DAC Upgrade Advice, budget $5k

nature boy

Re: DAC Upgrade Advice, budget $5k
« Reply #20 on: 8 Sep 2021, 10:47 pm »
Holo Audio May DAC is an R2R design that's getting pretty much universal praise by owners, and the levels 1 and 2 are within the budget.

+1

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2021, 03:26 am »
My PS Audio DirectStream DAC has the Bridge II network adapter card installed. This allows me to play music from my server in two ways: an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable from the SOtM sound card in the server to the USB input of the DAC or over my home network via Ethernet cable. The server and DAC are connected to the same Netgear switch.

Using the Bridge instead of the USB cable provides a cleaner, more pleasing sound. In my case, the best sounding USB cable is no USB cable. However, this only works when the streamer is part of the DAC. If they’re separate the streamer would still have to be connected to the DAC which is usually with USB. Though the signal going into the USB cable is going to be a lot cleaner from a streamer than from a server.

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2021, 04:06 am »
mlundy

Have you done the transformer upgrade yet?  It make a pretty big improvement but still not up to the level of the May KTE.  The transformers are only $78 dollars for the pair including shipping and if you are comfortable with your soldering skills a fairly straight forward mod.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2021, 03:42 am »
My PS Audio DirectStream DAC has the Bridge II network adapter card installed. This allows me to play music from my server in two ways: an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable from the SOtM sound card in the server to the USB input of the DAC or over my home network via Ethernet cable. The server and DAC are connected to the same Netgear switch.

Using the Bridge instead of the USB cable provides a cleaner, more pleasing sound. In my case, the best sounding USB cable is no USB cable. However, this only works when the streamer is part of the DAC. If they’re separate the streamer would still have to be connected to the DAC which is usually with USB. Though the signal going into the USB cable is going to be a lot cleaner from a streamer than from a server.

I was recently able to audition the PSA Directstream DAC w/Bridge II and with the latest "Sunlight" software update.   Listening to direct streams from Quboz and Tidal MQA and a few local hi-res files  I concur that it sounded extremely clear with a big wide and deep soundstage.   No muffled sound whatsoever in this system. 

PS Audio has stated that connecting through the Bridge results in the highest quality sound, even better than i2s.

JackD

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2021, 04:19 am »
A replacement for the Directstream was announced months ago and if it wasn't for the Covid related parts supply issues would have been released this coming Month.  Now it has been pushed back to first quarter of 2022.  They said yesterday they are not anticipating any EOL inventory blowout or price reduction.  I would not invest in the current model new at this point.  I own the DS with Ted's recommended transformer upgrade, the Aqua La Voce S3 and the May KTE.  To my ears in multiple setups the Aqua bests the Directstream and the May KTE bests both of the others. All three have similar sound profiles. 

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2021, 01:29 am »
I imagine this is why there are a number of PS Audio Directstream products for sale on the used equipment boards.   Some selling at over a 50% discount from new.   A $6000 DS with the Sunlight update for $2500 isn't a bad deal at all.  Even if is a 2015 model, the latest firmware update brings it fully up to 2021 standards. 

JackD

« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2021, 01:46 am »
And the $200 transformer upgrade makes it more competitive as those are the transformers Ted spec'd originally before the bean counters used a cheaper part. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2021, 04:16 am »
Love my Holo Audio May KTE.  It exceeds your budget a bit, but the lower echelons are within budget.  The Intona USB cables and galvanic isolator sold by Holo Audio are good additions.  Just know that it takes a couple months to get and another couple months of a roller coaster break in, but you will be well rewarded.