NFL 2023/24

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: NFL 2023/24
« Reply #360 on: 12 Feb 2024, 06:37 pm »
way too many commercials disrupted the flow of the game in the first half. It seemed to affect the Chiefs more than the 9ers but it was hard to keep watching . I avoided Usher and watched a re-run family feud..lol. The 2nd half had less commercials but most importantly they allowed the game to be played with very few interruptions. Finally I felt like I was watching a football game and not some advertising spectacle. The blocked PAT came back to haunt the 9ers as the Chiefs kicked a FG to force OT. Under pressure ,Mahomes was at his best. The drive to tie and then the TD as the first OT was closing out was as great as any past QB has ever done. Tom Brady included. I've been a Chiefs fan since my boyhood days going back to the 60's when there was two leagues.I suffered the first ever SB defeat and then went on to celebrate their win in 1970. It was 50 long years b4 they won again..and now..wow..and that ot win yesterday..WOW. I don't know how long this will last but you know I am enjoying the moment.

There aren't more planned game stops for the Super Bowl than a regular game - commercials didn't impact the game flow (1st or 2nd half).

What is different at the Super Bowl compared to all other games is that halftime is roughly twice as long as normal ~13 mins vs. 30 mins) to allow for the halftime show.

George

jonbee

« Reply #361 on: 12 Feb 2024, 06:48 pm »
I also avoided the halftime show based on past experience.
The last 3 periods on the field were worth the hype, imo. I wasn't a 100% Mahomes fan until this win. I think his mastery of the field reminds me of Joe Montana, another true money player w/o smoke and mirrors. KC beat a couple of very good teams to get the trophy this year.

gene9p

« Reply #362 on: 12 Feb 2024, 11:10 pm »
no more planned stoppages however the commercial timeout was so much longer and that DID effect the flow of the game. Sorry bud...

AllanS

« Reply #363 on: 13 Feb 2024, 01:28 am »
A couple of key plays.  Both teams made mistakes that neither really took advantage of but overall a great game.
There is no solace in losing but as a Niners fan I have to be satisfied that the Chiefs beat them.  They didn’t beat themselves.  They played a lot better than the playoffs and Purdy was remarkably poised.
There’s no arguing that Mahomes and the rest of the cast and crew make a great team.  And they’re a team and city that ya gotta love.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #364 on: 13 Feb 2024, 02:11 am »
For most of the game it did look like the 49ers were going to win.
They had a really good game plan for keeping Mahones in check up until the end.
All I can say is the Chiefs are lucky they weren't facing the New York Football Giants, they woulda been toast!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #365 on: 13 Feb 2024, 11:11 am »
All I can say is the Chiefs are lucky they weren't facing the New York Football Giants, they woulda been toast!

Or the St Ignatius girls junior varsity team, about the same level as the NY squad. 🤣

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #366 on: 28 Feb 2024, 12:59 pm »
Watching PFT Live yesterday with Andy Reid as the guest brought up his take on Taylor Swift affecting the team positively or negatively.  He said she is a nice person who likes to cook, so she made homemade pot pies for all the offensive lineman.  It was all over at that point, the team was 100% behind her from that moment on.  Today the hosts Mike Florio and Chris Sims brought that interview up as the blockbuster moment of the day's guests.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #367 on: 11 Mar 2024, 11:36 am »
Russell Wilson going to Pittsburgh in a deal very similar to highway robbery.  They get Wilson for the league minimum.  I can't remember a better deal for a team in NFL history.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #368 on: 12 Mar 2024, 04:35 pm »
Eagles got a boost with Saquon Barkley.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #369 on: 13 Mar 2024, 09:48 am »

Tiki Barber said Giants fans are livid that he signed with the Eagles.  He was waiting for fans to start burning jerseys.  PFT Live hosts couldn't understand that as the Giants obviously had no interest in signing him.  They've screwed him over for years with franchise tags and one year deals, never committing to a long term deal, so why should he be loyal to the laundry.  Barkley hasn't responded.

rbbert

« Reply #370 on: 13 Mar 2024, 02:49 pm »

How about Derrick Henry and the Ravens!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #371 on: 13 Mar 2024, 04:57 pm »
I hate to break the news to Tiki Barber but I don't know anyone who's livid over the deal.
Go for the money while you can, there's no telling how long your career will last.

Emil

« Reply #372 on: 16 Mar 2024, 10:27 pm »

Nice to see Saquan finally have a good offensive line in front of him.
Didn't have one at Penn State and didn't have one with the Giants that's for sure.

rodge827

« Reply #373 on: 16 Mar 2024, 10:46 pm »

Jason Kelce is regretting his retirement and was talking about maybe coming back. Sadly he’s not going to.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #374 on: 19 Mar 2024, 09:30 am »
Wow, the Steelers set the league on it's ear with their moves.  Russell Wilson and Justin Fields are the new QB room with Pickett traded to Philly.  Then they get Patrick Queen from a division rival.  Wonder what they'll do in the draft.

twitch54

« Reply #375 on: 11 Apr 2024, 06:33 pm »
I doubt few if any Bills fans will be shedding a tear ..........

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/oj-simpson-death-news-reaction-04-11-24/index.html

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #376 on: 12 Apr 2024, 10:55 am »
I doubt few if any Bills fans will be shedding a tear ..........

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/oj-simpson-death-news-reaction-04-11-24/index.html

Interesting.  You're the Bills expert of course, but was his marvelous football record tainted by the subsequent events?  I have a radical conspiracy level view.  I don't think he did it.  If you look at the facts I think it points to his son committing the murders.  I realize that's kinda crazy town, but if you have an open mind it's possible he willingly took the heat for his son.  The popular view is that he got away with murder and so when he was railroaded on the fake robbery charges nobody cared, he was being punished for what he got away with.  Regardless, a tragic story all around.

twitch54

« Reply #377 on: 12 Apr 2024, 06:54 pm »
Interesting.  You're the Bills expert of course, but was his marvelous football record tainted by the subsequent events?  I have a radical conspiracy level view.  I don't think he did it.  If you look at the facts I think it points to his son committing the murders.  I realize that's kinda crazy town, but if you have an open mind it's possible he willingly took the heat for his son.  The popular view is that he got away with murder and so when he was railroaded on the fake robbery charges nobody cared, he was being punished for what he got away with.  Regardless, a tragic story all around.

The LA prosecution team was an absolute pathetic assemblage of half assed attorneys. As for his playing days, one of the best no doubt. I believe he was a bi-polar whack job. He lost the civil case and paid next to nothing, glad he's gone .........

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #378 on: 12 Apr 2024, 08:02 pm »
The LA prosecution team was an absolute pathetic assemblage of half assed attorneys. As for his playing days, one of the best no doubt. I believe he was a bi-polar whack job. He lost the civil case and paid next to nothing, glad he's gone .........

I agree with your post, what's her name made the jury and everyone watching hate her.  I would note that civil trials have a much lower burden of proof, you must only believe by a 51% preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt.  That could have been done in this case without any evidence, such was the appetite for the public to convict him of something.  I certainly thought he was guilty beyond any doubt at the time.  It's hard to understand people who've had everything given to them since junior high, they are often different from us   But as the years passed by so much didn't make sense.  No one will know for sure.. 

twitch54

« Reply #379 on: 13 Apr 2024, 01:31 pm »
  But as the years passed by so much didn't make sense.  No one will know for sure..

heck, I'm 70 years old and still waiting to find out who killed JFK .......... :wink: