How'd they squeeze all that in there??? Or The minis Aint so MINI!

mcullinan

Oboes, acoustic guitar, electic guitar, standing bass, alto sax, trombone, drums.. perhaps someone playing a kitchen sink?
First. My sub went off and the family went out! I turned the SP Techs up to what Id consider a moderate level.. No wife with the peg leg to brandish me with the tattoo of turn it down please. hehe.

The SpTech Minis are perhaps one of the most linear speakers I have ever heard. And nothing is covered and everything is exposed. Exposed, you say and I say the minis play some of the most real, live sounding instruments I have ever heard with my ears. While my ears are getting a treat playing some Grateful Dawg, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, my eyes are going buggy from the realistic pluck of the mandolin/guitar. The leading edge of the Mandolin leading to the depth of the rest of the note, something which is a nuance but has gone amiss with my Merlins. HEaven in some solid, tank like well built, over built creations from someone who could only be a mad scientist of sorts. His name is common enough, but his effort/ knowledge, near heroic.

Ok Im waxing. Yes the Merlins are to die for musical. And they are equally extended, but somewhere along the line they add a subtle color and lose the linearity and that magic that makes a voice or instrument alive. The Merlins are close though. But it is all in the subtelty that makes a world of difference.

Now I dont have any pipe organ music and they are minis, but not so mini... but they flesh out probably 95 percent of the instruments with depth, breath, air, solid exposure. Good stuff!

The minis have been loved while they are here and will be missed. Dont worry I put a giant condom over the minis before I romanced them! Wow! That is SICK.

Id like to thank Lonewolf for the opportunity to listen to them, a real treat.

Also Im probably reviewing on more of an emotional level than scientific, so take it for what its worth.
Peace!  :thumb:
Mike

Big Red Machine

When a speaker gets you that emotional, then that is a very good thing.  They must be special for you to go on so excitedly! :banana piano:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Mike, how much toe-in did you use on the mini's? Thanks. :D

Cheers,
Robin

ooheadsoo

That's one of the most positive reviews I've read, yet.  Don't you have a pair coming for yourself, Mike?

:dance:

RodMCV

And I thought Jim Merod waxed poetic.

You speak now as a true SP TECH initiate, Bravo!

mcullinan

Toed in fairly significantly, about 40 degrees and a little over 7 ft apart and Im about 8 or so ft away from the baffles. I told you I waxed. lol.. wax on wax off.
Mike

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Thats EXACTLY how I feel about my Minis, minus the condom part,............... I use no condom.  :green:

Double Ugly

A short trip down memory lane serves to illustrate how good these remarkable speakers can sound under the worst of conditions...

As things warmed up and an hour or so later, Bob carried the last Timepiece Mini over to the "auditioning area" where Tim and I proceded to wire them up, position them (per Bob's instruction) and listen for the very first time.

Important note, Tim Sheltons cabinet finishing is as beautiful as a polished No.1 showcar rolling down the Barrett Jackson auction line.  :green:

Fresh outta the bag, not even near to being broken in, and yet within the first few notes, Tim and I both looked at each other at the very same moment and busted out laughing.  :lol: :lol:

We could not believe how huge and awesome the Timepiece Minis sounded, they nearly equaled the damn Revelations, and flat-out disappeared !!  :duh:

Tim and I were both stunned, Bob just stood behind, quietly smiling as I witnessed a moment of audio history.

Mind you, this was taking place in a huge, wide-open, free-air space warehouse, with a bare concrete floor, no special acoustical treatment (except for some panels) and an MP-3 player for a front end !  aa

Bob then proceeded to give me a grand tour of the warehouse facility, showing me all the cross over components and the various stages of cabinet construction from start to finish.

At this time, we were all the way at the other end of the warehouse, approx. 150 feet or so AWAY from the Timepiece Minis (still playing) standing and talking, when I REALIZED at how room filling and spectacular the Timepiece Minis SOUNDED ............. THIS FAR AWAY !!  :duh: :duh:

Tim said "yeah, it sounds like a band playing down there"  :lol:

No matter where you sit, stand or how far away, the SP Tech speakers will remind you how speakers can and should sound, no head-in-a-vice sweetspot anymore, the sweetspot is EVERYWHERE.  :thumb: :thumb:

How many speakers have that ability ?  I can't remember in all my experience.

:thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Toed in fairly significantly, about 40 degrees and a little over 7 ft apart and Im about 8 or so ft away from the baffles. I told you I waxed. lol.. wax on wax off.
Mike

Thanks Mike. You're always waxed. You remind me of the good ole' days.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

About how many hours are on these?  ie, are they broken in yet?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

John....

They started out with about 60 hours on them.... + BobM's audition time ? .....and now + Mike's (mcullinan) audition time ?  :thumb:

mcullinan

John....

They started out with about 60 hours on them.... + BobM's audition time ? .....and now + Mike's (mcullinan) audition time ?  :thumb:

Mine would be about 40 hours. :) Bob?
Mike