0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Rx8man Visits SP Technology

Rx8man

Rx8man Visits SP Technology
« on: 10 Feb 2008, 08:08 pm »
AudioCircle SP Tech Gang :

I gassed up and drove 300 miles to the manufacturing facility known as
SP Technolgy, to visit  Bob Smith and  "cabinet-extraordinaire" Tim Shelton.

Describing the location as being in the middle of no-where-ville would be an understatement !

It was like entering an abandoned "Area 51", the roads went-on forever, long and dark.

One wrong turn, an empty gas tank and a dead cell phone, you're parked !!

Anyway, I reached destination point R-5-4, knocked on the door and Bob's voice yelled "COME ON IN" !

The place is HUGE, my best guess is 200' long x 50' wide x 20' + high.

This and the other dozen or so identical warehouse facilities in the same fenced area, were used for manufacturing bombs in the earlier days of World War 2.

Bob, Tim and I talked about EVERYTHING from instruments, pro-audio, recording, sound mixing to hi-fi two channel reproduction in the home and their interactive relationships to one another.

Standing off to the side, Tim and I carefully watched and listened as Bob explained and performed tweaking procedures on a pair of Timepiece Minis to match frequency responses on a graph with a carefully positioned microphone, this was way cool !

A short while later, Tim and I hooked up my NuForce amps to a fresh pair of Revelations in the "auditioning area" fired up the rest of the rig and cued up a CD, while leaving Bob un-disturbed to attend his finishing chores on the Timepiece Minis.

My reaction was the same as I heard over Teds house, WOW (Tim concured)

As things warmed up and an hour or so later, Bob carried the last Timepiece Mini over to the "auditioning area" where Tim and I proceded to wire them up, position them (per Bob's instruction) and listen for the very first time.

Important note, Tim Sheltons cabinet finishing is as beautiful as a polished No.1 showcar rolling down the Barrett Jackson auction line.  :green:

Fresh outta the bag, not even near to being broken in, and yet within the first few notes, Tim and I both looked at each other at the very same moment and busted out laughing.  :lol: :lol:

We could not believe how huge and awesome the Timepiece Minis sounded, they nearly equaled the damn Revelations, and flat-out disappeared !!  :duh:

Tim and I were both stunned, Bob just stood behind, quietly smiling as I witnessed a moment of audio history.

Mind you, this was taking place in a huge, wide-open, free-air space warehouse, with a bare concrete floor, no special acoustical treatment (except for some panels) and an MP-3 player for a front end !  aa

Bob then proceeded to give me a grand tour of the warehouse facility, showing me all the cross over components and the various stages of cabinet construction from start to finish.

At this time, we were all the way at the other end of the warehouse, approx. 150 feet or so AWAY from the Timepiece Minis (still playing) standing and talking, when I REALIZED at how room filling and spectacular the Timepiece Minis SOUNDED ............. THIS FAR AWAY !!  :duh: :duh:

Tim said "yeah, it sounds like a band playing down there"  :lol:

No matter where you sit, stand or how far away, the SP Tech speakers will remind you how speakers can and should sound, no head-in-a-vice sweetspot anymore, the sweetspot is EVERYWHERE.  :thumb: :thumb:

How many speakers have that ability ?  I can't remember in all my experience.

I wanted to stay longer, but it was getting late, the weather was turning bad and I had to pack up and leave,  so I shook hands with Bob and Tim, wishing them both the greatest of sucess.

SP Technology is a company with the "true promise" to deliver the sound like a gigantic tidal wave of unfettered sound, no matter which model you choose.

« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2009, 05:26 am by Rx8man »

Geardaddy

Re: Rx8man Visits SP Technology
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2008, 09:29 pm »
Very kool Pat.  You are on your way.... 8)

Albireo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2008, 09:34 pm »
As things warmed up and an hour or so later, Bob carried the last Timepiece Mini over to the "auditioning area" where Tim and I proceded to wire them up, position them (per Bob's instruction) and listen for the very first time.
Bob, are those mine, are those mine, are those mine?! :hyper:

This was a très cool post! I've always wondered what Bob's place of magic looked like and it is absolutely wonderful to be able to put it in the context of his work and the surrounding countryside. I'm over the moon that my Minis will be finished by Tim as well.

Can't wait for your return to Building R-5-4 ....

