Help removing driver from VR5 HSE?

stewie

Help removing driver from VR5 HSE?
« on: 7 Jun 2021, 09:12 pm »
Hello all,

I'm replacing one of the midrange Audax drivers on my vr5 hse's, and removed all four screws but cannot budge the driver from the cabinet. It seems to be set in some black stickum. Any advice? Thanks.
Stewie

Bob Stark

Re: Help removing driver from VR5 HSE?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2021, 12:04 am »
Hey Stewie,

Find a screw around the house with large threads--not fine threads.  The threads need to be a little wider than the one of the holes that a screw came out of.  Turn the large screw a couple turns until it is now lodged in the hole of the driver.  If it does not just pull out because it's still too small, start pulling gradually straight out and try to loosen the driver from the cabinet.  Do the same with every screw hole and slowly work your way around until it finally gives up and comes out.  You may have to continue this a second time around until you have success.  Goo luck!

Bob

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2021, 01:04 am »
If you don't have a fat sheet metal screw large enough then 2 smaller screws in the same hole works too. The screws should not go into the front baffle, just the driver install holes.

Do it right and the driver will look like a porcupine. A soft cotton pad, a block of wood and a Superbar gets the job done.

Work slowly round and round, I have read some Von Schweikert drivers are really glued in.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2021, 03:04 pm »
Stevie,  the pry bar and lever guy had a good idea. I would start with an ice pick and see if you can break the seal of the adhesive by scoring around the perimeter of the tweeter's outer edge. Another idea is a paint can opener they give you for free at the paint store. Once you get enough goop cleared to get a good(purchase),that little end, not the beer bottle opener, just might give you enough pull power to get the tweeter out. If you use the ice pick in any way put your free thumb over it for the safety factor, in case you slip. I learned the hard way ....Mark Korda

stewie

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2021, 03:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm out of town now, so the extraction will have to wait a few days, but I'll let you know how it works out.  Your assistance is much appreciated.
Cheers,
Stewie

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2021, 05:20 pm »
I concur with the large thread sheet metal or wood screw approach, (dry wall screws can work too) that will engage the driver basket but not the cabinet. I use pliers to pull on the screw and lift the driver out. It can take significant force sometimes so it takes some care to not damage the cabinet.
Prying the driver out almost always results in dinging the cabinet, so only try that as a last resort.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:07 pm »
..best call Leif at VSA and get directions on pulling a driver..there’s a trick to it.  Good luck..

stewie

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2021, 05:17 pm »
Thanks, I'd written VS and Leif got in touch with me yesterday. He reiterated much of what's been said above, but added a couple of small details which are likely to prove helpful. Good people at VS, and on this board. Thanks again everyone.

all2ofme

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2021, 05:13 pm »
Hope you've managed to get it out ok :)

Would someone with some VR-5HSEs mind helping me with a bit of an odd request?

I have a spare set of Audax midrange drivers — the HM130Z12-8 — here (from when I had VR-5s), but since I now have the VR-7HSEs I wanted to make certain that these fit the VR-5HSEs. (They're too small for my VR-7s.)

The drivers are 136mm square — straight edge to straight edge. Does that match the ones in your VR-5HSEs? Pretty sure it will, but want to be 100% certain.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2021, 05:36 pm »
 If you can post a picture, I can confirm it.

all2ofme

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2021, 05:52 pm »
Thanks so much, Jon.

I've accounted for the parallax in the pic — the 136mm measurement is from the straight edge to the straight edge, and the widest point of the driver.

jonbee

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2021, 06:21 pm »
That's it.

all2ofme

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2021, 06:23 pm »
Thank you - great to have confirmation.

Will now go and find someone who needs a NIB pair more than my storage room does :)
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2021, 11:28 pm by all2ofme »