Why are loudspeaker enclosure shapes so dumb?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Why are loudspeaker enclosure shapes so dumb?
« Reply #100 on: 31 Aug 2022, 11:59 am »
40 years ago I had I. M. Fried Model M (derivatives of the famous "coffin" Model H) 6 cubic foot passive woofer cabinets that were capable of 114 dB at 17 Hz.  More powerful than any room I'd ever afford, but with 20 wpc sounded magnificent in a 20,000 cubic foot chapel.  They used a tri-folded transmission line design that Fried was a genius at developing.  Not only powerful but dynamic and musical.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #102 on: 31 Aug 2022, 05:05 pm »
Fried Model M...passive woofer cabinets that were capable of 114 dB at 17 Hz.

A B200 SP1022 (in any enclosure) is incapable of reaching that far or playing that loud. Maybe that loud higher up on transients.

https://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/friedH/fried_H.html

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #103 on: 31 Aug 2022, 05:06 pm »
Anyone bring up Ed Schilling's subwoofer in a bucket yet?

He has certainly been one ro promote it. Nothing new thou.

dave

JLM

« Reply #104 on: 1 Sep 2022, 01:04 pm »
A B200 SP1022 (in any enclosure) is incapable of reaching that far or playing that loud. Maybe that loud higher up on transients.

https://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/friedH/fried_H.html

dave

Thanks for the super monitor sketch.  My bass boxes were slightly smaller, 24 inches by 36 inches by 12 inches but the same design.  You're probably right about spl/frequency manufacturer's specifications.  But they were very powerful (and musical). 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #105 on: 1 Sep 2022, 02:58 pm »
they were very powerful (and musical).

:^)

We sold a few, more Hs thou. Most of the traffic were Rs and Cs.

dave

JLM

« Reply #106 on: 2 Sep 2022, 12:46 pm »
:^)

We sold a few, more Hs thou. Most of the traffic were Rs and Cs.

dave

Had no idea you'd been a Fried dealer.  I bought Bs while in college (which I upgraded), Ms (which I kit built), and a couple pair of Qs.  A friend had Cs that he kit built, very impressive but he's modified them over the years to suit his tastes and gear.  As I recall the Rs were "line tunnels" (like the Qs) and sold during his hay day.  I visited him once in Philly.  His family was in real estate.  His office was very understated.  The listening room was maybe 15ft x 15ft x 30ft and covered in stacks of audio magazines, about 8 pair of his speakers, and a card table with a cheap Garrard turntable with a Onyko receiver underneath on more piles of magazines (circa 1979).  No treatments, in fact the front wall was plate glass windows. 

Scott Joplin

« Reply #107 on: 2 Sep 2022, 03:06 pm »
With three GR Research dual OB servo subs, I'm a big fan of open baffle designs. The downside is you need several OB subs. I think a quad of triples would be ideal for tremendously musical bass. If given a choice, I'd create a hybrid speaker -- OB on the bass, enclosed midrange, and horn-loaded highs.

Hi, I agree about the sound of OB bass, quite sublime and definitely more realistic and musical, I put it down to being non resonant and it doesn't pressurise the room like other kinds of speaker.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #108 on: 2 Sep 2022, 06:41 pm »
Had no idea you'd been a Fried dealer.

Bud came visit us once. He took my idea of a “pyramidal mid/top box and expanded on the idea in the M design, so i had a small cntribution to your loudspeaker design.

This what i showed him, he added a 3rd sloped side.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/SoundHoundsPyramid-B110-T27.pdf

dave