Anyone using Van Alstine gear with SP tech?

groovybassist

Anyone using Van Alstine gear with SP tech?
« on: 24 Jun 2008, 04:16 pm »
Just curious if anyone has any experience using Van Alstine electronics with SP Tech speakers, especially the Timepiece Mini?  Thanks!

-Mike

rockadanny

Re: Anyone using Van Alstine gear with SP tech?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2008, 08:13 pm »
Got the amp (Fet Valve Ultra 550) but not the speakers.
If anyone in the Atlanta area has the speakers but not the amp and is also curious, let's hook them up and write about it here.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2008, 01:33 am »
I will be using a non-ultra 550 with the Timepiece 3.0 when they arrive.  I am currently using them with the SPTech AV-2.  They sound great!  They also sound great with the Odyssey Stratos, but I picked up the 550ex for the added power to be used with the TP 3.0.  I'll find out how that pairing goes when it arrives.  However, I'm not one to nitpick the last 2% of the sound.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:02 am »
I will be using a non-ultra 550 with the Timepiece 3.0 when they arrive.

Didn't you have a Stratos a little while back?  How did that mate with the TP?  (short attention span)  I was interested in that amp but as I recall, you didn't want to ship it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:16 am »
Just curious if anyone has any experience using Van Alstine electronics with SP Tech speakers, especially the Timepiece Mini?  Thanks!
Mike....
I think it should work out OK. Were you thinking....the Fet Valve Ultra 550 Amplifier ? Nice to have more than enough power.... :wink:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:55 am »
I will be using a non-ultra 550 with the Timepiece 3.0 when they arrive.

Didn't you have a Stratos a little while back?  How did that mate with the TP?  (short attention span)  I was interested in that amp but as I recall, you didn't want to ship it.

Yes, the Stratos issue is up in the air.  Since no one seems to want it even at a ridiculously low give away price, locally, I'll probably end up hanging on to it until the TP 3.0 arrives, and then, if I stop being a lazy bum, I might even give it a whirl with the TP 3.0 along with the AVA 550EX.

groovybassist

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2008, 06:11 pm »
Chris:

I don't know what I'm thinking yet!  I'm currently running a Naim Nait5i - love the PRat and drive of it, but am curious what (if any) impact moving up the power scale would do (a smidgen more warmth wouldn't hurt either).  Of course, I LOVE the simplicity of one box solutions, so the integrated sparks my interest most.  I don't have a clue though about AVA's sound, hence the question.  Thanks.

-Mike