Preamp tube gain

Emil

Preamp tube gain
« on: 19 May 2024, 08:02 pm »
Good afternoon

I've decided to replace the supplied Psvane 12a7x of my Black Ice F22 integrated with some new production Mullard that I had that were purchased from Upscale Audio. What is happening is that with the Psvane, I was happy with the volume set at 10-11 o'clock. With the Mullards, which I find preferable, the volume needs to turned to around 2-3pm. What gives? I would like to stay with the Mullards but dialing it up concerns me. Should I be? Should I look for a "high gain" 12ax7? Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance

Charles Xavier

Re: Preamp tube gain
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2024, 08:08 pm »
I dont think there is a higher gain 12ax7. How is the Black Ice sounding?

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:12 am »
What is happening is that with the Psvane, I was happy with the volume set at 10-11 o'clock. With the Mullards, which I find preferable, the volume needs to turned to around 2-3pm. What gives?

The Psvanes just have higher gain than Mullards.
Maybe QC or maybe designed that way.

I would like to stay with the Mullards but dialing it up concerns me. Should I be?

As long as you have enough headroom left on the volume control to play your quietest recordings then don't be concerned.

Technically, the higher you turn up the volume pot, the less attenuation in the circuit, so the less noise and distortion you're adding to the signal. So the higher the knob the better, as long as you can always play loud enough.

Should I look for a "high gain" 12ax7? Is there such a thing?

All 12AX7s should be roughly the same gain, because circuits are designed for expected ranges of voltage and current. When those are exceeded there can be trouble.

I suspect the Psvane gain is too high, and the Mullard gain is normal, but it's just a guess.
I don't think the Mullard sounding better is related to the different gain.

If you have enough gain and you like the Mullard sound then no reason to keep looking.
Enjoy!

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:00 pm »
It appears that there is variability in the gain factor of 12ax7 tubes. Here's some comparisons. Call your tube vendor to discuss. They may have recommendations for your equipment and can verify the difference in gain between brands.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-articles/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes

Emil

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:37 pm »
I'm a knucklehead   :duh:

The Mullards are 12AT7. NOT 12AX7
The AT7s have a gain factor of 70 while the AX7s have a gain factor of 100 which explains things.

Thanks all and sorry :oops:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:40 pm »
12at7 is a better sounding tube that the 12ax7, IME.  And the 12au7 sounds even better than the 12at7.  You should experiment if the circuit in your preamp allows it.