, I guess I get to start another "yes there is" "no there is not" break-in exchange.

Kidding aside, and it may be entirely due to my lack of belief, I found no break-in period for the Cherry Plus. I don't even notice a change during the warm up stabilization period when I turn it on from standby, which may be the only thing that matters.

I hope it works out well for you! Let us know.

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2010, 06:13 pm »
Gary,

Man, I'm so happy you pulled the trigger after my verbal diarrhea about the slight possibility of maybe just perhaps someday in the future monos!

(Tommy would have had every right to be ticked, esp if I cost him a sale!)

Regardless, please do tell us your experiences!

Are you able to run balanced from the pre?

I'm not big into equipment break-in and the Cherries I've heard have probably all had some hrs on them before they were in my system. I agree w/ jzexport - the amps don't change much if at all from the instant you switch 'em on.

Best of luck!  (my VR-33 dreams might have to be put on hold for a while - real life is taking real $$ - don't it suck when that happens?  :lol:)

-Mike

watercourse

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2010, 06:19 pm »
I also did not notice that much of a difference after a day of break-in, nor do I notice much of a difference with warmup. All good all the time. And I do believe in break-in as I have heard differences.

PS I also switched out the internal connector cables after a couple of months with a faulty XLR connector, and also did not notice that much change after a couple of hours of break-in.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2010, 06:44 pm »
Gary,

Man, I'm so happy you pulled the trigger after my verbal diarrhea about the slight possibility of maybe just perhaps someday in the future monos!

(Tommy would have had every right to be ticked, esp if I cost him a sale!)

Regardless, please do tell us your experiences!

Are you able to run balanced from the pre?

I'm not big into equipment break-in and the Cherries I've heard have probably all had some hrs on them before they were in my system. I agree w/ jzexport - the amps don't change much if at all from the instant you switch 'em on.

Best of luck!  (my VR-33 dreams might have to be put on hold for a while - real life is taking real $$ - don't it suck when that happens?  :lol:)

-Mike
Hey Mike, I'll keep ya posted to my findings. I really hope this amp works out!! My preamp is not balanced? I hope this doen't cause a problem with the sound? It's good to know there isn't much if any of a break in period. I will be jamming all weekend!!
Sorry to hear you have to delay the VR-33's!! Bummer!!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2010, 03:39 am »
Hey Mike, Come on,  spill the beans??

Tommy, are you coming out with Cherry Monoblocks? I'm going to give the Cherry Jr a try in my system, but if you are coming out with monos maybe I should wait? Please chime in here.

BTW, What's the turnaround once an amp is ordered??

Gary
Gary,
We are talking about monoblocks, but even if that's the next product out from us, it probably won't be for another several months.  I need to get Mike a mouth clamp!  Thanks.

-Tommy