OB Speakers in Small Rooms?

timc90

OB Speakers in Small Rooms?
« on: 2 Jan 2024, 09:22 pm »
Hi everyone and happy new year!

Most of the material I see about OB speakers show large listening rooms. Does anyone have recommendations for what OB speakers would be suitable for a room (bedroom 3 in image below) that is 4m by 3m by 2.7m (L x W x H - 13ft x 9.8ft x 8.8ft)?

I know OB speakers need to be 3 feet away from the front wall, but can they be placed close to side walls?

Thank you for any guidance!
Timothy

WGH

Re: OB Speakers in Small Rooms?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2024, 11:27 pm »
The GR Research NX-Studio sound excellent in a small room.
https://gr-research.com/product/nx-studio/
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2024, 04:51 am by WGH »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2024, 04:29 am »
I agree with WGH.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2024, 05:26 am »
As an owner of a house with a small 3rd bedroom (10lx12w) and also a set of NX-Studios, you aren't giving up anything with that speaker setup. Very favorable near the front wall or pulled out into the room. Small rooms like that will really boost the bass response to where subs will be recommended but almost optional depending on the genre. Treat the room heavily, keep the speakers on stands about 24" tall, and keep your seating off the back wall and you'll be about as good as can be given the space constraints. Pair with a single or pair of small sealed subs and you'll be a happy camper.

timc90

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2024, 04:40 pm »
Thank you all for the recommendations! I was hoping to at least squeeze in the NX-Oticas if I go with the NX series but will keep my mind open and read up about the NX-Studios :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2024, 05:55 pm »
I think your room is too small for the NX-Oticas because you'll also need separate bass towers and they take up a lot of room.  The NX-Studio's also need the subs but you can stack the NX-Studio on top of the dual OB subs and save a lot of space that way. 

timc90

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm »
Ah very valuable advice. My concern with the NX-Studios was that the M165NQ is in a sealed box which sort of defeats my hope of going OB. @nlitworld your testimony is therefore very reassuring! Thank you all :)