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2008, 09:43 pm »
Pat,

I want to thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to brave the elements and the 300+ mile one-way trip to come visit us.  It wa an honor to have met you and I sure wish we could have been better hosts.  Hopefully next time it will be a little warmer. :oops:  Thankfully you made it home safely. :thumb:

Again... to everyone.  If you don't mind the factory setting, you are all more than welcome to pay us a visit.  As Pat can testify to, the accommodations aren't much to speak of, but we think you'd like the sounds you'll hear. aa

Take care,
-Bob

PS.  If you're lucky, maybe we'll spot one of those UFOs. :lol:  (Only half kidding... this place has secret areas market by government warning signs that no one is allowed into.  :o )

Rx8man

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2008, 10:14 pm »
Bob,

Next time we'll do lunch or dinner bro !  :D

The experience was a blast, just wish I had more time.  :(

Speaking of UFO's, on that dark of a night I could have used a little "guiding light home" !   :lol:

Beam me up Scotty !  :lol:

« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 11:47 pm by Rx8man »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2008, 10:38 pm »
Very nice Patrick!!  Wish I could have come along.  Next time I will.  For all these SP Tech speakers I'm committed to, I've yet to visit the Galactic HQ at R-5-4.  Sounds like one of those Federal bomb making facilities that doubles as a front for a 10 sublevel state of the art CIA facility.  Bob moves one of his chairs and opens up the titanium doors to the compound.  He lives on sublevel 7, sector 4, with post-modern furniture and wayy cool sounding hydraulic doors.   :smoke:

So, you think I overbought on the Revs?? :D :D  Timepiece Minis at 80% of the sound for 20% of the money??  Ah......but that last 20%. :wine:

Just kidding to all you Timepiece Mini owners and soon-to-be owners.   You are to be congratulated.  It's really only probably the last 5% that cost so damn much.   :thumb:

Rx8man

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2008, 11:14 pm »
Hey Ted,

If you feel you overbought on the Revs, just let me drive over and take them off your hands !!  :lol: :lol:

The night trip home was miserable : Rain, snow, sleet, black ice, 18 wheelers everywhere and I was thinking "Mr State Trooper, please don't stop me:roll:
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 11:49 pm by Rx8man »

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2008, 11:35 pm »
Ted,

:nono: :shake:  Uh-ohhh...that's not good.  Didn't you read the fine print in the contract I had you sign?  Even if you didn't I would have thought the "TOP SECRET: For Your Eyes Only" stamped on the front page would have been enough. :duh:  That's just great.  Now the MIC in the guise of Homeland Security will probably shut down the AC server. :dunno:  I just knew the Patriot Act would end up backfiring on us.

Whatever...All I know is that I don't want your wife and kids to come knocking on my door asking questions... after the MIB take you away!!!  :o

-Bob

PS.  Pat... I hope you don't make Ted's mistake.  I can't afford for my customers to keep coming up missing. :roll: I mean, government subsidies aren't all they're cracked up to be - we still have to sell some product. :wink:

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

bhobba

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2008, 06:21 am »
We could not believe how huge and awesome the Timepiece Minis sounded, they nearly equaled the damn Revelations, and flat-out disappeared !!  :duh: Tim and I were both stunned, Bob just stood behind, quietly smiling as I witnessed a moment of audio history.

Like I have said before - I believe the Minis will be a classic to equal the legendary Gale 402's.  And a friggen bargain to boot.  Looking forward to mine - but as I have told Bob before - I ma in no hurry.

Thanks
Bill

Christof

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2008, 01:43 pm »
Describing the location as being in the middle of no-where-ville would be an understatement !

It was like entering an abandoned "Area 51", the roads went-on forever, long and dark.

One wrong turn, an empty gas tank and a dead cell phone, you're parked !!

If you would have gotten lost, you might have found yourself here, where the hills have eyes.

Geardaddy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2008, 02:33 pm »
That's a kool and slightly haunting picture.  Anyway, in talking with Pat about his odyssey, I did not expect the minis to feature as prominently as they have.  I agree with bhobba   ...they may be pound for pound and $ for $ the most stellar performer and a potential classic. 8)

p.s.  I get the feeling Ted could be potentially overwhelmed with ADs doing center and surround duty....eeeow.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:39 pm »
Overwhelm me...overwhelm me.... :hyper: :hyper:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:53 am »
Rx8man....
I gassed up and drove 300 miles to the manufacturing facility known as
SP Technolgy, to visit  Bob Smith and  "cabinet-extraordinaire" Tim Shelton.
Did you happen to bring along a camera ?  Got photo's ?  :hyper:

Rx8man

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:30 am »
Lonewolf,

No, but Tim Shelton took a couple pictures of the set-up during my first visit.

My "Spring-Summer Visit" gets the full camera / video treatment by helping to provide in-depth coverage of the people involved, stages of construction and the components used.

During that time, I'll be volunteering various chores throughout the warehouse facility, whatever Bob deems necessary at the moment.

Sorta like an Al Porter coverage thingy, only done MY way.  :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:40 am »
Lonewolf,

No, but Tim Shelton took a couple pictures of the set-up during my first visit.

My "Spring-Summer Visit" gets the full camera / video treatment by helping to provide in-depth coverage of the people involved, stages of construction and the components used.

During that time, I'll be volunteering various chores throughout the warehouse facility, whatever Bob deems necessary at the moment.

Sorta like an Al Porter coverage thingy, only done MY way.  :wink:

Sounds good....thanks !! :thumb:

jfreeman373

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:14 am »
Chris,!?
How did you get back there to get those pictures ? That's a fenced in area! Have any more? Would love to see them. Was the gate left open or are you on the BIO-Tech payroll ?

Christof

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:04 pm »

:wink: