flooring ?'s

Rob S.

flooring ?'s
« on: 13 Oct 2011, 07:18 pm »
Hi,
     We're remodeling our family room, pulling up carpet and my wife wants wood flooring to go down.  This will worsen the noise to the room below it which is our guest bedroom.  It was already noisy with the carpet and carpet pad down but I know it will be even louder in that bedroom after the wood floor goes down.  Is there anything I can put on the rough mdf boards prior to the hardwood floor being nailed down?

The room floor level is about a 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the kitchen wood floor that is adjacent to it, so I could put down something to raise the floor to match the kitchen level and deaden the sound to the bedroom underneath. 

Thanks,

Rob S.

Big Red Machine

Re: flooring ?'s
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2011, 07:36 pm »
http://www.acoustiguard.com/Barrier-materials/mass-loaded-vinyl/

If you can isolate the wood as much as is practical to inhibit its transmission of clicking heels, etc.  that really helps.  Short of suspending the floor you can't do too much now except equal or better carpet absorption.  Is the ceiling of the room below insulated?  If not, bring up sections of the OSB and insulate that space while you can.  Even cellulose blown into each joist cavity might help and be way less work.

Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2011, 03:48 am »
Thanks BRM,
       Don't know about any insulation under the floor and between the joists.  I'll find out tomorrow.  Have you ever had the cellulose blown into floor joist cavities?  Think that works as well as one of the barrier rolls?  and costs less?  the room is 13 x 21.

Rob

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:23 pm »
You could also use acoustic sealant to fill the gaps between the mdf boards.

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/sealant.htm

(This is a UK site)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:51 pm »
To even out the 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference and add a bit of acoustic isolation, I'd recommend adding a 1/4 inch fan-fold styrofoam insulation (it comes in 4 ft by 50 ft "bales") under the wood. 

This would produce a "floating" floor (you didn't say if this would be a "real" hardwood floor or laminate). 

Check with the professional supplier/installer first.

some young guy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:23 pm »
You could give this stuff a whirl... http://www.acoustiblok.com/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:42 pm »
http://www.acoustiguard.com/Barrier-materials/mass-loaded-vinyl/

If you can isolate the wood as much as is practical to inhibit its transmission of clicking heels, etc.  that really helps.  Short of suspending the floor you can't do too much now except equal or better carpet absorption.  Is the ceiling of the room below insulated?  If not, bring up sections of the OSB and insulate that space while you can.  Even cellulose blown into each joist cavity might help and be way less work.

Excellent products. When you do the floor allow a 1/2" gap at rhe wall juncture and use acoustical cauling to fill the air gap. The base mldg will cover the caulking allow the floor to still float and seal any entry points.  Have fun trying.

charles
SMA

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:55 pm »
Are you set on real hard wood flooring? I ask because there are some engineered wood manufacturers (actually use a few mm of real wood) that have acoustic barrier options. I've never seen this offered by real hard wood suppliers.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:43 am »
Check out a supplier they have options for you.  They have products that are used in buildings with concrete floors

I'd recommend cellulose as well.   Blown cellulose is very, very good for airborne noise such as conversation or music but will not stop noise from impacts.  Around  here cellulose goes for 2$ a square foot and needs to be installed by a qualified and reputable installer because you cannot visually inspect his work.  Also, in-ceiling lights must be in a metal box used for insulated ceilings.  Once the stuff is in there any renovations involving the ceiling will be messy and forget about fishing wires.