New thread for Mini reviews/feedback

jfreeman373

Re: New thread for Mini reviews/feedback
« Reply #40 on: 10 Dec 2007, 12:21 am »
The S-9's cabinet construction is highly complex with a high material cost, very labor intensive, slow to make..... but very rigid. The throughput capability on the MINI's is much higher due to simpler construction. They are really 2 different birds and aren't really comparable.

Rocket

« Reply #41 on: 10 Dec 2007, 11:11 am »
Hi,

Well I seem to have upset a couple of people and of course that wasn't my intention  :?.  Here is part of post that I made after I purchased the s9's.

Okay, enough of my ramblings your speakers sound very good.  I usually use speakers that use ribbon tweeters and your design is the best dome tweeter I've heard, its all there to hear afaik.  The midrange is very transparent and takes on a semi-liquid quality using my SOA and the bass is pretty good and hits me in the chest just like I like it.  I find I'm not listening to my speakers quite as loud as the bass is sufficient for my needs.  The speakers handle all round music and in particular female vocalists sound great.  The speakers look a treat and I also bought a Solid Tech speaker stand as they match the austhetics really well.  I'm really tapping my foot listening to music thru these speakers and its a measure of their musicality.

Regards

Rod

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 10 Dec 2007, 05:28 pm »
Rod,

No offense taken whatsoever.  After re-reading my post I can see where I came off looking a little irritated - which actually wasn't the case at all.  The fact is that since there are a number of S-9 owners out there and you never know who will "pop in," I didn't want the thread to get off on a tangent. 

I have to be sure as to not allow comparisons of our stuff to be made to the NuForce product - at least not here on the SP Tech circle.  That's not good for them or us.  There are considerable differences in the design and even more significantly, the design criteria and market objectives.  We think differently and have different opinions regarding our marketing strategies - which most would expect.

I am proud of what we were able to accomplish working with NuForce and I think the S-9 is a very viable product.  On the other hand, we have made different decisions as to our own product's construction and performance objectives that I believe are unique unto themselves and that offer substantial value as well.  In the end we must let the market decide which - if either - that it prefers and be careful not to either demean NuForce product or our own in the process. 

That's a fine line to tread so the prudent thing to do is to "leave it alone" on the SP Tech circle.  If folks want to compare and post elsewhere, "may the force be with you."  In fact, I encourage such and look forward to reading the comments.  In the end I believe SP Tech products will "hold their own" just fine. :wink:

But please... I took no offense and I sincerely hope you didn't either.  I'm sure glad to hear that you're enjoying the S-9s and wish you the best. :thumb:

Take care,
-Bob

bhobba

« Reply #43 on: 10 Dec 2007, 07:36 pm »
Hi Rod

Well I seem to have upset a couple of people and of course that wasn't my intention  :?

I hope I am not one of those people who you thought was upset.  I greatly value your input and enjoy your posts.  Keep it up  :thumb:

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #44 on: 10 Dec 2007, 10:53 pm »
If folks want to compare and post elsewhere, "may the force be with you."  In fact, I encourage such and look forward to reading the comments. 

Lonewolfy and gang how about it?

In the end I believe SP Tech products will "hold their own" just fine. :wink:

So do I.

Thanks
Bill

Double Ugly

« Reply #45 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:55 am »
If folks want to compare and post elsewhere, "may the force be with you."  In fact, I encourage such and look forward to reading the comments.

Lonewolfy and gang how about it?

I believe Chris ("Lonewolfy") might've provided some insight in a post he made yesterday, Bill -

Well....I do own other speakers Jason....but none are as good as the SP Tech's.... :rock:

Granted, he's referring only to speakers he owns, but given his stockpile of equipment, it's relatively telling.  :lol:

FWIW, if I were seeking advice about anything audio or music related, Chris would be the first person I'd go to... by a landslide.  The man knows music!   :notworthy:

I'm just happy his opinion happens to agree with mine this time!  :D  :lol:
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2007, 01:31 am by Double Ugly »

groovybassist

« Reply #46 on: 12 Dec 2007, 06:23 am »
I typically don't listen to music too loud, but on the suggestion of folks in this forum, I took the opportunity today to crank up my Timepiece Mini's to a pretty decent level.  All I can say is very sweet.  The additional volume didn't seem to introduce any harshness or tizzle, and the bass/drums stayed tight in lock step.  I'm pretty sure I had them louder than any speaker I've owned before and they didn't sound strained or lose their composure at all.  They definitely sounded like MUCH bigger speakers than they really are.  I'm not running a tremendous amount of horsepower (Naim Nait5i - 50W channel), but I was able to get them very loud with the volume around 11:00 - a testament to their reasonable efficiency.  While the Naim is capable of putting 500W into 1-ohm (for a short burst I'm sure), more horsepower would likely increase the slam and lock things together even more at higher volumes.  I'm not planning on changing equipment now, but maybe down the road a bit...

I'd be interested in hearing others experiences as they get their Mini's.  Cheers!

-Mike

P.S.  I still haven't made any effort to modify/improve the setup - I'm really amazed they needed so little care in positioning.  Definitely not what I've experienced with other speakers, most of which have required a fair amount of time to get the bass balanced with the rest of the spectrum.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #47 on: 12 Dec 2007, 06:28 am »
 :rock:......Thanks Mike !!!!  :thumb:

emmaco

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jun 2008, 04:38 pm »
Came across this thread a little late I suppose.

Ironically I'm both a Gale owner and Mini owner.   Pair of GS401a with the chrome stands/GT-2101 turntable and currently down to a Riley Elf Mk III.  Owned three MkI Cooper S's and one of the new ones as well.

You may be interested in checking out our Gale Google Group- please join if you're interested....  lots of interesting information.

http://groups.google.com/group/gale-audio?hl=en

John