Battery Power Supply

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Battery Power Supply
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2015, 10:53 pm »
Very nice! :thumb:
I agree with the above lettering critique. However, does it need any labels at all? Maybe a power label but that's it. How about using a LED lit power switch?

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2015, 12:22 am by rajacat »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2015, 11:17 pm »
Are the LDR's power 24/7?  Thanks

kernelbob

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2015, 02:27 am »
I agree with the suggestion of not having any labels on the power supply.  Surely, an owner will quickly learn the meaning of the three LEDs and not need to read the labels when checking the status of the charger.

After all, there didn't seem to be a need to have labels for the display on the LDR preamps which is much more complex and multifunctional.

Think elegance, simplicity, minimalism.  Just my two cents.

Robert

TrungT

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2015, 02:59 am »
^^^^^^
+1
Less is more  :thumb:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2015, 02:59 am »
I agree with the suggestion of not having any labels on the power supply.  Surely, an owner will quickly learn the meaning of the three LEDs and not need to read the labels when checking the status of the charger.

After all, there didn't seem to be a need to have labels for the display on the LDR preamps which is much more complex and multifunctional.

Think elegance, simplicity, minimalism.  Just my two cents.

Robert

Having different colors next next to labels, looks good but is redundant.  If going the minimalist simplicity route, maybe use a single tri-color led with no labels.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2015, 04:25 am »
I vote for labels.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2015, 03:56 pm »
Here's a far more minimalist mock-up. Only 1 LED but it's tri-color - Blue, Red & Green. This is just artwork, not actual - so looks a bit cheesy.
The push button also has a green LED.

The LED would only be BLUE (unit on/off) or RED (low battery), the pushbutton would light up only when the battery was connected to the charger/charging. No labels.

kernelbob

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2015, 04:15 pm »
Looks great!  Very intuitively friendly.  Sort of like an anslog watch versus digital... less required mental processing.

33na3rd

« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2015, 04:41 pm »
Hi Morten,

Will the battery unit have an internal power supply, or external?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:05 pm »
I like the new mock-up.  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2015, 05:52 pm »
Hi Morten,

Will the battery unit have an internal power supply, or external?
It's all integral within the enclsore. There are actually two 12V 3.4 Ah sealed lead acid batteries wired in parallel plus the charger circuit board etc. It's very packed in there and quite heavy although I've yet to weigh it.

The reason we went with 2 batteries vs. 1 is twofold. Primarily its because we also intend for this to be 24 volt supply that can power a future buffer. The buffer will create a split voltage +\- 12 supply from the 24V with a virtual ground. Secondly, these were the biggest batteries we could find which fit like a glove in our existing extruded enclosure.

33na3rd

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2015, 07:23 pm »
It's all integral within the enclsore. There are actually two 12V 3.4 Ah sealed lead acid batteries wired in parallel plus the charger circuit board etc. It's very packed in there and quite heavy although I've yet to weigh it.

The reason we went with 2 batteries vs. 1 is twofold. Primarily its because we also intend for this to be 24 volt supply that can power a future buffer. The buffer will create a split voltage +\- 12 supply from the 24V with a virtual ground. Secondly, these were the biggest batteries we could find which fit like a glove in our existing extruded enclosure.

Thank you!

Will we be able to replace the batteries at home when that time comes?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #32 on: 19 Nov 2015, 01:12 am »
Thank you!

Will we be able to replace the batteries at home when that time comes?

Yes. The connection to the charger board is via quick disconnect "faston" spade lugs as is the connection to the batteries themselves. Even if the specific batteries are no longer available down the road you will always be able to find a 12 volt SLA battery that will fit the enclosure. Everything is accessible by removing the rear panel held by 4 screws. The panel, charger-board and batteries all slide out of the enclosure.

craig sawyers

« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:35 pm »

Yes. The connection to the charger board is via quick disconnect "faston" spade lugs as is the connection to the batteries themselves. Even if the specific batteries are no longer available down the road you will always be able to find a 12 volt SLA battery that will fit the enclosure. Everything is accessible by removing the rear panel held by 4 screws. The panel, charger-board and batteries all slide out of the enclosure.

Hi Morten

Is there a guide price yet?

Craig

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:57 pm »
Hi Morten

Is there a guide price yet?

Craig

Yes, I've just now finished going through compiling a complete parts/pricing list. Close to 60 individual parts that add up to almost 10 pounds of hardware fully assembled. Price will be $575. That will include shipping for US domestic. International shipping via USPS Priority will be $75 additional. Something less for Canada but haven't figured that out yet.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
PS12B Battery Power Supply
« Reply #35 on: 20 Nov 2015, 06:51 pm »
The PS12B Battery Power Supply is now available for pre-order on our website.  :thumb:

Having learned from our prior experiences that new products have never been released by our planned release date  I pushed the release date out an extra month in an attempt to catch up to reality. We'll see how that goes.  :o

Please note that with pre-orders you are not charged until the actual release date.

More info on the PS12B can be found here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/ps12b-battery-power-supply/

[Pic shows an LDR3.V2 preamp sitting on top of the PS12B Battery Power Supply]

DebGugel

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jan 2016, 05:48 pm »
As per my experience the LDR preamp controller doesn't require, nor would it benefit from, a regulated supply per se.
The controller board doesn't require a high bandwidth dynamic power supply as do conventional preamps. It does however like clean, low noise power.
Unregulated 12 V supplies can easily drift up into that range depending on the AC main voltage, transformer ratio etc.  This concern can be avoided by opting for our high precision op amp upgrade which also benefits auto calibration accuracy.

printed circuit board
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2016, 10:54 pm by DebGugel »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #37 on: 18 Jan 2016, 06:41 pm »
As per my experience the LDR preamp controller doesn't require, nor would it benefit from, a regulated supply per se.
The controller board doesn't require a high bandwidth dynamic power supply as do conventional preamps. It does however like clean, low noise power.
Unregulated 12 V supplies can easily drift up into that range depending on the AC main voltage, transformer ratio etc.  This concern can be avoided by opting for our high precision op amp upgrade which also benefits auto calibration accuracy.

Was there a question there?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:01 pm »
Will this PS12B battery PS be offered as a 'full kit' or 'partial kit' to implement in designs already using the Tortuga LDR system?

Thanks,
Anand.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jan 2016, 07:07 pm »
Will this PS12B battery PS be offered as a 'full kit' or 'partial kit' to implement in designs already using the Tortuga LDR system?

Thanks,
Anand.

Sorry for slow response on this. At least to start with we aren't planning on a kit version of the PS12B. That may change down the road.